In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Seam Sealer? What kind?

migizi

Question

I am going to replace my GPS Antenna on my 2015 Suburban LTZ (NO GPS signal on Nav Screen and the service menu shows no satellites acquired) 

The TSB for this symptom (and other related symptoms that I have experienced so far), calls for Kent High Tech Seam Sealer P10200 or equivalent when placing the new antenna.

I cannot find this product anywhere, so I called the MFG - I get no answer - just voice mail after long wait.

the more I look into the different (alternative) seam sealers, the less I know.

What 'seam sealer' would you GM Techs recommend when replacing the roof mounted shark fin antenna?

(also - as long as we are on this topic - any tips or tricks, or should it be straight forward - lower head liner - replace antenna)

Edited by migizi

14 answers to this question

I would just go to the local hardware store and grab a tube of 100% silicone caulk. Will work just as good, and cost 1/10th of what that stuff does.

Had it on the back glass trim of my '72 El Camino for 11 years - hadn't leaked a drop since, nor did it crack or peel being parked outdoors (in the UV capital of the world, Phoenix, AZ too) for 3 of those years.

Your call. I've used the stuff hundreds of times over 20+ years and NEVER once had a leak. Don't be shy with the stuff - put a good bead down, smooth out the excess, and it'll be fine. 

If you want the body shop stuff, just search the net, or see if a body shop will sell you a tube.

Edited by Jsdirt

GM specs this stuff:  https://www.kent-automotive.com/Kent/High-Tech-Seam-Sealer-Clear/P10200.ka

We use this, no problems.  Should be able to pick this up at an auto parts store, or a body shop supply store. 

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/3M-Flexiclear-Body-Seam-Sealer/?N=5002385+3293194145&rt=rud

Make sure you clean the roof and the antenna with a prep solvent to clean any contaminants.

Apply a continuous, uniform bead of the seam sealer, approximately 4–5 mm in height, around the perimeter of the existing roof opening water seal. 

Also, DO NOT over torque!  80 lb in is the spec. 

Edited by newdude
  • Like 1

Can't go wrong with 3M products. Quality stuff.

10 minutes ago, newdude said:

GM specs this stuff:  https://www.kent-automotive.com/Kent/High-Tech-Seam-Sealer-Clear/P10200.ka

We use this, no problems.  Should be able to pick this up at an auto parts store, or a body shop supply store. 

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/3M-Flexiclear-Body-Seam-Sealer/?N=5002385+3293194145&rt=rud

Make sure you clean the roof and the antenna with a prep solvent to clean any contaminants.

Thank you!

52 minutes ago, Doug_Scott said:

If it is the service bulletin I would ask the GM dealers parts department.  The dealers technicians only get parts from their parts department to complete service bulletin procedures. 

another great idea!

I shall try that first

https://www.amazon.com/Amazing-GOOP-170011-Marine-Adhesive/dp/B000BQUI7S/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1520560321&sr=8-3&keywords=marine+goop

This stuff works underwater, will last for decades, and once it dries, you could take the bolts out of the shark fin and it would never move.

15 hours ago, newdude said:

Do you know if the replacement high frequency antenna is plug and play or does it require any sort of reprogramming with Onstar or the HMI?

10 minutes ago, migizi said:

Do you know if the replacement high frequency antenna is plug and play or does it require any sort of reprogramming with Onstar or the HMI?

Plug and play.  Now, if you were replacing the OnStar module itself, the module has to be programmed.