Why/what/will you upgrade to the 2019?

On 3/17/2018 at 3:55 AM, texasaggies16 said:

I personally will not dig a grave of debt anytime soon for one.. but i'm curious to see how many K2's will get traded to keep up with "new truck" fad.

:lurk:

I know lots of people that buy new on a time cycle.

Some every year.

Some every 2 years.

And the 'as soon as the warranty runs out' crowd.

And so on.

And some that run 7 or 8 years , than add a new one but keep running the 'beater' as well.

6 minutes ago, redwngr said:

And some that run 7 or 8 years , than add a new one but keep running the 'beater' as well.

Funny you mention that. I do 10 to 15 years and buy something 5 years old with like 20K on the clock and repeat. I wouldn't have bought the one I got if it were not for the fact I bought it nearly new (@ 1300 miles) for about sixty cents on the dollar.  One other with 125 miles on it pre owned I traded for this truck like a month after I bought it.  Technically I've bought only 2 new cars in 64+ years of life. Both of those well below book. One a good car the markets didn't treat kindly. 76 Ford Granada 351W during the gas crunch of the 70's. 50 cents on the dollar.  The other likely the best car I've ever owned. 98 Honda Civic HX. Last year Honda built a top shelf car IMO. Bought at dealer cost end of season. I had the dealers floor plan in hand for that one. 

The 'gap' between the buy price and the insured price I find distasteful. It's is literally lighting fire to cash. If that were not bad enough on it's own then there is this 'I don't care' attitude from cradle to grave in the market place. Manufacture doesn't care to build or back the car. The dealership doesn't care how many lies it's caught in only about how little it can get away with. The sales staff don't care to back their word or their deeds. The public doesn't care about the car/truck during ownership. If it crippled they pawn it off. The law doesn't care about justice only about point of law. The insurance company could care less if the deal is fair at any point in their relationship.

So....why would I care to buy something that I know for a fact is a greater gamble and more certain money looser that betting on a blind 10 year old Philly in the Kentucky Derby? I don't buy the truck. I buy the deal.

This T1XX got no game and no name. A true clean sheet $$$$ looser for the buyer. Whew!!! Take a breath. LOL>   

• Like 1

I am looking find a leftover 2018 K2000.  The last truck I got was a '13 GMT900 in August or September when the K2000 came out.  I got a very good price on a lot of truck.  Although, I may not find what I want so maybe the T1 will be next.  I would like a 1500 LTZ crew, standard, towing package, white, cocoa/dune.  We will see what happens.  I really would like a lot of the new features, but money talks.  I put 30k a year on a truck, so I like to keep mine five years of less.

Edited by teyaroch

14 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Funny you mention that. I do 10 to 15 years and buy something 5 years old with like 20K on the clock and repeat. I wouldn't have bought the one I got if it were not for the fact I bought it nearly new (@ 1300 miles) for about sixty cents on the dollar.  One other with 125 miles on it pre owned I traded for this truck like a month after I bought it.  Technically I've bought only 2 new cars in 64+ years of life. Both of those well below book. One a good car the markets didn't treat kindly. 76 Ford Granada 351W during the gas crunch of the 70's. 50 cents on the dollar.  The other likely the best car I've ever owned. 98 Honda Civic HX. Last year Honda built a top shelf car IMO. Bought at dealer cost end of season. I had the dealers floor plan in hand for that one. 

The 'gap' between the buy price and the insured price I find distasteful. It's is literally lighting fire to cash. If that were not bad enough on it's own then there is this 'I don't care' attitude from cradle to grave in the market place. Manufacture doesn't care to build or back the car. The dealership doesn't care how many lies it's caught in only about how little it can get away with. The sales staff don't care to back their word or their deeds. The public doesn't care about the car/truck during ownership. If it crippled they pawn it off. The law doesn't care about justice only about point of law. The insurance company could care less if the deal is fair at any point in their relationship.

So....why would I care to buy something that I know for a fact is a greater gamble and more certain money looser that betting on a blind 10 year old Philly in the Kentucky Derby? I don't buy the truck. I buy the deal.

