Burning smell in cab followed by exploding rear window

• 2 weeks later...

Same thing happened to my 15' 2500 Silverado, remote started in the morning and came out to the truck, put the key in and the rear window started smoking.... window popped and burst about 30 seconds later.

GMC told me to pound sand since I was out of my full warranty, cost around $1,400 CAD to replace at a glass shop GM quoted around $1,800. They said it was due to moisture getting into the defroster lines or sliding mechanism.

• 3 months later...

Ok guys,  same thing happened to me.  2015 3500HD duramax. Remote started the truck. Took off down the road, almost immediately smelled something very hot.  Before I could figure out what was going on I heard a pop and the back window shattered (passenger side). There was also white/gray smoke exiting from the bottom weather stripping on the center sliding window.  I contacted gm customer care and that had it inspected. Of course the are saying there is no fault in the window or electrical but they also won't guarantee it won't happen again with a new window.  Please make sure to shine light on this known issue by filing a complaint with the "nhtsa" it only takes a few minutes.  We have to get these manufacturers to stand behind their products! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ben12 said:

Ok guys,  same thing happened to me.  2015 3500HD duramax. Remote started the truck. Took off down the road, almost immediately smelled something very hot.  Before I could figure out what was going on I heard a pop and the back window shattered (passenger side). There was also white/gray smoke exiting from the bottom weather stripping on the center sliding window.  I contacted gm customer care and that had it inspected. Of course the are saying there is no fault in the window or electrical but they also won't guarantee it won't happen again with a new window.  Please make sure to shine light on this known issue by filing a complaint with the "nhtsa" it only takes a few minutes.  We have to get these manufacturers to stand behind their products! 

if you need a replacement window let me know. I have a brand new and in box rear OEM rear window that I was going to use to change out from a non sliding rear window to a sliding rear window. Never got around to doing it so I have it just sitting around.

19 minutes ago, jerseytaylor said:

if you need a replacement window let me know. I have a brand new and in box rear OEM rear window that I was going to use to change out from a non sliding rear window to a sliding rear window. Never got around to doing it so I have it just sitting around.

I might be.  Price and where are you located?  I'm about an hour into WI from Minneapolis. 

15 hours ago, Ben12 said:

I might be.  Price and where are you located?  I'm about an hour into WI from Minneapolis. 

I can do $300 shipped. Im seeing the OEM non-sliders going for 388 shipped online. I can send more pics when you want. I havent even opened up the outer packaging yet.