2500Hd Rumors

I know we have to wait 'till 2020 for the release of the new 2500hd, but was curious as to if there's been any new rumors as to if GM is going to be replacing the 6.0 liter V8 in their future heavy duty line up? Very soon I'm looking to upgrade my '01 2500hd with the 6.0 liter, but I'm wondering if it's better to wait on a new gas powertrain or get some deep discounts on 2018 series models. Don't get me wrong the 6 liter has been a very dependable unit, but I've always felt it's lagged in the torque section, especially when pulling loads through the rocky mountains. I'd be willing to a chance of the first model, as I did when I bought my '01 and not interested in Diesels after the government made them so eco-friendly. Thanks for any input or thoughts!!!

24 minutes ago, grizzlyltz said:

Lol your comparing a L5P to a baby L96

Grizzly

Yupp.

If plumbob98 needs/wants more torque, the solution is out there!

Yes, it costs more, but it also trades in for more when it's sold.

Believe me I understand about the 6 liter being reliable, I have one. That's not my point, I'm asking if anyone has heard rumors of a new mill as to make a decision on whether or not to wait for the new unit. As I've stated I believe GM makes extensive testing on new mills and that's why I didn't mind being the first in line to buy one in '01, but at the same token I don't believe GM is going to sit back idly and watch the competition surpass them with bigger H.P. and T.Q. numbers. And I'm glad to hear others are happy with traveling in the mountains with their 6 liter, I'm not. Eisenhower pass in Colorado is a bear with the 6 liter and pulling a load. I keep my trucks for a long time and with Ford coming out with the 7-liter and already have an  all aluminum body(I live in the rust belt), it's looking real good. I've also stated the diesel is out, as I'm not interested in them. 

Edited by plumbob98
Adding no diesel's

Believe me I understand about the 6 liter being reliable, I have one. That's not my point, I'm asking if anyone has heard rumors of a new mill as to make a decision on whether or not to wait for the new unit. As I've stated I believe GM makes extensive testing on new mills and that's why I didn't mind being the first in line to buy one in '01, but at the same token I don't believe GM is going to sit back idly and watch the competition surpass them with bigger H.P. and T.Q. numbers. And I'm glad to hear others are happy with traveling in the mountains with their 6 liter, I'm not. Eisenhower pass in Colorado is a bear with the 6 liter and pulling a load. I keep my trucks for a long time and with Ford coming out with the 7-liter and already have an  all aluminum body(I live in the rust belt), it's looking real good. I've also stated the diesel is out, as I'm not interested in them. 

I understand what ur laying down but you can’t really compare your 01 to the new 6.0 with the 6 speed tranny vs your 4
All I’m saying is that I’m totally happy with mine and 90% of owners are
If you want aluminum and a 7 go buy a Ford

Grizzly

Ok, I've been a GM fan for years. Didn't mean to bring up the Ford name in a GM forum, my bad, but all I'm saying is GM is getting surpassed by numbers and I highly doubt GM is going to sit back and let this keep happening(even an F-150 ecoboost has higher numbers). All I'm saying is just for one moment and take off the GM glasses and see there's other options out there and I'm sure GM is seeing that also. It's a simple question, "IS THERE ANY RUMORS OF A NEW GAS POWERPLANT ON THE HORIZION"??? I already know you're happy with your trucks, so that's a given, but if I'm going to dole out to close to $50-60,000 dollars on a truck, I want to make sure I'm getting the best "GM" option out there!!!! That's all. I'd be pretty upset getting a new truck and the next year they come out with a sweet Torque monster of a gas motor and I'm driving something that's been out for 17 years(H.P. and T.Q. numbers haven't increased that much in these years), less the newer 6 speed tranny. Thanks!!!

• Like 1

There has been much discussion on the forum for the past few years about the 6.0L No plausible rumors have surfaced - lots of suggestions for GM engineers - Turbos, more displacement, better tune, etc. I would think that if there were a major revision in the power plant there would be prototypes being put together now and just like with the L5P Dmax there was speculation based on parts orders from various shops known for doing GM prototypes. There has been nothing on the 6.0L.

My 07 HD with the 6.0L was a great improvement over the 5.7L it replaced - made a huge difference in towing my 6000lb Travel Trailer. Now that I have upgraded the TT again (8000lbs) I also upgraded to the DMax - and have not looked back. While the 6.0L could have done the job, I feel that the DMax does it way better.

• Like 1

First off, regarding the Ford 7X engine:  Basically the story is that it is a tall deck long stroke 7.3L derivative of the current Ford 6.2L.  7X is supposed to replace the V-10 in the F-450 and larger trucks, so it may not be available in any Ford pickup.

Now, about a replacement for the GM L96:  The answer to that question may be found in the Silverado 4500/5500.  The new Chevy medium duty trucks will go on sale later this year, but initially only with the Duramax/Allison powertrain.  However, with the resurgence in gasoline engines for medium duty trucks, I think it's very likely that the 4500/5500 will eventually have a gasoline engine.  In fact, some of the 4500/5500 prototypes that have been photographed have NOT been diesels.  It is a fact that Freightliner and Isuzu both use the L96 6.0L engine in some trucks up to 19,000#'s GVW, but the story that I hear is the L96 will not be used in the new GM/Navistar medium truck. 

The new Silverado/Sierra HD pickups are supposed to debut in 2020, which is about the time I expect to see a gas engine in the 4500/5500.       

• Like 1

6.0 is last in hp and last in tq. And last in towing in its class. Look it up pick up trucks did an extensive test and 6.0 was well a dinosaur. Yes I know it’s a rock and reliable but after 18 years it’s time for something new.  I know some grizzly and some others will disagree but it’s ancient 

• Like 1

I've been thinking about this some, since I will be in the market myself about that time...it really has no benefit for GM to offer a different gas option.

If they offer a big gasser, they will lose Duramax sales...and those command a pretty penny...

I would like to see a larger displacement option, but I doubt we will see it. If anything, we would probably see an upgrade to meet current emissions requirements...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I think that GM will offer a gas option for the 4500/5500, and I think it is likely the L96 will be replaced in the 2500/3500 at some point, my guess is with the same engine in the new medium duty trucks.  A lot of large fleets are going back to gasoline, the economics of diesels no longer work out for them.  Sure diesels have a power advantage, but they no longer have a fuel economy advantage, they are less reliable than gasoline now and the are VERY expensive to fix.  Also, gasoline engines are easy to convert to CNG/LNG. 

• Like 1