2020_SilveradoHD_SpyShots01.jpg

Zane Merva

Executive Editor, GM-Trucks.com

3/16/18

General Motors is hard at work testing the next generation of Heavy-Duty Silverado and Sierra pickups.  The 2020 model has recently been undergoing cold weather testing, which is really no surprise as it's "winter" in North America right now. Our Spy Photographer recently put together a HUGE 46 image MEGA SET of 2020 Silverado HD photos. We just had to share. 

Here's what our photographer says:

2020 GM HD Chassis Cab Shows New DEF Tank Placement
Our first look a the 2020 GM HD Chassis Cab flatbed gives us a nice peek underneath, giving some new details of the rear suspension set-up, and the positioning of the DEF tank for the Duramax diesel.  The DEF tank on the current Duramax diesels from GM is mounted quite low—and very visibly—on the front passenger side of the frame.  The massive tank’s placement has been oft-criticised by diesel fans, as awkward and ugly.  The DEF tank placement on 2020 HD Diesel trucks has changed—as revealed in our profile shot of the chassis cab prototype.  The new DEF tank now appears to reside close to the DEF additive cap, on the driver’s side behind the rear wall of the regular cab.

2020 GM HD Regular Cab Work Truck
This Regular Cab/Long Box prototype shows the next-gen Chevy HD in its most work-focused form.  The Regular Cab HD prototype, caught in these latest spy shots, gets the long eight-foot bed design, for the most versatile payload possibilities.  GM touted new stamping methods which reportedly increased the usable bed width by 7-inches on the 2019 Chevy Silverado, so it’s likely we’ll see a similar gain in bed capacity on these HD models.  If that’s the case, this gargantuan long-bed option will be even more voluminous, making it ready to handle an even larger work load.

This Regular Cab prototype was gasoline-powered, so we’re likely looking at the 2020 version of what is now powered by a 6.0-liter Vortec V8 engine.  It’s safe to assume that the gas powerplant under this HD’s hood is utilizing new

Dynamic Skip Fire (DSF) technology to enhance the cylinder cut-off performance.  DSF technology finally bowed in some versions of the 2019 Silverado, and it’s a certainty that it will be part of the 2020 HD mpg-enhancing tricks.  

2020 Duramax Crew Cab
Our latest shots of the 2020 HD Duramax Crew Cab—which provide some of our closest, most-detailed look yet at new HD trucks—were caught as the prototype made a lap around the GM Proving Grounds.  A close look at the camouflage on the at the center of the front edge of the hood reveals a mesh panel that will allow air to enter into the Ram Air slot hidden on the hood.  The Ram Air hood scoop was added to GM’s HD trucks in the last update, and they’re said to feed up to 60% of the cooling air required by the engine, increasing horsepower and torque.  The camouflage mesh panel has velcro taps at the front and back, which would clearly allow for the panel to be folded back and secured to allow more air-flow, as testing permits.

The exhaust tips are consistent with prior GM HD diesel trucks, and it looks like we can see evidence of venturi air slits along the initial span of the exhaust pipe.

The new shots give us our best look yet the massive grille that appears to be in store for GM’s next-gen HD trucks.  

A deep dive into the specs of the recently-unveiled 2019 Silverado 1500 revealed some of the tricks that are also likely destined for the HD truck.  The camouflage hides any evidence of Silverado 1500’s innovative front fascia aerodynamic air curtains, but that’s not surprising, since that design revelation made it all the way to its debut without being leaked.  Expect the same stamping, and packaging innovations that debuted on the 2019 models to translate to the HD models, for increased bed space and cabin space.  It’s clear from these prototypes that GM’s next-gen HD pickups will be massive beasts to match the Ford Super Duty.

2020 GM HD 3500 Dually Crew Cab
We’ve included our earlier shots of the HD Dually prototype that originally signaled the start of testing for GM’s 2020 HD pickups.  The Crew Cab Dually is a massive thing, impressive in size, and amplified by what appears to be a more larger grille destined for GM's next-gen HD trucks.

The prototype’s caught here appear to the Chevy Silverado HD variants, with judging by the horizontal nature of the placeholder LED signatures that are in visible through the frontal camouflage.

