Why doesn't GM color match the interior 100%

Not long ago they were color matched and people complained.  So now they listen and another group don't like it.  I think the lighter color helps to cool down the truck quicker and lightens up a dark interior.

I've driven GM through just about every generation. 97, 05, 07, 11, etc... I've NEVER seen an all black headliner in the trucks. In the cars sure, but never the trucks. I saw in the spy shots the T1 series would have a black headliner, but unfortunately it seems to be exclusive to the lighter colored interior which imo blows. I want an all black interior and never had the option. Ford has had it for a while though, so maybe GM will offer it next generation..

Oh well, back to the crazy idea of one day getting it wrapped in black suede. Can't believe they still don't offer this basic option.

Headliner doesn't bother me IMO.  Gives some light to an all black interior, more airy feel.

I for one am upset to not see a height adjustable seatbelt.  WTF is with the disappearance of that feature. 

16 hours ago, swathdiver said:

Not long ago they were color matched and people complained.  So now they listen and another group don't like it.  I think the lighter color helps to cool down the truck quicker and lightens up a dark interior.

I've never seen a color match interior in a truck from GM. I don't really think heat soak is going to be much of an issue with trucks anymore. Especially since most models now come with tinted windows from the factory. Plus I'm in Alabama so it'll have 5% tint within a couple hours of purchasing. 

6 hours ago, EChavez said:

I've driven GM through just about every generation. 97, 05, 07, 11, etc... I've NEVER seen an all black headliner in the trucks. In the cars sure, but never the trucks. I saw in the spy shots the T1 series would have a black headliner, but unfortunately it seems to be exclusive to the lighter colored interior which imo blows. I want an all black interior and never had the option. Ford has had it for a while though, so maybe GM will offer it next generation..

Oh well, back to the crazy idea of one day getting it wrapped in black suede. Can't believe they still don't offer this basic option.

Same here. I was excited when they debuted the high country and I saw that the brown interior went throughout the entire cabin. I was very disappointed when I saw that the black interior does not. In my opinion the all black interior really steps up the premium look and feel. The F150's and Super Duty's with all the black cabins are really slick looking. 

5 hours ago, newdude said:

Headliner doesn't bother me IMO.  Gives some light to an all black interior, more airy feel.

I for one am upset to not see a height adjustable seatbelt.  WTF is with the disappearance of that feature. 

Wow good catch! I didn't notice that when looking at the interior. 

I guess I don't get it. What's all the fixation on everything black? Inside, outside, wheels. Not a fan of black on black on black.

Edited by tbarn

1 minute ago, tbarn said:

I guess I don't get it. What's all the fixation on everything black?

It just looks a lot nicer than having two different contrasting colors in the same interior. The black interior with the off white pillars and headliner is tacky. Especially in a $60k+ truck. 

Edited by crafferty

2 hours ago, crafferty said:

I've never seen a color match interior in a truck from GM.

Way back in the 70's and 80's they had color matched interiors. Had one with red, two with blue, and a graphite one. All of my trucks in the 90's had the grey interior, so I will say the grey was color matched where others probably wasn't.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, newdude said:

They probably did it to save money figuring not many people would actually notice

13 hours ago, crafferty said:

It just looks a lot nicer than having two different contrasting colors in the same interior. The black interior with the off white pillars and headliner is tacky. Especially in a $60k+ truck. 

Doesn't look at all tacky and actually helps the interior in multiple ways and gives some contrast. I buy black interiors in trucks to keep from showing dirt since we actually use our trucks, lighter interiors look better but a at least a lighter headliner helps with some added light, keeping it a little cooler (in Texas every little bit helps) and gives some contrast. It isn't like they use weird color, it is grey...

19 hours ago, EChavez said:

I've driven GM through just about every generation. 97, 05, 07, 11, etc...

Think you are missing about 50+ years of generations...

Tyler

On 3/14/2018 at 7:50 PM, tbarn said:

Ha. Caught me mid edit.

Opps! I could careless about the wheels. I just want a black on black interior to give it a premium feel to match the premium price we pay nowadays. 

On 3/14/2018 at 9:43 PM, muddkatt said:

Way back in the 70's and 80's they had color matched interiors. Had one with red, two with blue, and a graphite one. All of my trucks in the 90's had the grey interior, so I will say the grey was color matched where others probably wasn't.

Yeah the classics used to but nothing in the last two decades.

17 hours ago, MixerDriver said:

They probably did it to save money figuring not many people would actually notice

Doubt it since the brown interior is color matched.

16 hours ago, mkward72 said:

This is my guess to. One color for all trucks saves them inventory and manufacturing as well.

The brown interior is actually color matched looking at the high country in the Chevrolet reveal and the GMC tool online.

14 hours ago, amxguy1970 said:

Doesn't look at all tacky and actually helps the interior in multiple ways and gives some contrast. I buy black interiors in trucks to keep from showing dirt since we actually use our trucks, lighter interiors look better but a at least a lighter headliner helps with some added light, keeping it a little cooler (in Texas every little bit helps) and gives some contrast. It isn't like they use weird color, it is grey...

Tyler

Like I said before its my personal opinion and when I'm spending $60k on a truck I expect to have premium elements that are found in other vehicles like the F150's and SuperDutys. Living in Alabama I have yet to notice a difference in temperature between a two tone interior that is light and an all black interior. The sun is brutal down south as you know either way! 

13 hours ago, strickland604 said:

I hope the 2019's will have another color scheme other than Coca and Dune.  Gm had to get some kind of price break on these colors because it seems like it was in almost every truck they made.

Look at the 2019 GMC on GMC.com. They have a tool about halfway down the page that lets you edit the interior and exterior. Interior only shows a brown and black option.

• 1 month later...