The Biggest MultiPro Tailgate Questions Answered

Zane

I ordered my 2020 AT4 3500, the option is there to delete it but they give you no credit for it.

So I left it on the order, they charge to add it to a lesser trim truck........

It is nice, but would have opted out if there was money off for it.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

My multi pro tail gage quit working at about 5000 miles.  The warning says that the inner tailgate is not closed, when it is actually closed.  That  prevents the main tailgate from dropping.  The inner tailgater works, but none of the three methods of opening the main tailgate works.  I took it back to the dealer, and he said the left side "piston" was sticking and he freed it up and it started working.  The next day, after a few cycles, it quit again.  The dealer now says that the inner tailgate hinge/piston needs replacing.  But when he tried to order one, none was available, and he is now engaged in a nationwide search to find one. I think that must mean that there are a lot of these things that have required replacement.  I have a Leer cap on the truck, and it really is frustrating to have a load of items on the truck, head over into the mountains, and when you get there,  you cannot get to the items without body contortions to try to crawl through the opening with only the inner tailgate open.  Even worse is the ribbing I take from my Ford buddies about that fancy new tailgate that is not working.  Has anyone else experienced similar problems?

By the way, I thought the tailgate was a gimmick when I bought the truck,  but I have found it to be very useful, and I now love it....when it works.  And, there is apparently no manual override.  The people who designed this tailgate without a manual override were apparently educated well beyond their basic intelligence level.

I have a 2020 2500 HD with this tailgate. I also have used Ford’s which works with a hitch. Might be the most epic Engineering SNAFU ever. Trailer hitch is used for more than towing, it protects your truck from folks running into it and backing into stuff. It’s also very difficult to install/remove the hitch with the sleeve needed for a standard hitch. GM should fire the designers, For this totally useless option. And to boot, everyone want to see it in action, so I get to explain this error about once a week.  GM needs to design a hitch that works with it and send it to their owners free of charge. 

• 1 month later...
On 3/5/2018 at 3:04 PM, Zane said:

2019_MultiProTailgate_2.jpg

Zane Merva
Executive Editor, GM-Trucks.com
3/5/2018

With the debut of GMC's all new and very fancy MultiPro Tailgate last week in Detroit questions have been floated regarding various aspects of the design and how available the tailgate will truly be. So, we reached out to GMC directly and have some answers for you. 

Here we are in no particular order:

Will the MultiPro be available on any trim level other than SLT and Denali?
YES. Although only the SLT and Denali trim levels were mentioned last week, we can confirm the MultiPro tailgate will be available on the SLE trim level as well. 

Can I open the MultiPro with the keyfob?
YES. Just the tailgate as a whole, however. There's no option to open the inner section unless you do it with the button on the gate. 

Will the MultiPro prevent itself from opening into mounted ball hitch?
NO. This is the biggest issue we can see with the MultiPro going forward. The inner gate is fully susceptible to damage from a mounted trailer hitch. GMC does mention that a warning sticker will be present to remind owners not to do just this. Owners will have to remember going forward that if they leave a ball hitch mounted, the MultiPro WILL HIT IT. 

Will GMC offer a manual (cheaper) version of the MultiPro later on?
UNDETERMINED. GMC wouldn't answer our questions about a cheaper, manual version of the MultiPro in the future. We think it would be a great idea and GMC punting the question means the option is in play for the future. 

Will Chevrolet ever get the MultiPro?
LIKELY. Although no-one from Chevy is talking, we expect the Silverado to get the MultiPro (or a Chevy-named version) at some point in the near future, perhaps in model year two (2020)

2019_MultiProTailgate_1.jpg

So it will hit a hitch?   Whats the point if you can't use it with  hitch?  

• 2 weeks later...

Because you can still use it with the hitch out?  Just because it doesn't happen to suit you, because you prefer to leave your hitch in, doesn't mean a lot of other people find it very useful.

I'm sure if A/C was just being introduced, you would be posting about what's the point of that, when you can just open a window.

Edited by davester
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 3/6/2018 at 6:29 PM, amxguy1970 said:

Probably because the people this tailgate is aimed at won't be the type doing any towing or even own a hitch, hence why it comes on the Denali...

Will be funny to see the first few threads about damage, was funny reading the Platinum guys who damaged their tailgates by opening them accidentally and the garage door or something else damaging it as it fell.

Auto locking tailgates should be it, it doesn't need power opening/closing, just another situation where it can be messed up or mess something up. Hit the wrong button like the release when backed in to a spot with another truck or something close behind (or wall or building) and bam...

Tyler

thats the dumbest statement ever to say ppl with this tail gate prob dont tow or have a hitch, its called the hitch in the back and put it on when needed. my tailgate has a kicker stereo system in it and i tow trailers and boats all the time so u my friend and a moron! actually u seem like a straight up clown who looks forward to seeing peoples stuff damaged, lets see your ride tough guy

• 1 year later...