Skip the Skip Fire Engines??

Stex

May have to skip the 2019 skip fire engines (5.3 & 6.2). My 09 5.3 taught me a lot about GMs cylinder deactivation. I got it all, engine burning oil and has clattering lifters. Took them 5 model years to get it somewhat right. They put the AFM out in the 07 and let the buyers test the system. I have seen how the skip fire works and it is more complicated both mechanically  and  software wise. I do not trust GM to not do the same thing with skip fire, Letting the buyer do the full field test.

So, Putting new Michelins LTX on the 09 and will wait and see. Holding off the 2019s for now. If I like the truck, I may look at the diesel engine. Have not see how is building the Diesel. GM?

13 hours ago, Stex said:

May have to skip the 2019 skip fire engines (5.3 & 6.2). My 09 5.3 taught me a lot about GMs cylinder deactivation. I got it all, engine burning oil and has clattering lifters. Took them 5 model years to get it somewhat right. They put the AFM out in the 07 and let the buyers test the system. I have seen how the skip fire works and it is more complicated both mechanically  and  software wise. I do not trust GM to not do the same thing with skip fire, Letting the buyer do the full field test.

So, Putting new Michelins LTX on the 09 and will wait and see. Holding off the 2019s for now. If I like the truck, I may look at the diesel engine. Have not see how is building the Diesel. GM?

Just to clarify. You are putting a set of the longest lasting tires on a 9 year old truck & comparing technology from 2006 to what is rolling out in 2018?

& yes, the new diesel engine will be built by GM in Flint, MI. 

14 hours ago, Stex said:

I have seen how the skip fire works and it is more complicated both mechanically  and  software wise

Where can you try out something with skip fire technology? Would like to try it.

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 11:45 PM, '01LS1 said:

Just to clarify. You are putting a set of the longest lasting tires on a 9 year old truck & comparing technology from 2006 to what is rolling out in 2018?

& yes, the new diesel engine will be built by GM in Flint, MI. 

You seemed to have missed the point about the problems with GM engines and new TECH cylinder deactivation. Yep going to run the 09 a little longer to see what happens with the NEW tech. My engine was new Tech at the time and did not fair so well, along  with many others.   

On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 12:29 AM, DONWT15 said:

Where can you try out something with skip fire technology? Would like to try it.

Not sure you can drive one. There are vids on how it works and the mechanics of the system.

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 11:26 PM, Colossus said:

If you want a solid engine, get a 2500 with the 6.0. 

I hear you. The 6.0 is now the last refuge since the 6.2 went to cylinder deactivation (except for the Camaro stick).  Wish the 6.0 was available in the 1500s.

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 1:10 PM, amxguy1970 said:

Ok, thanks for letting us know what you are doing  :rolleyes:

Tyler

I was trying to get some conversation going about the skip fire system. And maybe some feed back on the system from people that had information on it . That is why the title has skip skip fire with question marks. All I have seen about the new trucks is wheel well, tech, interior etc...:rolleyes:

8 hours ago, Colossus said:

We don't know it as skip fire, but rather DoD (Displacement on Demand) or Cylinder Deactivation. 

Skip fire as described for 2019 is different than the current system system, which of course is different from the 2013 and earlier system.

Ya it worries me as I am about ready for a new truck and do not care to again go thru the same learning curve AFM consumer testing issues we had,  with the all new  skip fire . IF you have not seen how it works it may not worry you. 

A whole new set up mechanically and software wise. A tune out ( if it can be done) may not help the parts of the skip fire that are in constant motion and stress. Took them a long time to correct the AFM issues and just not liking the possibility ( high based on AFM track record) of the same long  learning/debugging curve with skip fire.

Archived