potential buyer 2018 5.3L 6 speed reliability?

1 hour ago, GRN69CHV said:

Just make sure the truck you are looking at has 3.42 gears, not the 3.08's.  3.08's are manageable on the highway but cause too much hunting on rural roads where you are driving in that 45mph range and down.

the 3.08 causes too much hunting at any speed unless its a constant speed on flat ground. still not sure what gm was thinking with that ratio

• Like 1

I’ve had my 2017, 5.3 , 6 speed, 3.42 for 9 months/14000 miles.
I’ve had zero problems thus far and no recalls. The only thing I had done was a tsb that addressed the rear camera brightness at night. It’s fine now.
I have no issues with the 6 speed either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SWOYER said:

After much internal debate about buying a Diablo tuner, I went with diablew. His customer service is awesome and for a daily it's a no brainier.  We don't need to tuners and autocal on a daily like this. So the price point is more attractive. You?

Not tuned as of yet.  I only have about 1500 miles on it, but the constant chugging at light tip in is beyond annoying.  I was looking at Diablew or Black Bear.  Just trying to weigh voiding the warranty with less than 2000 miles on it...

20 minutes ago, TRG said:

Not tuned as of yet.  I only have about 1500 miles on it, but the constant chugging at light tip in is beyond annoying.  I was looking at Diablew or Black Bear.  Just trying to weigh voiding the warranty with less than 2000 miles on it...

A totally non biased opinion, I don't know that one is better or worse than the other with respect to a relatively stock or bolt on vehicle.  If the vehicle was heavily modified I wouldn't be doing an email tune anyway.  So, go with what makes you more comfortable. I have heard mixed reviews about the warranty thing, but generally if you can set it back to stock before you take it in I haven't seen any widespread negative feedback. Just for thought. 

• Thanks 1

I also have enjoyed my last two six speeds.  When I read comments such as hesitation at 1/16th throttle or about hunting for gears I often think that a change in driver behavior may correct these complaints.  I have always advocated for manual transmissions but am often surprised at how much driver input can influence an automatic transmission.  IMO, it is reassuring to know that an automatic transmission still cannot outsmart the driver!

• Like 1

Well the dealership offered me a ludicrous trade offer... so I walked away. I have a 2017 rav4 awd... they offered me 15,000 dollars for it for the first offer. It only has 4800 miles on it so I obviously seen they were trying to rob me and just left. 

2 hours ago, qrexler said:

Well the dealership offered me a ludicrous trade offer... so I walked away. I have a 2017 rav4 awd... they offered me 15,000 dollars for it for the first offer. It only has 4800 miles on it so I obviously seen they were trying to rob me and just left. 

For what its worth your experience is not unusual.  I bet they gave you a good price on the new truck!  They try to get you on the trade or the purchase price (or both).  Let them know what price you'd feel good at and wait for their response.  Be generous on what you want for the Toyota because they will counter or say they can't !  You may have to wait for a few days and then compromise with the price you wanted in the first place!

3 hours ago, Donstar said:

I also have enjoyed my last two six speeds.  When I read comments such as hesitation at 1/16th throttle or about hunting for gears I often think that a change in driver behavior may correct these complaints.  I have always advocated for manual transmissions but am often surprised at how much driver input can influence an automatic transmission.  IMO, it is reassuring to know that an automatic transmission still cannot outsmart the driver!

I'm sure that a 3.73 or even a 3.42 would definitely make it feel stronger and more responsive but when you'e running a 3.08 at 45 mph with a .65 OD the truck plain and simply can not accelerate without forcing a downshift. I'm not aggressive with mine at all but at 45 mph the truck is at 800 rpm, theres just no power there. As I said in another thread, the 6 and 8 speed would be great if gm would put a minimum of 3.73 in them and added the gears to the overdrive side. The current ratios are good enough to get a load moving, Id much rather have a truck with a 4.88 gear ratio because it wont have any problem getting the load moving and then instead of a .65 maybe you could get away with even taller than that and keep the mpgs. The transmissions are tuned to try to get as much mpg as possible by shifting as high as they can asap. Theres no reason for a truck to be in the second OD at 45 mph. I am definitely looking forward to having my 3.08 swapped out with the 4.10s I ordered

My 2016 5.3 with 6 speed has very firm bumps when it downshifts coasting to a stop.  I feel it at 40, 30, 20 and almost stopped.  Irritates the heck out of me.  Same thing happens after they replaced the valve body and TCM.  

3 hours ago, Donstar said:

For what its worth your experience is not unusual.  I bet they gave you a good price on the new truck!  They try to get you on the trade or the purchase price (or both).  Let them know what price you'd feel good at and wait for their response.  Be generous on what you want for the Toyota because they will counter or say they can't !  You may have to wait for a few days and then compromise with the price you wanted in the first place!

Oh I was plenty generous on my trade... nada says it's worth 21,500, and kbb says it's worth 19750. I was willing to settle at 20,000 even. They wouldn't go a dime over 18,500.

13 hours ago, Donstar said:

Agree. 9 out of 10 the driver is the problem. But there is one in ten that isn't. Oh well. 

I'm also a big fan of manual transmissions. That said, I've had some really good slush boxes. My biggest complain about automatics was there inability to lock up in high gear. That's been solved for quite some time now. A well tuned automatic is a dream. IMO

21 hours ago, Donstar said:

Unfortunately mine demonstrates the exact same fish bite/chuggle/hunting for gears while in Cruise Control as well, so nothing to do with "driver behavior" here. 

I miss manual transmissions  - wish they made that an option or package on these new trucks!