Cold Air Inductions (First Impression)

33 minutes ago, Orlando8 said:

Yeah its for the 5.3, would need a different throttle body connection. And here's the kicker. That intake, and GM Performance intake for the Camaro are made by cold air inductions. Not as obvious with the Silverado intake. But for the Camaro the gm and cai are exactly same. Minus the dry filter they make for gm...........

Unless the factory air box is modified, the MIT is not going to give you much of an increase in power. There is a small opening which leads into the inner fender, and that reduces air flow significantly.

I have the Volant, and had ZERO issues with the fit, finish, or noise. The seat of the pants feel before and after the tune were quite noticeable.

Keep in mind MagnaCharger, Whipple, and the Edelbrock eForce superchargers for the 5.3 and 6.2 use the stock air box with just a drop in panel filter which demands a lot more air than a NA motor. I don't see them using the stock air box if it would reduce air flow to their superchargers and effect the performance.

Edited by Gorske
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Gorske said:

Keep in mind MagnaCharger, Whipple, and the Edelbrock eForce superchargers for the 5.3 and 6.2 use the stock air box with just a drop in panel filter which demands a lot more air than a NA motor. I don't see them using the stock air box if it would reduce air flow to their superchargers and effect the performance.

mit.jpg.e24d45f8f51dc611dbea8af6c4c1af6f.jpg

11 minutes ago, 2017SierraSLT said:

Here are the results of the test I did. Showed some power gains but actually slowed the truck down at the track. Don't get me wrong they look nice but from a performance standpoint a waste of money. If I didn't find an Airaid MIT for dirt cheap I would still have the stock intake on my truck. I would much rather put that money toward a tune, headers, or other mods that improve performance.

10 minutes ago, 2017SierraSLT said:

Intake air temps are critical. Some intakes are terrible in this regard.

Yes sir! Even with a closed box CAI the small gains you might get with them do not justify the cost they sell them for.  350 dollars or more for a CAI to maybe reduce your 1/4 mile time by a tenth or possibly be a tenth slower. 275 dollars for a custom tune and reduce your 1/4 mile time by over a second in my case. Which is the better money spent? It comes down to it being your money but if someone asks my opinion save your money and just get a panel filter.

Edited by Gorske

Imo an intake on a stock setup isn't worth it. You do exhaust, headers, tune. Then yes it is worth it, you will see bigger gains with an intake then without. But more so if the intake requires tuning. If the intake tube is bigger than stock (including MAF location), it will require tuning because the sensor is only programmed for stock dimensions, and it will flow more air. With headers you've sped up the exhaust velocity significantly. Because of scavenging and the vacuum it creates, the exhaust charge is essentially being sucked out of the cylinder. Which is why you usually see 30 rwhp with headers/tune on an other wise stock truck. You do a cat back, and you've just eliminated more restriction. You make more power, because more of the exhaust charge is leaving the cylinder; allowing more air in. Which equals more fuel, and faster. Your leaving power on the table if you keep the stock intake/filter.

Yes companies that make supercharger packages for these trucks keep the stock air box, different filter, and different tube. Because they don't need to do a full intake. It works. Why put in the time to design an intake when stock works fine and you make 650 hp. High horsepower boosted vehicles can see huge gains from the right intake. The more power you make, the easier it is to make power. Porting the throttle body and heads will probably net 30 whp on a boosted vette.

41 minutes ago, M1ck3y said:

Imo an intake on a stock setup isn't worth it. You do exhaust, headers, tune. Then yes it is worth it, you will see bigger gains with an intake then without. But more so if the intake requires tuning. If the intake tube is bigger than stock (including MAF location), it will require tuning because the sensor is only programmed for stock dimensions, and it will flow more air. With headers you've sped up the exhaust velocity significantly. Because of scavenging and the vacuum it creates, the exhaust charge is essentially being sucked out of the cylinder. Which is why you usually see 30 rwhp with headers/tune on an other wise stock truck. You do a cat back, and you've just eliminated more restriction. You make more power, because more of the exhaust charge is leaving the cylinder; allowing more air in. Which equals more fuel, and faster. Your leaving power on the table if you keep the stock intake/filter.

Yes companies that make supercharger packages for these trucks keep the stock air box, different filter, and different tube. Because they don't need to do a full intake. It works. Why put in the time to design an intake when stock works fine and you make 650 hp. High horsepower boosted vehicles can see huge gains from the right intake. The more power you make, the easier it is to make power. Porting the throttle body and heads will probably net 30 whp on a boosted vette.

Once the Torqstorm kit comes back out for our trucks I will be getting that and making my own intake setup for the kit. Get some data and times how the kits comes and then data and times with the custom intake. Then finally get headers for my truck as well. Hoping for high 12s with just the supercharger and mid 12s with the supercharger and headers without meth or an intercooler. Moving on to forced induction and not looking back! :) Back to the main topic if I was to get a CAI again I would have gone with the intake you got prior to your post. Kind of disappointing to see what your dealing with after the high hopes I had with their kits being they always seemed to have great reviews.

FB_IMG_1518808689633(1).jpg

Edited by Gorske

Nice man. Supercharger is out of reach for me. Local speed shop does them, charges 11,000 cdn for tvs1900, 19,000 for tvs2300 (with headers) installed. And they charge 1500.00 on top of that to tune 17+ transmissions. They have other options like whipple etc. but its all relatively in the same price range. I should have been a mechanic...

23 minutes ago, M1ck3y said:

Nice man. Supercharger is out of reach for me. Local speed shop does them, charges 11,000 cdn for tvs1900, 19,000 for tvs2300 (with headers) installed. And they charge 1500.00 on top of that to tune 17+ transmissions. They have other options like whipple etc. but its all relatively in the same price range. I should have been a mechanic...

The Torqstorm kit is 2,900 us and all other kits for the 5.3 are 5,600-6,300 us without the cost of being installed. Torqstorm kits however are sold as tuner off-road kits so they don't have to deal with emissions. I do look forward to seeing how the kit is first hand.

Edited by Gorske

20 hours ago, M1ck3y said:

Yeah its for the 5.3, would need a different throttle body connection. And here's the kicker. That intake, and GM Performance intake for the Camaro are made by cold air inductions. Not as obvious with the Silverado intake. But for the Camaro the gm and cai are exactly same. Minus the dry filter they make for gm...........

Tube/material , box and filter is different, on the camero I know the tube and filter is different, haven't seen the box

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 9:11 AM, 2017SierraSLT said:

2 horsepower and 1 lb/ft torque past 5700 rpm? No measureable change below 5600 rpm? ANYWHERE. 

Pretty much the definition of wasted time and money. I love the air density was 0.1 delta between test. Ends the discussion. :seeya: