2014-2018 Silverado/Sierra High Mileage

1 hour ago, Sierra Dan said:

What did you replace them with? 

+2 on Junk Ranchos (Tenneco's) :smash:

Honestly, I decided to try upgraded Rancho's (5000x series) ..... so far so good.... ride and handling is better, the only drawback is the rust on the rear shocks.... but for the price, I'll toss them next spring and put two new ones in.....

• 1 month later...

2015 GMC Sierra with 127,000 miles. Transmission had to be replaced at 125,000 miles. I decided on a factory reman tranny from GM. $3150 OTD at my local dealer in Arizona. Just want to spread the word as my Sierra has more miles than most. I drive roughly 40,000 miles a year for my job. Also had a leaking rear differential seal at about 110,000 miles.

Honestly, I’m thinking Tundra for my next truck. It would seem GM doesn’t build their half ton trucks like they used to. 

Or maybe I’m just really unlucky and got a bad truck?

10 hours ago, jaconrad15 said:

2015 GMC Sierra with 127,000 miles. Transmission had to be replaced at 125,000 miles. I decided on a factory reman tranny from GM. $3150 OTD at my local dealer in Arizona. Just want to spread the word as my Sierra has more miles than most. I drive roughly 40,000 miles a year for my job. Also had a leaking rear differential seal at about 110,000 miles.

Honestly, I’m thinking Tundra for my next truck. It would seem GM doesn’t build their half ton trucks like they used to. 

Or maybe I’m just really unlucky and got a bad truck?

Does any car/truck manufacturer build their vehicles like they used to ? :confused:

• Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...

I'm about a month away from my "one year of ownership, point", and I currently have 26,000 miles on my 2018. I expect to end the year at 28,000. I actually started driving the wife's car on the weekends because I was on pace for 36,000 miles and I thought...do I really want to be out of my bumper to bumper warranty before the year is even out?

I like the truck, I haven't had any real issues with it, I've managed to average 24.1 mpg during that time...although cold weather driving over the last four months has really chipped away at that (before the winter my average was 25.9, I'm serious). Now on a typical week I end up averaging 22.

The only real thing I can complain about is the transmission...the way it seems to shift from one gear to the next...up, then down, up then down...as the V8 switches to V4. It doesn't "bother me", but I worry about damage to the transmission, the constant engagement of one gear to the next...doesn't seem like that's a good thing. At times it feel harsh, at times it doesn't. Like sometimes you can feel it kind of go into that gear, at times it's less noticeable. Sometimes you can hear a clunk, sometimes you can't. Once I'm on the highway really moving it's fine, but those back roads going 40 with someone slow in front of you? The thing gets very antsy and doesn't seem to know what to do. 

But great truck so far...looks good....good power....great gas mileage. Haven't had one leak or had one trip to the dealer. Installed a catch can, I've undercoated the thing twice already...going to do it a third time after the winter. Very quiet and comfortable ride. Thing drives straight down the road despite hitting several pot holes this winter.

On 3/14/2018 at 1:04 PM, wforrest08 said:

What’s annoying is there ain’t one truck in that thread with over 100k on it. Not sure what people think high mileage is but 30k don’t count...

I noticed that too. I was hoping to see some with 150,000+ miles.

They must think 20,000 miles a year is high mileage. 

I used to put 50,000 - 65,000 miles a year on my trucks when I did more work out of town. Now my jobs are close to home and I only put on 1000 - 1500 miles a month for work.

Edited by dieselfan1
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, dieselfan1 said:

I noticed that too. I was hoping to see some with 150,000+ miles.

They must think 20,000 miles a year is high mileage. 

I used to put 50,000 - 65,000 miles a year on my trucks when I did more work out of town. Now my jobs are close to home and I only put on 1000 - 1500 miles a month for work.

20,000-30,000 a year is nothing? Lol, it’s twice as much as the average driver does.

Im always amazed at the guys who put 50,000-60,000 a year on their cars/trucks. Those are the stories I enjoying reading about the most. Definitely not enough of them, probably because they’re work trucks and people who use them for work/construction don’t really have an interest or connection to the vehicle outside of work/business. I guess? I don’t know.

• 3 weeks later...

Not quite high mileage yet but, I drive a lot of miles in a year... 2016 with about 3 years 4 months in service and I'm at just over 65k miles... I will see how the trade in value is looking in about a year and I may swap it for a 2019 or 2020 model..

On 3/9/2019 at 11:41 AM, rah7777777 said:

I did 1800 miles last year... that not high enough?  :-)

I owned my last truck for a hair over 9 years and almost put 20k on her. 

I beat you i put 2900 miles on in a year. Hoping to have truck for 20 years.

• Like 1