Gorehamj

Steel & Aluminum Tariffs Could Cost GM $1 Billion – Here’s Why GM Is Keeping Quiet

Agree that the tariff is likely a negotiation tactic instead of something that will last long term. 

However, does this mean that GMC could charge LESS for the carbon fiber bed than the steel option? :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My idea of free trade is a level playing ground.. If another nation levies a 10, 20 or 30% tariff on American products; we levy the same on theirs. Isn't that fair?? 

IMO,  free trade is a two way street... Not the one way street that exists currently.

My prior employer was global, but to be competitive in other nations; they opened plants in those nations..  Free trade means every nation is equal or fair is fair.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By johnboy105
      Hey guys, not sure if this has been covered before (searched but didn't find much on my specific question), but has anyone north of the border had any luck selling the aluminum spare from a higher end model?  I just got an 2018 LTZ Z71 and it, by default comes with an aluminum spare (though I can't really understand why.....maybe someone here knows that too??).

I was thinking that if I pulled it off, replaced with a standard steel rim and a used tire (that will pass safety and holds air properly), I could likely make some money on the deal.... the only thing I've noticed is that the aluminum is of a design that isn't anything you see on GM brochures for stock rims and I didn't know how "sellable" this rim might be (specifically in Canada, as I can't justify taking it across the border for the little I would make on it).

Thoughts?

• By Gorehamj

John Goreham
      Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
      3-8-2018
      Earlier this week GM-Trucks.com reported that the bean counters at Goldman Sachs had estimated import tariffs on steel and aluminum could cost GM $1billion in profits. Maybe they were wrong? In an interview this week, GM's CEO Marry Barra was asked specifically about the top-selling General Motors vehicle, the Silverado. The host asked, "Have you done any studies? Would it jump the price of a GM Silverado by $100? Is there a way to gauge?" Ms. Barra's answer was interesting. She said, "It's a small impact. We would look to find offsets and efficiencies in other places to not have to pass that on to the customer." Although that was good news for Silverado buyers, what Barra said earlier in the interview was a bit of a surprise, given the media's coverage of the tariff issue. When asked if she thought there would be tariffs on imported steel and what it would mean for the price of a General Motors car, Barra said, "We source about 90% of our steel and the majority of our aluminum from the United States. So when I look at the specific impact from that perspective I think it something we can more than offset. " 

Barra did go on to say that if there is a change that drives the cost up it will have a direct effect on demand.  For part one of our coverage regarding why GM and other automakers are staying silent on tariffs, please check out our prior story.

• By Gorehamj

John Goreham
      Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
      10-15-2017

Global metals supplier Kobe Steel has admitted to falsifying materials specifications and quality control reports on numerous metals for dozens of industries. The false engineering isn't a short-term error, but rather, a decades-long culture within the company according to reports. Despite the name, Kobe Steel is a key supplier to the automotive industry for metals such aluminum, copper, steel and other critical metallic components in everything from doors and hoods to gears and other drivetrain components,  and even such things as LCD screens. Ford says that materials that are suspect were used in doors and hoods for its Chinese vehicles, but has not yet determined if the materials were not to spec. A spokesman for GM, Nick Richards, told Automotive News, "We are investigating any potential impact and do not have any additional comments at this time."

Both Toyota and Honda use Kobe steel as a key supplier in some markets and have come forward to state that they do use metals from Kobe Steel. However, like GM and Ford, whether substandard metals were used in the production of its products remains unclear. According to Bloomberg, GM accounts for 1.67% of Kobe Steel's global revenue.

• By triple-tap
      Hello all,

Long time reader, but just registered as I can't seem to find the answer to this questions. 

I have a 2014 Silverado Crew Cab (short box) 4x4.  The truck has aluminum upper and lower control arms.  I need to put new new ball joints on the truck, and I am having trouble determining which parts are going to fit / work best for this repair.

I know that the upper control arms come as a complete unit with the new ball joint.  However, I am starting to think that the aluminum lower control arms are going to require a complete replacement as well (as opposed to just pressing out the ball joint and pressing in the new one).  Can someone confirm that this is the case?

No one has the Aluminum upper control arms in stock, and I am wondering if I will run into problems simply replacing the aluminum control arms (upper and lower) with steel control arms?  

The truck has a 3" front leveling kit that was on the truck when I purchased it.  I suspect that ball joints will likely need to be replaced every few years, and I don't really want to have to replace an entire lower control arm every time this happens.  However, I don't know if there is a benefit to keeping the aluminum control arms?  Will this cause any other issues with the truck's suspension, etc.???