2014-15 vs 2016-18 Reliability

I bought my 2018 last week because of the great things I kept hearing about the 2014's. My buddy owns one and he's praised it since day one, had an issue with the transmission that was covered under warranty, nothing major, quick fix. That's it. He loves that truck...smooth, quiet, good gas mileage. 

I've got almost 1000 miles on my 2018 now and I love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 5 weeks later...

This was a nice thread to read, seeing people who are actually happy with their trucks.

I've got a 15' with about 90k miles on it. (95% highway)

Leaking oil pan replaced (x2)

Transmission clunks since probably 500miles

engine seized and replace at 65k

front right strut seized, all 3 others leaking/sagging a bit. GM currently trying to rake me for $3800
lane departure sensor failed/ replaced

Heptic feedback motor in seat currently failed, waiting for GM to get part in stock

ball joint in very poor shape (due to strut)

rusting frame.

Screen goes black occasionally

About the only common issue I dont have is the vibrations :)

I have a 2015   30,000  and frustrated with smell of antifreeze ….at front of truck ...

Chevy says its Normal .. yes have read the forums on here about it ...

double checked  the spec sheet and  no I did not see normal antifreeze leak on the spec's :fume:

I've noticed a coolant smell on many newer vehicles lately.  Yet none of them seem to be dropping coolant anywhere and none have needed coolant added.  not sure what the deal is. 

8 hours ago, Colossus said:

I've noticed a coolant smell on many newer vehicles lately.  Yet none of them seem to be dropping coolant anywhere and none have needed coolant added.  not sure what the deal is. 

they say they know its a seam in the radiator caused by stress from the thermostat cycling to much ??  but yet is not a recall or  ok to fix … 

13 hours ago, Roadking01 said:

I have a 2015   30,000  and frustrated with smell of antifreeze ….at front of truck ...

Chevy says its Normal .. yes have read the forums on here about it ...

double checked  the spec sheet and  no I did not see normal antifreeze leak on the spec's :fume:

They replaced my Rad, thermostat and stat housing all under power train warranty since the stat is the cause of the crack in rad. They took care of it that day I brought it in. Ask another dealer they should replace it for free. I too had the smell of antifreeze that drove me nuts for a truck with only 40000 miles on it at the time. I now have 65000 with no other problems.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/22/2018 at 10:02 PM, Colossus said:

It's probably the seams on the radiator slowly weeping away. Unfortunately it's pretty common on a lot of brands right now....where the plastic side tanks meet the aluminum fins. 

On 4/22/2018 at 5:46 PM, jgraves13 said:

I've got almost 1000 miles on my 2018 now and I love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm at 5,000 miles now, I'm driving this thing like crazy. Can't seem to keep it under 600 mikes a week. Averaging 25 mpg since I bought it! Amazing. Not one single issue. Changed the oil at 1,300 miles, put on running boards, mud flaps, a bed liner and cover. Loving the thing

I think what is happening - reputation wise - is there are just SO MANY of these things on the road...there will be some with issues. It's a volume thing. They sold almost 600,000 of these trucks last year (not including the Sierra). So since 2014 there's almost 2.4 million of these things on the road in America alone! That's insane. Throw in another 1 million Sierra's. That's a lot of potential issues. That's a lot of different types of owners/drivers. I mean on my daily commute I'll see 50 of these trucks pass me by...some towing trailers going 80 on the highway...lots with the beds loaded up just blasting down the road. That's a lot of different levels of abuse, lots of different types of use. 

I think aside from the Tundra, which I hear is an extremely well built truck, the Silverado is holding up very well. The F-150's have had lots of problems. Dodge has improved. And who cares about Nissan?

• Like 1

2015 Silverado regular cab. Rear end vibration issues were common in these along with the dreaded chugging issues.   After  the third  Mexico made rear end was replaced I Lemon lawed it at 11 months. The local dealers shop was full of 15's every week

A friend has a 2015 Silverado LT2. Absolutely zero issues in 60k miles. Even all original brakes.

I have 6k on my '17. Zero issues thus ar.

My 2013 had 30k when I traded it. Again, zero trips back to the dealer.

2014 GMC Sierra with 47K miles:

- electric steering causing pull when new.   $1500 new steering unit under warranty

- bad vibes when new.  $800 new set of tires by dealer under warranty

- A/C condenser failed at 37K.  $1250 repair out of warranty.  GM cost share 50% so I got $550 back

- new battery at 37K.  $250 paid by me

- headlight went out at 40K.  $50 paid by me (I changed both)

- many, many recalls mostly for firmware upgrades

- tranny clunks when it shifts at lower speeds

I love the truck and just accept it's not going to be flawless.   I got it new for about $10K under an ugly ass Tundra and I won't have another Ford.  Dodge isn't even a consideration for me.     GMC is still the best looking truck on the road right now (to me)....I could be persuaded to buy the next generation Tundra if it ever comes out.

23 hours ago, bcbz71 said:

2014 GMC Sierra with 47K miles:

- electric steering causing pull when new.   $1500 new steering unit under warranty

- bad vibes when new.  $800 new set of tires by dealer under warranty

- A/C condenser failed at 37K.  $1250 repair out of warranty.  GM cost share 50% so I got $550 back

- new battery at 37K.  $250 paid by me

- headlight went out at 40K.  $50 paid by me (I changed both)

- many, many recalls mostly for firmware upgrades

- tranny clunks when it shifts at lower speeds

I love the truck and just accept it's not going to be flawless.   I got it new for about $10K under an ugly ass Tundra and I won't have another Ford.  Dodge isn't even a consideration for me.     GMC is still the best looking truck on the road right now (to me)....I could be persuaded to buy the next generation Tundra if it ever comes out.

I traded in my problem child, junk 2014 Silverado 2.5 years ago for a new 2016 Tundra.  Tundra has 30k miles on it now and has been flawless.  No trips to the dealer, trans shifts beautifully, 5.7 is a beast.  I agree, they are behind the curve on looks, but I’ll take that any day over sitting in the Chevy service dept again, and again, and again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

My 15’ went back to the dealer as a lease trade in with 18k on it. It had a recall for the airbags. I didn’t think it shifted reliably but believe it was due to the 4.3 and 4.42 gears. It never seems geared or the trans tuned properly to me. Now that is also GM’s gas miser so tuned for economy.   I traded it off for a crew cab max trailering truck and have been smiling ear to ear ever since both were nice trucks. But the NHT crew with standard bed is much more suited to my needs and should be a 15 yr truck. At least. 

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

For the guy thinking about buying GM - I bought a brand new Silverado in 2014 - decked out Tuscany with 6” lift for thousands less I’ve been paying for F250’s. Since then I’ve butted heads with dealerships doing sloppy maintenance, complained about premature rust on frame and brakes going out - they blew my concerns off and now I find 15 recalls they never addressed - discovered the recalls looking for why my truck wouldn’t start.  Save the drama and spend the extra $ for Ford - pricy but they have less issues and better quality.  

• 3 weeks later...

2014 SLE CC 75K miles. Engine and Trans been great. AC condenser replaced with extended warranty, Infotainment glitchy at times and brake level res switch caused two alarms service stabiltrac and Service brake assist that took dealer years to figure out. Mine has been mostly good but I am weary of it esp the trans. 21 recalls done on it

22R

• Like 1