2019 GMC Sierra - Focus On Tailgate and Cargo Box

Gorehamj

2018-03-01 15.49.33.jpg

John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com

Photos/Editing: Zane Merva, Executive Editor
3-1-2018

When the new 2019 GMC Sierra was revealed two surprises were added to the list we expected to see. The first was the MultiPro Tailgate system. The second was the CarbonPro non-metallic cargo box construction. Let's look more closely at these two exciting features found only on the 2019 GMC Sierra.

MultiPro

The MultiPro tailgate is a system that allows a person to do more than a typical tailgate allows. The tailgate can perform the following:

- Fob or button opening

- Load stop allows for long items to be secured with a flip up section that rises from the top portion of the tailgate when it is in the down position.

- Allows for a drop down section to allow a person to walk closer to the bed when the tailgate is down. This will help when removing bulky items.

- The inner gate converts to a step when down. (375 lb capacity)

- An Inner tier can drop down to allow for a second loading floor.

- A work surface can be created at the top of the tailgate.

2019-GMC-Sierra-carbon bed graphic.jpg

Here are some shots from our very own Zane Merva of the MultiPro Tailgate

2018-03-01 15.48.57.jpg

2018-03-01 15.48.46.jpg

2018-03-01 15.49.49.jpg

2018-03-01 15.49.33.jpg

Carbon Pro Cargo Box

The new, optional, CarbonPro cargo box incorporates carbon fiber construction in the floor of the bed and the walls to drop 62 pounds of weight from the truck. The carbon fiber material is more dent and scratch resistant than the rolled high strength steel bed that comes standard on the new Sierra and will not have any risk of corrosion.  

As Duncan Aldred, vice president of Global GMC, put it, “In 116 years of making GMC pickup trucks, our industry-first carbon fiber box is the toughest and most durable pickup box we have ever made.”

Here's some photos that our own Zane Merva captured at the reveal event. 

2018-03-01 16.16.38.jpg

2018-03-01 16.16.51.jpg

2018-03-01 16.16.56.jpg

2018-03-01 16.16.30.jpg

2018-03-01 16.16.27.jpg

2018-03-01 16.21.49.jpg

2018-03-01 16.23.22.jpg

2018-03-01 16.23.07.jpg

The tailgate has some functionality to it but if you are one like me and leave your hitch in your receiver, then that will not work or BAM! nice dent in your tailgate.  Maybe it comes with a sensor so it will not lower if there is a hitch in the receiver? 

I wonder how much all this new technology is going to raise the price of the vehicle?  Carbon fiber isn't cheap, if it was, more would be use in everyday vehicles. There is a reason it has only been in high priced sports cars.

The Silverado dropped 450lbs and the GMC dropped 360lbs. I wonder where the difference is between the two?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Black02Silverado said:

The Silverado dropped 450lbs and the GMC dropped 360lbs. I wonder where the difference is between the two?

Tailgate, hood, fenders, bed are the main differences. I’m sure that counts for most of the weight difference. I thought they’d be closer in weight. More standard options on GMC vs Silverado?

Since the dash is carryover maybe the premium pebble leather and wood grain accents are really thick ;-)

On 3/1/2018 at 9:15 PM, 2009GMC said:

*CarbonPRO cargo box only available on 5’8” short box. Not available on 6’6” standard box.*

GMC sells a huge percentage of these things as crew cabs, which come with the shorter box. My guess is they are starting with the highest selling size first and will expand out to other sizes later. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, nowicksl said:

In that third image, what is that pole sticking out of the bed?

Integrated step pole to help you get into the bed. Standard with the MultiPro. Wish I would have gotten a better photo of it. 

2018-03-01 15.48.45.jpg

• Like 1

On 3/3/2018 at 8:34 AM, Zane said:

GMC sells a huge percentage of these things as crew cabs, which come with the shorter box. My guess is they are starting with the highest selling size first and will expand out to other sizes later. 

On the current generation, the crew is also available with the standard box.

I wonder when we start to see the horrible commercials for the 2019s? 

"Herp De derp, today we  gonna see what happened when you drop a turbo v6 into a carbon fiber bed versus an aluminum bed using a forklift on two wheels, then see the reaction from real kindergarteners. Don't mind all the "It's lasted the first 90 days" awards taking up the background"

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

If you go to the GMC site for the new Sierra-  http://www.gmc.com/trucks/2019-sierra-1500-pickup-truck - on the 360 view area, you can drop the tailgate and see it lines up with the hitch receiver.  I sure looks like it would smack right into the hitch if you left it in. Sure hope there is a safety lockout of some type. Otherwise there are going to be a lot of dented fancy tailgates.

Also if you look at the "Trims" area, the Denali looks like it has some huge off road tires. Probably meant for a yet to be announced off-road specific model like the All Terrain.

1 hour ago, 2Speed said:

If you go to the GMC site for the new Sierra-  http://www.gmc.com/trucks/2019-sierra-1500-pickup-truck - on the 360 view area, you can drop the tailgate and see it lines up with the hitch receiver.  I sure looks like it would smack right into the hitch if you left it in. Sure hope there is a safety lockout of some type. Otherwise there are going to be a lot of dented fancy tailgates.

By trying to open the small drop down thing, one would almost hit the shin bone on the hitch.

I think that people like that don't deserve better...

so long

j-ten-ner

Edited by j-ten-ner