CB Radio Antenna Install

I finally jumped the gun on a CB radio setup. I have been waiting for a local shop to install this but with the weather they have been really backed up. It doesnt look like a very hard thing to do but I am wondering if any on has advice with how to install the Antennas and cable from the pickup bed into the cab of the truck. I have not been under the truck yet to see if there are any spots the GM has left to run something in kinda like they do with the grommet in the firewall in the front of the truck. has anyone ran a CB cable into the cab and if so what seems to be the best way to do this?

I have a 2015 Silverado LTZ regular bed and crew cab 

CB Antennas

https://www.rightchannelradios.com/collections/firestik-cb-antennas/products/firestik-fs-dual-cb-antenna-kit

radio

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007B5ZAES/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There are big plugs in the floor you can route the cable through without too much trouble.

Don't expect great performance with those antennas, first they are firesticks and secondly behind the cab (with a lot of the antenna below the cab) is not an ideal location. They will work, just not great and the SWR will probably be high...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Don’t know if the cable will fit but some guys are running wires for other stuff though the door jam (both sides work I think) and then the fender to the eng compartment. There’s a thread on here somewhere with pics I just can’t find it right now. But if it fits then down the firewall and back to the gap between the cab and box.

Good to know. do these plugs go directly down to the ground of the cab? i have side steps so it might be kind of hard to get under there. 
Straight down, if you crawl under the truck and look at the floor pan, you will see a big oval plug under the rear passenger's left foot (driver side). I have steps, no issues whatsoever, not even close...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Mn-Chevy - craw under your truck and look up under the rear seat  (Driver Side there a rubber plug . I have my power cables and my two-way radio antenna cable thru that plug.  Power cable run to the battery & antenna  run to the front fender / hood ( Driver side). "42" antenna . 

• 1 month later...
On 3/7/2018 at 7:44 AM, mn-chevy said:

I finally jumped the gun on a CB radio setup. I have been waiting for a local shop to install this but with the weather they have been really backed up. It doesnt look like a very hard thing to do but I am wondering if any on has advice with how to install the Antennas and cable from the pickup bed into the cab of the truck. I have not been under the truck yet to see if there are any spots the GM has left to run something in kinda like they do with the grommet in the firewall in the front of the truck. has anyone ran a CB cable into the cab and if so what seems to be the best way to do this?

I have a 2015 Silverado LTZ regular bed and crew cab 

CB Antennas

https://www.rightchannelradios.com/collections/firestik-cb-antennas/products/firestik-fs-dual-cb-antenna-kit

radio

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007B5ZAES/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you're still working on this, I have pictures of mine in an album.  The drain plugs are under the back of the front seats, near the inboard rails.  If you use the forward stake holes, cut the "caps" out with a utility knife, along the "inner edge" of the rail cap markings.  Once they're open, trim the edges with the utility knife.  You may have to open up the drain holes at the bottom of the stake wells, and fish them up through, if you have 259 connectors on all three ends.  If I go dual, I'm looking at using the "firering" coax.   

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't have any digital evidence of it, but I took my antenna cable through the driver's side vent on the back of the cab. It want easy, but I don't like putting holes in my truck.

If you go this route, make sure to leave a dip in the cable between the bed and cab to act as a water break. It will stop the water from dripping down the cable into the cab.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 2 months later...