21 hours ago, roadrage201 said:

I hand a local shop run a compression test on the engine and all were more or less even. I'm almost certain this isn't a ring issue,

The top rings could be ok giving reasonable compression. The oil rings at the bottom of the piston are what wipes the oil off the cylinder walls and they are most likely the problem. Not enough tension in those rings to press against the cylinder walls. Unfortunately that also means a tear down.

On 3/4/2018 at 12:32 AM, roadrage201 said:

My 2012 Silver is one of the unfortunates to be cursed with AFM. It has 136k on it. It has gone through a quart of oil about every two weeks since I got it at 75k miles, plugs on 1, 4, 6 and 7 have to be changed about every 6 months (photos of #7 that got changed a few days ago because as usual, CLEARLY it was fouled and misfiring) and it DRINKS fuel. My average MPG's hovers around 10-11mpg..not to mention the horrible jolt it makes after cycling between 4 and 8 cylinders. Is there nothing I can do to, if nothing else, reduce the oil consumption?

If you like the truck, fix it.  Delete the AFM system, pop in a new camshaft to your liking and have the heads rebuilt.  Get a BlackBear tune to turn off AFM and wake up your motor and properly tune the transmission.  Jolting is often caused by a bad motor mount or two.  It's not that hard to do and way less expensive than a new car payment.

• 2 weeks later...

You are well beyond the valve cover fix.... not to mention that only works if it's cylinders 1 and 7... 4 is kind of on the other bank and unrelated to the supposed PCV issue the oem drivers valve cover has.  It's time to do rings on those cylinders.... and may as well delete the afm while you are in there.  I don't even know why people still buy AFM 5.3 trucks anymore lol.

OEM Bulletin, Piston Ring Wear and Oil Consumption

GM Service Bulletin No. 10058791-5041 reads: “Subject: Special Coverage Adjustment — Excessive Engine Oil Consumption … engine may exhibit excessive engine oil consumption due to piston ring wear … This special coverage covers the condition described above for a period of 7 years and 6 months or 120,000 miles (193,000 km), whichever occurs first … Dealers are to replace the 4 piston assemblies. The repairs will be made at no charge to the customer.”

There's a hint if ever one I heard. 

This tsb is showing as being for an equinox/ terrain. Do you have one for a Silverado?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Archived