In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  
SkiDooNick700

Which Lawn/Garden Tractor To Buy?

I am very partial to the Ariens and Gravely lines.  American made, not a huge corp, awesome customer service and support. 

https://www.gravely.com/en-us

FOR A ZERO TURN, YOU CANT BEAT FERRIS, FULL INDEPENDENT SUSPENSION MACHINES, I RUN 3 OF THEM IN MY LAWN BUSINESS, NOTHING BUT PRODUCTION MACHINES THAT RUN LIKE CADDY'S  :) 

Just to throw a wrench in your decision, I had a 2011 Troy-bilt Pony practically given to me back in 2013.  $200 for mower, bagger and a trailer/cart.  I haven't had a problem with it since I owned it.  I just replaced battery last weekend.  It's a Lowes bought mower.   My yard is just under half an acre. I am a fanatic about my yard, so it gets used frequently and I often take it to my moms to mow her yard.  I know, it's just a Troy-Bilt, but its been good so far. 

Edited by SILVER SLED

Yea I ended up going with a Toro Timemaster 30" self propelled.  We'll see how this plays out.  No sign of mowing the lawn anytime soon in SE Michigan... will definitely report back though!

Honestly with a 1/2 acre - I'd get a low end zero turn, you'll regret a tractor on such a small lot you're going to be turning a lot... I have a Husquvarna 48" garden tractor that I dropped about 2k on 5 years or so ago and it's still running strong, I will replace it with a zero turn though... I mow about 3 acres....

On 3/29/2018 at 8:02 PM, Colossus said:

I am very partial to the Ariens and Gravely lines.  American made, not a huge corp, awesome customer service and support. 

https://www.gravely.com/en-us

I had great luck with an Ariens also..

When I lived in MD, I had 2+ acres to mow and bought what would be an old Murray with a huge cut. After we added landscaping, the Murray required circling and circling.. I know, buy a zero turn, but they didn't exist back then.. :D

I sold it and bought an Ariens which shortened the time it took and considerably.. When I moved to Michigan, I was mowing 6 acres and it handled that easily..

When I moved to NC, I had Bermuda grass and the neighbor who did landscaping said the Ariens would never handle it. The problem wasm't handling the mowing; it was the Bermuda grass filled the two grass catches quickly..

When I moved to western NC, he bought the Ariens from me and still has it... :D

A prime thing for the OP to consider is the dealer you buy from as some offer great service and others not so great. Or they are great but have a huge backlog and the grass doesn't stop growing. LOL

I just bought a Husqvarna 42” hydrostatic today at Lowe’s. Should be here on Thursday with their free delivery. Hopefully this will last for a long time. My first riding mower. We have a 1/2 acre here as well. Mostly flat with the exception of a ditch in the front. 

• Like 1

Just wanted to give a quick update.  I am very impressed with the Toro Timemaster 30" mower.  This thing is a beast.

Pros:

Toros personal pace really scoots this thing along! (which can also be a con until you get used to the sensitivity of the handle)

Engine runs while blade is disengaged (great for moving objects like sticks etc...)

The mower is a little bit heavier than your typical 21 or 22 inch mower which I like - it feels more planted especially if your yard isn't all that smooth.

Despite being heavier, it is still very easy to lift and turn around 180.

Mulching power seems pretty good, at least for grass clippings.  It was shooting grass clipping 4 cuts over (about 120 inches).

Cons:

Blue filter in gas tank (supposeivly for keeping gas from sloshing around) makes it difficult/impossible to determine how much gas is in the tank.  I've filled the tank 3 times now and am still trying to figure out the best way to do it.  Still spilling some gas, or removing the can too quickly which results in gas flying everywhere.

That's all for now.

Oh yea,  it takes me approx 45 minutes to mow my entire yard.   Its about 1 hour with weedwacking and cleanup with leaf blower. 

Edited by SkiDooNick700

Depends on what you need for a lawn tractor. You need to choose one depending on your preferences. It's good that you take care of your love, that means that you really love gardening, and your lawn especially. But for keeping your lawn healthy and beautiful you need to have a good watering system, that's also very important. In case you don't know what watering system to use you can find out on the internet.
Edited by MichMurray