potential buyer 2018 5.3L 6 speed reliability?

23 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

So you owe $29,200 on the current truck. So what your asking is if taking a $7,500 bath on your current truck to take the chance the new one will not be the same or worse is a good deal? Hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

So let me ask,  what warranty work do you think is going to come up that $7,500 in cash won't cover? You've already said you have that much you can lite cigars with. 

Pretty sure Black Bear can fix this for a fraction of that. It would be pretty hard to make the case that a warranty is more important than tossing that much money away. Told ya, I'm nuts! :lol:

Isn’t his trade in a Toyota Rav 4 not a GM? Or did I read this wrong?

2 hours ago, qrexler said:

Basically... MSRP on the new truck is 47940

The sale price is 34887

+1000 because I will not finance through GM

so... 35887

I have to pay the difference in taxes because the truck is greater than my 2017 I own now.

Trade value is 21700

this makes 7500 negative

so out the door after tax title license and negative I am asking

the truck is 2018 white LT z71 4x4 crew cab

When I financed my 15 GM offered 1,500 to finance though Ally. My credit union has hella rates for autos but I knew I was paying the 15 off early. I paid it off in 21 months figured it out I paid 700 to Ally would have paid 350ish to the CU so still ended up ahead a couple of bucks. I’ve read somewhere that you only have to hold a loan though GM for so many months (I think it was 10-15?) then can refi somewhere else without penalty. Might be worth inquiring about?

Getting well over 10 off a LT is a great deal IMO. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Came out 42,450 in a 4x4 crew cab 5.3l I got all the features I wanted... premium suspension (looks like a slight lift from what I can tell), comfort package, no cylinder deactivation on this truck, and 4x4 manually in the floor.  It has some giant 20" chrome wheels which I feel like I'll sell later... otherwise I love it. So far avg mpg is 18.

20180320_171844-1612x1209.jpg

FWIW I have the 8-speed in my 2018 and have had no issues. I think it drives noticeably better than the six speed in my 2014 and in a 2017 that I drove for a period.

I will def agree the 8 speed does shift better then the 15 I had. I did have the V6 in the 15 but the trans is the same so IDK if that matters. The 15 shifted horrible the 18 it’s much better. I did notice a few weird up shifts here or there but a 100 times better then the 6 speed I had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will def agree the 8 speed does shift better then the 15 I had. I did have the V6 in the 15 but the trans is the same so IDK if that matters. The 15 shifted horrible the 18 it’s much better. I did notice a few weird up shifts here or there but a 100 times better then the 6 speed I had.

I had the v6 2015 Silverado 2 to 3 shift we're bad and 3 to 2 shifts were bad... sometimes if you had the throttle just right harsh shutter. Dealership wouldn't do anything just reflash it and did nothing. My 2017 5.3l 6spd has had no issues and I have 14k on it right now.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I had the v6 2015 Silverado 2 to 3 shift we're bad and 3 to 2 shifts were bad... sometimes if you had the throttle just right harsh shutter. Dealership wouldn't do anything just reflash it and did nothing. My 2017 5.3l 6spd has had no issues and I have 14k on it right now.

A 100% same thing with mine told them 3 times each time nothing was done. Same thing oh we reflashed it. Same thing I put 33k on it before I turned it back on the lease. Drove around with there lead guy and his response was that’s how they made them. I said oh I guess feeling like your riding a mechanical bull is normal then lol.

A 100% same thing with mine told them 3 times each time nothing was done. Same thing oh we reflashed it. Same thing I put 33k on it before I turned it back on the lease. Drove around with there lead guy and his response was that’s how they made them. I said oh I guess feeling like your riding a mechanical bull is normal then lol.

Lol I put 150k Mine before trading it in. Didn't seem to impact anything. Even when hauling around the house trailer... I think the tow / haul mode helped cause the rpm stay higher

4 hours ago, qrexler said:

Came out 42,450 in a 4x4 crew cab 5.3l I got all the features I wanted... premium suspension (looks like a slight lift from what I can tell), comfort package, no cylinder deactivation on this truck, and 4x4 manually in the floor.  It has some giant 20" chrome wheels which I feel like I'll sell later... otherwise I love it. So far avg mpg is 18.

20180320_171844-1612x1209.jpg

Congrats on the purchase!  I didnt know you could still get a floor shift transfer case anymore.

Lol I put 150k Mine before trading it in. Didn't seem to impact anything. Even when hauling around the house trailer... I think the tow / haul mode helped cause the rpm stay higher

Never thought of that I never used the tow haul the only thing I ever pulled was a jet ski and hat you can pull with a smart car lol. So I didn’t mind the V6 I love the 5.3 but I do notice the gas more now lol.

• Like 1

20180320_171844-1612x1209.thumb.jpg.eed8f02bf66b2fbc3b0493f5f2cffcb1.jpg

How'd you get it without cylinder deactivation? Did the dealer flash the computer for you?

41 minutes ago, jgraves13 said:

How'd you get it without cylinder deactivation? Did the dealer flash the computer for you?

I'd like to hear more about this truck.  It sounds a little odd  for a new truck. Chrome 20's with floor transfer case shift and no V4?

1 hour ago, Donstar said:

I'd like to hear more about this truck.  It sounds a little odd  for a new truck. Chrome 20's with floor transfer case shift and no V4?

Silverado custom doesn't come with v4 . It's a trim too low to have it,  starts on It and up. 

16 minutes ago, qrexler said:

Silverado custom doesn't come with v4 . It's a trim too low to have it,  starts on It and up. 

That doesn't sound right to me but I could be wrong.  I've also never seen this last generation truck that is moderately loaded with a floor shifter either.  

I just looked on chevy's website and built a base model truck and it does show two different V8's but both have active fuel management.  The only difference is that one has Variable Valve Timing and the other does not.  The one without VVT is also only available in 2wd only.  

Edited by tnchevy

20 minutes ago, tnchevy said:

That doesn't sound right to me but I could be wrong.  I've also never seen this last generation truck that is moderately loaded with a floor shifter either.  

You can order a W/T with the chrome custom option ( it was called something like this) which gets the 20s. A dealer around here had one on their lot. I looked it up on their site it was like a 2-3k option on the window sticker and with the W/T instead of a LT it deleted a lot of the package. Can’t imagine to many get ordered this way.

I’m sure your right on the V4 it was discussed on here before I believe with the W/Ts it doesn’t show it on the screen in the dash because the instrument panel is different on them. 

Edited by wforrest08