2017 6.2L lifter and tranny issues less than 20K

Trucks been at dealer for over 2 weeks for tranny shudder and then they found collapsed lifter. Less than 20K miles. What is with these trucks? Dealer says there are no issues with them, even after I bring up all the bulletins. Seems a bit early for a lifter issue compared to everything else I've been reading. They claimed it wasn't AFM related....Anyone get anywhere with GM? I told them I wasn't happy a less than year old truck now has a bunch of issues and has been all torn apart.

my 2015 had passenger side lifter/injector bank replaced, lifter was collapsed making god awful "tinking" sound - 6.2 w/ 42k on it at the time.

AFM Is the reason. I've had it in other GM vehicles, well documented crap hardware. Doesn't belong in performance engines, I think there is some interaction between torque converter lockup & AFM as well that contributes to the sloppy/jarring/clunking/harsh tranny shifting as well.

Yeah, plenty of people have issues with there AFM.  Sadly, they can be a time bomb in many cases.  However, thats not always the case.  Im assuming the dealer should fix everything under warranty correct?

Personally I miss the days of non AFM engines.  Im currently in the market for another truck and thats the main reason im sticking to pre 2007.  

1 hour ago, crushNchowda said:

my 2015 had passenger side lifter/injector bank replaced, lifter was collapsed making god awful "tinking" sound - 6.2 w/ 42k on it at the time.

AFM Is the reason. I've had it in other GM vehicles, well documented crap hardware. Doesn't belong in performance engines, I think there is some interaction between torque converter lockup & AFM as well that contributes to the sloppy/jarring/clunking/harsh tranny shifting as well.

"performance engines" well it is a truck so... Well documented crap? You are in the minority there, issues are very rare especially in these later gens.

OP, if it is in enough for the same problem you can lemon law, but if you are having some different issues sporadically with different parts they are inclined to fix it, not replace your truck because you aren't happy. You don't like it sell it, having some stuff fixed doesn't make it worse in the long run or cause resale issues. Many times the new replacement parts are better and more reliable than originally on there as they include a fix or update. Let them fix it and move on.

Example, brothers 2012 Silverado had an ECM failure where the truck twice died and wouldn't start. Thought they had it fixed the first time 1 day after buying it driving from south Texas to DFW when it died in Austin, no go. Second fix has been perfect for 80k, and this is his business truck so it must be reliable.

BTW, AFM issues are extremely rare and works great as intended if working correctly. As with anything mechanical made by man there can be rogue issues, it happens just have it addressed and move on.

Tyler

I plan to address mine by tuning it out. AFM sucks. There should be an option to turn it off on these trucks. If I was worried out fuel management, I wouldn’t have bought a full size truck with a 6.2 v8, I would have shopped for a Prius. If the technology has shown that it can possibly harm the longevity of the motor, the consumer shouldn’t be forced to use it. 

3 hours ago, Mattbmx63 said:

Trucks been at dealer for over 2 weeks for tranny shudder and then they found collapsed lifter. Less than 20K miles. What is with these trucks? Dealer says there are no issues with them, even after I bring up all the bulletins. Seems a bit early for a lifter issue compared to everything else I've been reading. They claimed it wasn't AFM related....Anyone get anywhere with GM? I told them I wasn't happy a less than year old truck now has a bunch of issues and has been all torn apart.

Let them fix it, and drive the piss out of it. 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 12:53 PM, amxguy1970 said:

"performance engines" well it is a truck so... Well documented crap? You are in the minority there, issues are very rare especially in these later gens.

OP, if it is in enough for the same problem you can lemon law, but if you are having some different issues sporadically with different parts they are inclined to fix it, not replace your truck because you aren't happy. You don't like it sell it, having some stuff fixed doesn't make it worse in the long run or cause resale issues. Many times the new replacement parts are better and more reliable than originally on there as they include a fix or update. Let them fix it and move on.

Example, brothers 2012 Silverado had an ECM failure where the truck twice died and wouldn't start. Thought they had it fixed the first time 1 day after buying it driving from south Texas to DFW when it died in Austin, no go. Second fix has been perfect for 80k, and this is his business truck so it must be reliable.

BTW, AFM issues are extremely rare and works great as intended if working correctly. As with anything mechanical made by man there can be rogue issues, it happens just have it addressed and move on.

Tyler

They're extremely rare? Then hell I must be extremely lucky (unlucky?) - 2x2014+ trucks w/ issues & 1 '08 G8 GT w/ issues - both repaired under warranty, but you're kidding yourself if you don't think its a fairly common issue. Is it something that effects 90% of their trucks? Surely not, but many people don't really drive very much or very hard or have numerous "cold starts" in frigid temps etc.  - I think its a fairly significant problem & its been documented all over the place not just in their trucks.

Just an FYI - the G8 GT I had was decently modded & I had the tune removed prior to the TSBs/warranty repairs being performed (removed for AFM lifter failure, not for the tranny 2-3 shift flare issue) - & both times dealer said NOTHING to me about mods or tune (either "flash" of the tune when removed & back to stock programming or when the aftermarket tune was intact w/ the tranny repair)

AFM = junk. Which is why companies like Livernois have a business selling kits like this: https://www.livernoismotorsports.com/product/LPP802102

Call them up & ask what percentage of customers buying DOD/AFM delete kits are doing so purely on a whim as a performance upgrade or because they HAVE to as a result of failure out of warranty. Go ahead & report back on how isolated an issue this is.:lurk:

On 3/13/2018 at 10:41 AM, Logan Lanfear said:

Yeah, plenty of people have issues with there AFM.  Sadly, they can be a time bomb in many cases.  However, thats not always the case.  Im assuming the dealer should fix everything under warranty correct?

Personally I miss the days of non AFM engines.  Im currently in the market for another truck and thats the main reason im sticking to pre 2007.  

Same here.  I'll be looking at a 1500 soon, and I'm probably going to go with a GMT-800.  I don't want to risk the AFM headache. 

On 3/13/2018 at 11:20 AM, dmorrisL86 said:

I plan to address mine by tuning it out. AFM sucks. There should be an option to turn it off on these trucks. If I was worried out fuel management, I wouldn’t have bought a full size truck with a 6.2 v8, I would have shopped for a Prius. If the technology has shown that it can possibly harm the longevity of the motor, the consumer shouldn’t be forced to use it. 

You can tune it out, but the equipment that is still in the engine will still cause issues, even with AFM turned off.

Questions for the the people that have had the lifter issues. 1. Was the High Pressure Fuel Pump replaced on your truck before or after the lifter issue?  2. Have you ever noticed the oil level actually RISING between oil changes? 3. Do you check the oil level at every Fuel up?  4. Have you ever noticed that your oil has a strong gasoline odor?  

I just had the HPFP replaced due to it dripping/leaking gasoline into the cranckcase oil. It is a 6.2 with 15,000 miles. Makes me wonder how many vehicles are affected by the issue that are just never caught and are driven many thousands of miles with the gasoline diluted engine oil washing the bearings/lifters etc and causing internal engine damage? I am of the opinion that GM designed an awesome engine and that is very durable in a perfect world. However gasoline diluted engine oil is an outside factor that they may not have calculated in? Or maybe it means nothing and gasoline is a great lubricant and properly protects all metal to metal surfaces inside the engine very well Hahahahahahahahaha (better to laugh than cry)    

Archived