In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  
cjmiller

Loss of brakes after putting truck in reverse

Had this happen last night while backing into my driveway which has a down hill slope. The pedal sort of felt like it does when ABS kicks in. Pulling forward brakes worked fine. Guess I'll have to check out the booster and pump. 

I experienced the same issue with my 2016 Sierra. When I put the truck in reverse the pedal sometimes used to give the same sound (dieing cow noise) and vibrating feeling as the ABS activation, and barely worked, but seems fine at driving speeds above a crawl.

7 hours ago, Kevin Carson said:

I experienced the same issue with my 2016 Sierra. When I put the truck in reverse the pedal sometimes used to give the same sound (dieing cow noise) and vibrating feeling as the ABS activation, and barely worked, but seems fine at driving speeds above a crawl.

Report it. https://www.nhtsa.gov

Have you had any issues since you've had the repair? Just stating have this issue and really concern.

I traded it in for a 2018 6.2 couple months ago. 

I have a 2016 Silverado Crew Cab with a 6.5’ bed, 3rdone I have purchased from this dealership. In December of 2018 , with 57094 miles on it, the truck had a power brake failure while being parked.  Took the truck to the local dealer who said it was not under warranty.  Passed on having the worked done there and brought it to my local repair shop where they diagnosed it as a problem with the power brake booster pump. The bill came to $384.33, which I paid with a credit card.

On May 7th, 2019, I received notification from GM that there was a problem with the brake booster pump on the 2016 Silverado. The letter instructed those who had a repair made already to submit the following information in order to receive partial/total reimbursement:

-      Name and address of the person who paid for the 

repair. 

-      The VIN number of the vehicle that was repaired.

-      Description of the problem, the repair performed and who performed the repair.

-      The total cost of the repair expense that is being requested.

-      Proof of payment for the repair in question and date of payment.

I was able to gather all this information and present it to the dealer from whom I had purchase the truck. I was informed that the signed credit card receipt that was attached to the bill was NOT sufficient as proof of payment (works when I go to a restaurant). The dealer stated that GM requires a copy of my credit card bill for that time period. This means they would also have my credit card number, a list of every purchase I made in that time period. What payments I had made and any outstanding debt. I declined to give the dealer this information.

Called GM customer service and worked up to the supervisor level and got the same response. The wanted my credit card statement.  I told the supervisor that I thought the request was very intrusive and again, declined to provide it.  

I told the GM representative that I would just accept that I paid  $384.33 bill.   

Next truck will probably be a RAM.

18 minutes ago, Portman said:

I have a 2016 Silverado Crew Cab with a 6.5’ bed, 3rdone I have purchased from this dealership. In December of 2018 , with 57094 miles on it, the truck had a power brake failure while being parked.  Took the truck to the local dealer who said it was not under warranty.  Passed on having the worked done there and brought it to my local repair shop where they diagnosed it as a problem with the power brake booster pump. The bill came to $384.33, which I paid with a credit card.

On May 7th, 2019, I received notification from GM that there was a problem with the brake booster pump on the 2016 Silverado. The letter instructed those who had a repair made already to submit the following information in order to receive partial/total reimbursement:

-      Name and address of the person who paid for the 

repair. 

-      The VIN number of the vehicle that was repaired.

-      Description of the problem, the repair performed and who performed the repair.

-      The total cost of the repair expense that is being requested.

-      Proof of payment for the repair in question and date of payment.

I was able to gather all this information and present it to the dealer from whom I had purchase the truck. I was informed that the signed credit card receipt that was attached to the bill was NOT sufficient as proof of payment (works when I go to a restaurant). The dealer stated that GM requires a copy of my credit card bill for that time period. This means they would also have my credit card number, a list of every purchase I made in that time period. What payments I had made and any outstanding debt. I declined to give the dealer this information.

Called GM customer service and worked up to the supervisor level and got the same response. The wanted my credit card statement.  I told the supervisor that I thought the request was very intrusive and again, declined to provide it.  

I told the GM representative that I would just accept that I paid  $384.33 bill.   

Next truck will probably be a RAM.

Why not just redact any info you do not want seen and they don't need from the pdf statement that you can download from your credit card website? Yeah a pain but certainly worth getting your 400 bucks back, just my opinion here.

I just visited my local GMC dealer about no power brakes in reverse.  They ordered a new vacuum pump,

This issue just happened to me today in my 14 Silverado LTZ 66k miles, also felt stiff pedal when backing in a spot this morning, had the recall fixed few weeks ago and this is the second time I’ve experienced this issue since the update 

2015 Silverado 1500 LT z71 with the same problem. Just brought the vehicle in for recalls - they reprogrammed the brakes and I think it’s worse now. Do I fight with them or trade it in for a Toyota elsewhere and make it the corporations problem? Also have a vibration at 120kmph that no one can diagnose and my 3rd brake light leaks when in the car wash ?

I have a 2017 GMC Sierra SLT 1500.  It has just over 38,000 miles.

Just recently when backing my boat down into the lake, my brake pedal began to have to be pushed almost to the floor to stop the pickup from rolling into the lake.  A little scary to say the least.  It has done it 3 times.  Also I've already had GM's reflash of the brake controller done.  I bought the extended warranty so hopefully it will be covered under that.  Just know I don't want to roll backwards into the water!

I have this weird crap happening now..  wanted a new booster etc with that last recall and they said my issue is not covered. These brakes don’t make you feel good. 
what is the fix besides getting no help from  GM?

I have a 15 LTZ with 109,000 miles. Twice in the last 2 months I have had a strange loss of brakes while in reverse. The system was flashed 6 months ago. Looks like I might need a booster.

I’ve noticed this issue a while back but now it’s a bit noticeable. Mine is only in reverse, I seen the TSB which states to replace 1. Vacuum Pump
2. Vacuum Line between the booster and the pump 3. Brake Booster 4. Master Cylinder 5. Vacuum Pump Belt especially if you find oil in the system. Also another to program the brake control module with new software. But is any of this covered under any special warranty? My truck 46k miles and out of bumper to bumper warranty. 

Mine just did this the first time last night while parallel parking and backing into a parking spot. The brake pedal suddenly got hard to press and I was very cautious while continuing to park. After coming back a couple hours later, brake pedal did seem to be working better again and it might be my imagination but didnt seem quite back to normal. Looks like I will be making another appointment with the dealer to see about getting vacuum pump replaced. I have a 2016 1500 CCSB LT. I do remember the dealer doing a software upgrade for the brakes but now I think it needs further attention...