2020_SilveradoHD_SpyShots01.jpg

2020_SilveradoHD_SpyShots02.jpg

2020_SilveradoHD_SpyShots03.jpg

2020_SilveradoHD_SpyShots04.jpg

2020_SilveradoHD_SpyShots05.jpg

2020_SilveradoHD_SpyShots06.jpg

2020_SilveradoHD_SpyShots07.jpg

2020_SilveradoHD_SpyShots08.jpg

2020_SilveradoHD_SpyShots09.jpg

2020_SilveradoHD_SpyShots10.jpg

2020_SilveradoHD_SpyShots11.jpg

2020_SilveradoHD_SpyShots12.jpg

2020_SilveradoHD_SpyShots13.jpg

2020_SilveradoHD_SpyShots14.jpg

2020_SilveradoHD_SpyShots15.jpg

2020_SilveradoHD_SpyShots16.jpg

2020_SilveradoHD_SpyShots17.jpg

2020_SilveradoHD_SpyShots18.jpg

2020_SilveradoHD_SpyShots19.jpg

2020_SilveradoHD_SpyShots20.jpg

2020_SilveradoHD_SpyShots21.jpg

2020_SilveradoHD_SpyShots22.jpg

2020_SilveradoHD_SpyShots23.jpg

2020_SilveradoHD_SpyShots24.jpg

2020_SilveradoHD_SpyShots25.jpg

2020_SilveradoHD_SpyShots26.jpg

2020_SilveradoHD_SpyShots27.jpg

2020_SilveradoHD_SpyShots28.jpg

2020_SilveradoHD_SpyShots29.jpg

2020_SilveradoHD_SpyShots30.jpg

2020_SilveradoHD_SpyShots31.jpg

2020_SilveradoHD_SpyShots32.jpg

2020_SilveradoHD_SpyShots33.jpg

2020_SilveradoHD_SpyShots34.jpg

2020_SilveradoHD_SpyShots35.jpg

2020_SilveradoHD_SpyShots36.jpg

2020_SilveradoHD_SpyShots37.jpg

2020_SilveradoHD_SpyShots38.jpg

2020_SilveradoHD_SpyShots39.jpg

2020_SilveradoHD_SpyShots40.jpg

2020_SilveradoHD_SpyShots41.jpg

2020_SilveradoHD_SpyShots42.jpg

2020_SilveradoHD_SpyShots43.jpg

2020_SilveradoHD_SpyShots44.jpg

2020_SilveradoHD_SpyShots45.jpg

2020_SilveradoHD_SpyShots46.jpg

• Zane changed the title to 2020 Chevy Silverado HD Spy Shot MEGA THREAD

Welp...found my next truck...good golly miss molly I'm drooling over that RCLB.  And the new tow mirrors fantastic, and those wheels... :drool::drool::drool::drool:

Frame seems higher up, and slightly different than the current one?  Either the body is longer downwards, or they made some frame changes...

Full unveil can't come soon enough...

Thank the dear sweet Lord that they finally moved that gawd-awful DEF tank. To call it an eyesore on my 18 is an absolute understatement. 

It looks like they've gained quite a bit of ground clearance. New frame most likely, the current frame has been around since 2011. 

13 hours ago, bkesting said:

I love these kind of writeups.  Always curious, how are these photos obtained?  Got a sneaky spy like setup going on?  :)

So do we!

We contract with a photographer that is well known in the industry for chasing prototypes and pay for the ability to post what he captures here. How he does his work is a closely held secret. 

4 hours ago, Zane said:

So do we!

We contract with a photographer that is well known in the industry for chasing prototypes and pay for the ability to post what he captures here. How he does his work is a closely held secret. 

That's pretty awesome

4 hours ago, dirtfan21 said:

I'm sorry, I can't stand the way the mirrors attach to the door... It just looks so awkward to me.

Me too! I thought it was just me. When those get extended out they’re gonna look like a dodge. Ugly. But probably won’t stop me from buying one?

2 hours ago, Junkyard33 said:

Is it me, or do the mirrors look like they fold down like the Dodge mirrors do? Something funky looking to me on the arm they mount to.

If they do...they still look to be the same size as the current tow mirrors, so they will be much bigger still than the Ram ones. 

On 3/16/2018 at 4:51 PM, bkesting said:

I love these kind of writeups.  Always curious, how are these photos obtained?  Got a sneaky spy like setup going on?  :)

Go up to Kap' in northern Ontario where GM has had their Cold Weather Centre. Lots of GM vehicles rolling around Hwy 11.

(scroll down to 2nd page).

Saw a smaller SUV & Impala sized sedan all camoed up as well.

Archived