3.08 NOT 3.42 Rear End Oops

2017 Z-71 5.3 4x4 6 Speed Double Cab

I read the Window Sticker on my truck and it says the rear end is a 3.08 not a 3.42 I thought I had........

Will this make a difference when towing??????

Thanks LeeB

1 hour ago, muddkatt said:

About the same difference as thinking it has a 6.2 only to find out its the 4.3....

I'm laughing so hard I'm in tears.

Even with 3.42 gears and the 5.3 I can fell the difference between 2,500 # and 4,000 # loads that I tow. My runs are normally less than 30 miles with only about 10 miles at good highway speeds and lot of stopping and starting. 

At 26,000 miles my lifetime fuel mileage seems to be locked in right around 21.5 MPG and I really don't do that much towing. 450 mile trips not towing bump me up to 21.7 MPG !!  To hit 22 MPG seems like I would have to drive downhill for a long time with a tailwind. Guys with the 3.08 gears claim 23-24 MPG all the time.

If you are not towing big loads for long distances you'll probably be fine. Without a load behind you you'll be burning less gas than i do !

Quit worrying and enjoy the truck !!

Mine had 3.08's, only towed over 2500# or so couple times. It's weird, there's a benefit to 3.08's as well as a drawback.  Benefit is you can run it in 4th gear which is 1.15 trans ratios effectively running it in 3.55 equivalent which isn't all that much gear on the highway.  With 3.42's 4th gear puts you at 3.93 equivalent, 5th gear drops it down to 2.90 which is too low.  8 speed trans has a 1/1 6th gear which is ideal for towing.  

Towing on the highway should be Ok, just get use to staying in 4th gear a lot. Issues could come up if you install a tall set of tires or try to pull up a really steep boat ramp in high range.

Archived