Towing Tires and a Hitch

So I picked up a Chevy Silverado 3500HD Dually yesterday I was sad to see my old Tundra go but I needed a bigger truck to pull my camper.  My camper is a 36 footer and dry is 13,600 with 1360 on the tongue.  I know the 3500 can easily pull it so I am not worried about that part.  The 3500 needs new tires and a ball hitch.  So what do you recommend for tires?  I went to the local Chevy dealer and they wanted $2400 to replace all 6 tires.  When I look online I find tires from 150 to 600 and I am not sure what to go with.  Also I need a heavy duty hitch for the camper but I also need to haul some smaller trailers that don't have a two inch ball on them.  What do you guys recommend for pulling the camper and is there a good three way ball I can pick up for the smaller trailers?

Mainly this truck will be used in the summer for puling my 6 x 10 landscape trailer, pulling my 20 foot enclosed legend trailer with an RZR inside, and pulling my camper twice a year.  It will see some snow and such but mainly it will just be towing in the summer.  I only average about 5k a year on my trucks.

IMG_1212.jpg

etrailer.com you will find some great hitches for a great price. Living in the Midwest always ran bfg’s at’s if your not doing a lot of winter driving may want a highway tire for a little nicer and quieter ride, tirerack.com helps keep my local tire guys honest...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For towing, the best tires I've had were BFGoodrich All Terrain tires because they are E-rated.   Fantastic traction as well, especially in snow if you ever get caught in that.

Since you average about 5k miles a year, those tires would last you 8+ years easily.

Im using a B&W hitch for pulling smaller stuff I got the 2 5/16 and 2 inch set up, but they have a 3 ball set up that has the 1 7/8 added. Its nice cause i can flip in back under and back up close to our garage door. They come with different drop lengths think etrailer carries them. There not cheap but I can vouch for them have it one for years and they also have the larger shank size for 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. 

I've been running slightly wider than stock (The OEM size Defenders weren't out yet when I bought my tires I guess) Michelin Defenders on my '09 dually.  31k on them and they still look good, even have some of the mold stickie thingies on them.  Paid $1410 March 31st 2016.  Changed the receiver on it and bought new shaft and head to go with the bigger receiver.

Currently I've got https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Reese/RP54977.html and https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Reese/RP58167.html poking out of the receiver.  I've got a quick change ball for the light stuff and a 20k ball for my boat.  Since I can't use weight distribution I'm thinking about getting a weigh safe drop hitch ball mount, just wish the 2.5" ones were rated for higher than 14.5K for a little extra "breathing" room.

Talk with a local tire salesman and ask what they are seeing is working well.

Over 5 years ago the Toyo Open Country H/T was one of the best tires for work trucks and duallies where you might actually see 60k on tires used for heavy towing.

https://www.toyotires.com/tire/pattern/open-country-ht-highway-all-season-tires

BTW all duallies are not great in the snow, no matter the tire; too much floatation. Out here in Colorado we refer to them as roller skates in the snow.

I'm sure there are better tires out there now, just not current on the info.

As far as a hitch I highly recommend a Weight Distribution hitch for a bumper pull in that weight range.

I could care less what brand. Functionally they all do the same job. You will have a lot more control of that trailer with a WD hitch with sway control that just dropping it on a ball and calling it good.

If I had to recommend a brand I would say look at the Fastway E2 round bar set up for an entry setup.

http://www.fastwaytrailer.com/e2-hitch

Archived