GM Shows Off New 2019 Silverado 4500HD, 5500HD, 6500HD at Work Truck Show - Pictures and Details

Gorehamj

2019-Silverado-4500HD-012.jpg

John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
3-7-2018

Chevy showed off its medium-duty Class 4, 5 and 6 chassis cab trucks this week at the Indianapolis Work Truck Show. The 2019 Silverado 4500HD, 5500HD, and 6500HD will be available with 2WD or 4WD and will be powered by a 6.6-liter Duramax diesel engine with 350 horsepower and 700 lb.-ft. of torque and Allison transmissions. Power Take Off (PTO) is optional.

2019Silverado4500HD02.jpg

“Chevy’s designers and engineers were obsessed with making this Silverado the most customer-focused medium duty truck of any major competitor,” said Ed Peper, U.S. vice president, GM Fleet. “By customer-focused, I mean work-ready trucks that are easy to upfit, easy to drive, easy to service and easy to own.”

2019-Silverado-4500HD-011.jpg

For the new trucks, Chevy says it focused on addressing real-world issues owners and operators were looking for the company to address. The frame was one area of focus. Chevy addressed fuel line interference issues by putting the lines through the rails. The rivets and brackets were also eliminated from the top of the frame, making the frame rails one-piece and smooth. Corrosion was addressed by having the frames prepped and finished at the factory.

2019Silverado4500HD04.jpg

Service techs had complained they needed ladders to get up to and under the hood to work on the trucks. So Chevy has redesigned the way the hood opens. Now it is a tip-forward clamshell. In response to visibility and maneuverability issues, Chevy has increased the wheel cut to reduce turning radii, and contoured the hood for better corner visibility. To help eliminate fueling issues, Chevy moved the DEF filler to the opposite side of the truck.

2019-Silverado-6500HD-004.jpg

“It’s not just numbers on a spec sheet that make us different and better,” said John Schwegman, director of Commercial Product and Medium Duty at GM Fleet. “These new Silverados are designed to solve the most common upfit and ownership challenges fleets have with many of today’s medium-duty trucks.”

2019-Silverado-6500HD-003.jpg

GM Fleet delivered nearly 300,000 units to Commercial and Government customers in 2017 – the most since 2008 – and gained meaningful market share. GM's order guides will be available in the coming few months and pricing will be announced by summer. Look for the new Silverado 4500HD, 5500HD, and 6500HD trucks in late 2018 at commercially-focused Chevrolet dealers. 

Now that's a nice looking truck. A truck that looks like a truck.  Bravo, now if the engineers would listen to us for the half tones we'ed be cruisin'.

• Like 3

Interesting that the link shows is the 2018 3500 cab and chassis with the 6.6 duramax or 6.0 gasser along withthe new series --  but the new 2019 45/55/6500 just says diesel -- doesn't list specs.

41 minutes ago, redwngr said:

Interesting that the link shows is the 2018 3500 cab and chassis with the 6.6 duramax or 6.0 gasser along withthe new series --  but the new 2019 45/55/6500 just says diesel -- doesn't list specs.

Well the 3500 is built on a different platform.  Its still on the regular 3500 platform using its front end and cab.  Thats why it gets the 6.0

14 minutes ago, Logan Lanfear said:

Well the 3500 is built on a different platform.  Its still on the regular 3500 platform using its front end and cab.  Thats why it gets the 6.0

Yes.

The 3500 isn't new.  The link is to the existing 2018 3500 - cab and chassis version, same as has been available for years.  

But what the link doesn't show is what engine(s) are being used in the 45/55/6500.

Presumably they aren't using the 5.2L that is in the Low Cab Forward (LCF) versions of 45/55/65.

If they plan to use the L5P, why don't they just say so??

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Donstar said:

I think these are great looking trucks. A sweet little flatdeck with a hitch for a mega-sized toy hauler would be where some lottery winnings (dream on) would go!

I agree! These truck are long overdue. A few years before I retired the local govt I worked for bought two TopKicks for me to use as weed spraying trucks. They had LB7 Duramax engines and they are still in use today. The new fellows that I turned the raines over to when I left are excited that these potential new replacements will now be available.

On 3/7/2018 at 9:11 PM, redwngr said:

Yes.

The 3500 isn't new.  The link is to the existing 2018 3500 - cab and chassis version, same as has been available for years.  

But what the link doesn't show is what engine(s) are being used in the 45/55/6500.

Presumably they aren't using the 5.2L that is in the Low Cab Forward (LCF) versions of 45/55/65.

If they plan to use the L5P, why don't they just say so??

The new medium's use a detuned L5P at 350hp/700tq. You can check out the other specifications here

• Like 1

I see it now!

(Wonder if I missed it before or if it wasn't posted when I looked?  Probably just me...) 

So it will likely have a different rpo code, like what they did when the LGH was being used?