2014-15 vs 2016-18 Reliability

2015 High Country.  26k and so far perfect.  Another keeper.  Never been back to the dealer for anything,  not even recalls.   My opinion is,  "If It Aint Broke, Dont F### With It."  Change your   fluids when your suposed to,  gas it and drive it.  I would assume that these problem trucks on the forums are "Bought"  trucks and not leased trucks.  If I had a leased truck with problems,  I would suck it up and at the end of the lease, turn it in.  Case closed.  Luck of the draw.  If my bought truck had a lot of problems,  I would trade er in so fast that it would make your head spin.  Probablly not on another GM.  Life is too short to go through vehicle hassles with stupid dealerships that dont know what they are doing.  Out of the millions of trucks that are sold,  these forum problems are minor,  no mater what brand,  Ford or Chrysler.  Luck of the Draw!!!  You pick your truck, and you take your chances.  Thats life.  Most of these new trucks are great trucks........Im still driving my 07  Duramax......just another keeper.

10 hours ago, jgraves13 said:

Thanks for all the help! Ended up with a brand new 2018. No shake and no noticable transmission clunks

d00f4f6f859de459ac72feba5b9c752d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now that looks nice with the OEM wheels.  Some of the 'problems' seen here result from installing 'macho' big wheels and tires that change the geometry of the front suspension and ruin ball joints.  Hope you keep your OEM wheels!

Now that looks nice with the OEM wheels.  Some of the 'problems' seen here result from installing 'macho' big wheels and tires that change the geometry of the front suspension and ruin ball joints.  Hope you keep your OEM wheels!

I thought it looked pretty good with stock wheels/tires as well. Definitely going to keep it unmolested for awhile

• 1 month later...

I guess I fall somewhere in middle of the masses here, my 14 was a POS, and my 16 has been 99.9 % perfect. I personally think the 18 was a great decision. 

Edited by JimCost2014

1 hour ago, jgraves13 said:

Any mods such as catch can or AFM delete?

Try and do a catch can ASAP with your new '18. ASAP ASAP ASAP. Elite Engineering E2-X is a good one. I believe in tuning out the AFM (you don't have to do a delete kit). You can either use the range device and not risk your warranty, or you can get a tune and risk your warranty (but have a MUCH better performing truck).

Try and do a catch can ASAP with your new '18. ASAP ASAP ASAP. Elite Engineering E2-X is a good one. I believe in tuning out the AFM (you don't have to do a delete kit). You can either use the range device and not risk your warranty, or you can get a tune and risk your warranty (but have a MUCH better performing truck).

I have been tossing around the idea of a catch can, but have seen some examples of them voiding warranty so haven't decided yet

Paid for the extended warranty so would rather not do anything to jeopardize that

It's HIGHLY unlikely a dealership is going to flag your VIN for a catch can. You still NEED a catch can though, so here's what you can do. Get a catch can with in a single in and single exit (not a dual exit port can). This will allow you to turn it back to stock (takes about 20 minutes) before a dealership visit. There will be no cutting, drilling, etc. with a single in and single out can.

Here is a link to the Elite Engineering E2 can (not the E2-X can):

http://www.eliteengineeringusa.com/e2-catch-can/

And here is a link for the install (save the hoses he removes to turn it back to stock):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lL8F9vp3BYE

It's HIGHLY unlikely a dealership is going to flag your VIN for a catch can. You still NEED a catch can though, so here's what you can do. Get a catch can with in a single in and single exit (not a dual exit port can). This will allow you to turn it back to stock (takes about 20 minutes) before a dealership visit. There will be no cutting, drilling, etc. with a single in and single out can.

Here is a link to the Elite Engineering E2 can (not the E2-X can):
http://www.eliteengineeringusa.com/e2-catch-can/

And here is a link for the install (save the hoses he removes to turn it back to stock):

Thanks for the links! Seems simple enough. I will do a bit more research on the topic and go from there. From my understanding the catch can prevents to some extent carbon buildup on the valves? And the AFM delete will prevent the oil consumption issue?

• Like 1

I bought my 2018 last week because of the great things I kept hearing about the 2014's. My buddy owns one and he's praised it since day one, had an issue with the transmission that was covered under warranty, nothing major, quick fix. That's it. He loves that truck...smooth, quiet, good gas mileage.