This T1XX got no game and no name. A true clean sheet $$$$ looser for the buyer. Whew!!! Take a breath. LOL>   

I wanted a Granada but ended up with a demo '78 Fairmont with a 302.  I recall being upset by the heavy use of plastics and the overwhelming complexities under the hood after coming from a series of 50’s to 70’s cars and trucks. .  It was also my first new and "unleaded fuel only" vehicle.  I thought at the time that vehicles had become too complex, cheaply built and would never hold up.   That car proved me wrong.  Since that time, I’ve watched automobiles progress/change and I don’t second guess the manufacturer’s motives.  They strive to produce a product that will sell to the greatest number of consumers while maximizing profit and adhering to government safety/environmental regulations.  Cars and trucks have improved steadily in efficiency and quality.  I get excited when I see an older vehicle with an all metal dash with some padding on top but I also recall the breakdowns and frequent stops for gas, oil and topping off the radiator!  I am always excited to see the new cars and trucks roll out and next year will be no exception.  My only reason for not wanting a new generation GM truck will be money, or more specifically,  my lack of it!

Two things help me here.

My wife gets the next new one and I’m super leery of first model years.  

Then theres the debt thing OP mentions...

Same here but she doesn’t want a new vehicle so she gets skipped (twice as I just bought a new car in January lol)

Ryan B.

23 minutes ago, Donstar said:

I wanted a Granada but ended up with a demo '78 Fairmont with a 302.  I recall being upset by the heavy use of plastics and the overwhelming complexities under the hood after coming from a series of 50’s to 70’s cars and trucks. .  It was also my first new and "unleaded fuel only" vehicle.  I thought at the time that vehicles had become too complex, cheaply built and would never hold up.   That car proved me wrong.  Since that time, I’ve watched automobiles progress/change and I don’t second guess the manufacturer’s motives.  They strive to produce a product that will sell to the greatest number of consumers while maximizing profit and adhering to government safety/environmental regulations.  Cars and trucks have improved steadily in efficiency and quality.  I get excited when I see an older vehicle with an all metal dash with some padding on top but I also recall the breakdowns and frequent stops for gas, oil and topping off the radiator!  I am always excited to see the new cars and trucks roll out and next year will be no exception.  My only reason for not wanting a new generation GM truck will be money, or more specifically,  my lack of it!

Agree.

Vehicles, a must have but the worst investment.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, diyer2 said:

Agree.

Vehicles, a must have but the worst investment.

They are not an investment, but a luxury. An investment is intended to make money. no one purchases a new vehicle with the intent of making money. The amount you are willing to lose is the only question.

I've never moved on from a vehicle with less than 100k miles on it. My average length of ownership is probably 7+ years. And this truck is my first "new" purchase. I intend to keep it for at least 10 years. I mostly use it on the weekends to do truck stuff. I work from home about half the time, so when I have to put miles on for work/commuting I rack em up on my beater. I purchased that used for $9,000 and have since put on 140,000 miles on it. The next vehicle I purchase will be another beater in the $10k range. My wife has a newish Terrain that we found used with 9,000 miles on it. She can keep that a few more years as well.

• Like 1

Some trade solely based on their warranty running out and worry about paying for repair . I look at it if you trade every 3 years that big hit you take on depreciation the minute you drive off the lot new will cover a lot of repairs to say nothing about the second year hit of depreciation.

I'm looking to get a crew cab 6.6ft box LT Trail boss 5.3L with heated leather bucket seats, sunroof, navigation and the convince package.... If I can get this for a fair price, I will be buying early this fall. If not it be probably this time next year when some real good promotions are being offered

How do you know the options available on that trim? Has it been published? If so share a link I love the look of the trailboss but want the amenities of a High Country or Denali.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am planing on ordering one shortly after they are released. For the first time in my life I am looking at Ford and Dodge as well. Been a Chevy guy since before I could drive. Have owned hundreds of them and never thought I would by anything else. The cost of a RCSB and the lack of option for them has lead me to look at others. Both Ford and Dodge have equal or more options and both are about $7,000 less for the options I want. GM is really letting me down. I loved my 2015 RCSB, I only sold it to get a Z28. Its much easier to find a truck then a Z28. 

Im actually going to test drive the Dodge.... OMG.... I cannot believe I typed that. :( 

• Like 1

Never buy a first MY. I went against my own advice and scooped a beater 2014 and it is honestly terrible. My 2015 doesn't have any of the same issues. I wont be buying a new one until at least MY 2020/21. My 2010 SLT AT was stickered at $53,900, 2015 SLT AT was stickered at $66,500 (24% difference, slightly better spec), 2021 SLT AT $82,800? Hope not. 

• Like 1

I will not be buying a T1. My next truck will be a stripped down ¾ ton, probably slightly used. 

Will it be another GM? Meh, I don't know. Will it be a Dodge? Maybe. Will it be a Ford? I think beer cans should be drank out of, not driven. If only my old 96 Dodge's frame wasn't so rotted out, she'd still be on the road...so sad.:nopity: