potential buyer 2018 5.3L 6 speed reliability?

1 hour ago, TRG said:

Unfortunately mine demonstrates the exact same fish bite/chuggle/hunting for gears while in Cruise Control as well, so nothing to do with "driver behavior" here. 

I miss manual transmissions  - wish they made that an option or package on these new trucks! 

I feel for ya. Wish they did to...but they don't and they wont. This six speed can be really good and if you have one that isn't there is a reason. ( the 6L80/90E's don't make it personal :lol: ). 

Well the dealership offered me a ludicrous trade offer... so I walked away. I have a 2017 rav4 awd... they offered me 15,000 dollars for it for the first offer. It only has 4800 miles on it so I obviously seen they were trying to rob me and just left. 

When I bought my 2017 Silverado, I was trading a 2008 Tacoma with 180k miles. Kbb NADA value was between $8-9.5k. They started at $3k!! I laughed at them and got up out of my chair (I got out of my chair 3 times during negotiations!)

After an hour of haggling, I got them to $8k + the black rectangular OEM running boards. I got what I wanted in the end, but they didn’t make it easy.

RAM dealer had already offered 8k for my Tacoma, so every time I got up from my chair, I told them I was going to look at the RAM again. They didn’t like that! Lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, TRG said:

Unfortunately mine demonstrates the exact same fish bite/chuggle/hunting for gears while in Cruise Control as well, so nothing to do with "driver behavior" here. 

I miss manual transmissions  - wish they made that an option or package on these new trucks! 

I think real trucks have 3 pedals on the floor (the parking brake doesn't count lol). The only full size still offered with a manual is Dodge, but you have to get the Cummins to get the Mercedes manual.:driving:

My 14 has the 4.3, 6spd, and 3.23 gears. The only time it has issues figuring out what gear it wants is on hilly roads with a heavy load, or driving on the freeway into a very strong headwind. I find myself in tow/haul in these situations so it hangs onto gears longer.

2 hours ago, TRG said:

1 hour ago, Grumpy Bear said:

I feel for ya. Wish they did to...but they don't and they wont. This six speed can be really good and if you have one that isn't there is a reason. ( the 6L80/90E's don't make it personal :lol: ). 

It is unfortunate that your transmission is misbehaving while on cruise. It should gear down and up to maintain the set speed.  If this is what a bite/chuggle/hunting means then this is normal and can't be repaired.  If it is doing something different than gearing up and down or maintaining set speed then get it repaired under warranty.  I drive up island quite often.  It is hilly and speed limit is 120 kph  (75 mph) for much of the drive.  I find that setting the cruise above 130 kph finds the transmission shifting more often to maintain speed but shifts are expected and predictable.  If your transmission is working normally and hearing it shift is bothersome then tow/haul node will reduce the frequency.  With respect to the manual transmission, I believe Grumpy is probably correct on this one too.  North American emissions standards have made auto manufacturers quit supplying vehicles with manual transmissions.  Now a generation has passed without these being commonplace creating a majority of drivers who can't drive with a manual transmission.  There are many who scoff at the suggestion of a manual transmission.  Even when they were plentiful many drivers struggled.  Automatics gained popularity for good reason.  However, this does not mean there isn't a substantial market for those of us who prefer having this level of control.  I understand that offering a manual transmission can strain compliance with EPA regulations and easier for North American auto suppliers to say there is no market.  The truth is manufacturers cannot control drivers' behavior like they can with an automatic.   

Edited by Donstar

So I have traveled to a dealership and its the best offer I can find... I have some negative I would have to roll from my current vehicle. With all the discounts and after negative they are wanting to sell a 2018 silverado crew cab 4x4 LT Z71 package white in color for around 45,000-45,500 dollars out the door, this includes gap, tax, title, and license. thoughts?

28 minutes ago, qrexler said:

So I have traveled to a dealership and its the best offer I can find... I have some negative I would have to roll from my current vehicle. With all the discounts and after negative they are wanting to sell a 2018 silverado crew cab 4x4 LT Z71 package white in color for around 45,000-45,500 dollars out the door, this includes gap, tax, title, and license. thoughts?

Would putting out a tender bid to about 10-12 local dealers work for you? It might get you much better pricing........

the negative is high... I have the cash to pay off the negative, or buy the truck outright. But I prefer financing to keep my credit steady... As I do not have many loans. the truck sale value is 35887 if i go through my own bank and not GM financial

47 minutes ago, qrexler said:

Just spit ball'n here. Minus tax, title and license that number minus the "True Car" price for the new truck would be what the offer is for your truck. Right? Then the question is...is that a good number for you? BTW the way that deal reads you're paying taxes on the trade aren't you? 

I'm crazier that most but when a dealer gets greedy I get gone and if that means I get to  keep the truck I really like then I'll tune the transmission and ignore the warranty. He can take a powder. 

Edited by Grumpy Bear

10 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Just spit ball'n here. Minus tax, title and license that number minus the "True Car" price for the new truck would be what the offer is for your truck. Right? Then the question is...is that a good number for you? BTW the way that deal reads you're paying taxes on the trade aren't you? 

I'm crazier that most but when a dealer gets greedy I get gone and if that means I get to  keep the truck I really like then I'll tune the transmission and ignore the warranty. He can take a powder. 

Basically... MSRP on the new truck is 47940

The sale price is 34887

+1000 because I will not finance through GM

so... 35887

I have to pay the difference in taxes because the truck is greater than my 2017 I own now.

Trade value is 21700

this makes 7500 negative

so out the door after tax title license and negative I am asking

the truck is 2018 white LT z71 4x4 crew cab

2 hours ago, qrexler said:

the negative is high... I have the cash to pay off the negative, or buy the truck outright. But I prefer financing to keep my credit steady... As I do not have many loans. the truck sale value is 35887 if i go through my own bank and not GM financial

Actually what I meant was to get improved pricing on the new truck. The situation on your current ride is a totally separate issue.

1 hour ago, qrexler said:

Basically... MSRP on the new truck is 47940

The sale price is 34887

+1000 because I will not finance through GM

so... 35887

I have to pay the difference in taxes because the truck is greater than my 2017 I own now.

Trade value is 21700

this makes 7500 negative

so out the door after tax title license and negative I am asking

the truck is 2018 white LT z71 4x4 crew cab

So you owe $29,200 on the current truck. So what your asking is if taking a $7,500 bath on your current truck to take the chance the new one will not be the same or worse is a good deal? Hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

So let me ask,  what warranty work do you think is going to come up that $7,500 in cash won't cover? You've already said you have that much you can lite cigars with. 

Pretty sure Black Bear can fix this for a fraction of that. It would be pretty hard to make the case that a warranty is more important than tossing that much money away. Told ya, I'm nuts! :lol:

19 minutes ago, Nanotech Environmental said:

Actually what I meant was to get improved pricing on the new truck. The situation on your current ride is a totally separate issue.

So you think cash out of pocket isn't the end game?  Doesn't matter how good the cash price is if the trade value leaves the deal upside down. Doesn't matter how good the trade price is if the cash price is over the top. The only thing that matters is cash out of pocket. :thumbs:

On 3/12/2018 at 3:58 PM, qrexler said:

Oh I was plenty generous on my trade... nada says it's worth 21,500, and kbb says it's worth 19750. I was willing to settle at 20,000 even. They wouldn't go a dime over 18,500.

Is 21,5 the trade-in value, private seller, or retail? Might be worth selling it yourself if 21,5 is trade in.   Yodas sell fast private party especially one owner low milers. Every time my mom gets a new Honda I sell her old one, last one was a Civic she bought new had 60k on it. Local ass wipe Honda dealer offered 5,5. Dealer she bought from offered 6,5. Book private was 9,2 I sold it for 9,0 week after posted on CL I picked up the check direct from buyers bank when they finalized their loan. 2500 bucks is 2500 bucks I figure I had 3 hours of my time invested and 10 bucks in gas to sell it.

2 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

So you think cash out of pocket isn't the end game?  Doesn't matter how good the cash price is if the trade value leaves the deal upside down. Doesn't matter how good the trade price is if the cash price is over the top. The only thing that matters is cash out of pocket. :thumbs:

It's always the end game and was implied in my posts. There is no sure answer for that yet until one finds out best price from several competing bids. It appears the OP might only have one quote so far......Might get a better trade value from another dealer as well.

Edited by Nanotech Environmental