Why/what/will you upgrade to the 2019?

I have a 27 year old Chevy truck, a 18 year old Intagra, a 13 year old Elantra, a 7 year old Genesis, they could pass as 2 year old vehicles. My trip car is a 17 Camry LE I paid 17K for new. The point, care and feeding makes the old stuff last, careful buying provides nice new rides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a first year 1999 gmt800. It has been the most reliable and awesome vehicle that I have ever owned. Some trim pieces are cheap and window regulators are a maintenance item. But for what makes a truck a truck it is excellent.

Having said that I won’t be eyeing up the next gen Silverado or Sierra, unfortunately.

Sent from device. Excuse errors.

10 minutes ago, nowicksl said:

I have a first year 1999 gmt800. It has been the most reliable and awesome vehicle that I have ever owned. Some trim pieces are cheap and window regulators are a maintenance item. But for what makes a truck a truck it is excellent.

Having said that I won’t be eyeing up the next gen Silverado or Sierra, unfortunately.

Sent from device. Excuse errors.

I totally agree. For me the fuel pump and turn stalk have been maintenance items, but that was probably because they were cheapies, last set was OEM.  I've only done one of the window regulators. I love my 99.

I might consider selling/trading the 2015 All Terrain in late 2020 or early 2021.  Want to enjoy at least 6 months or more without a truck payment.  Then I will seriously consider a Sierra AT4 6.2 in blue, red, white or burgandy depending on what colors are available.   If my personal life remains status quo, might buy a Double Cab if available just to save a bit of money.  Otherwise it will be another Crew Cab shortbed.

Edited by Lgetz
Added punctuation

Well I put 55k on mine in a year pretty easily and with me being 1099 I break even on it if I'll just depreciate my truck and get a new one every few years. Out of college I just bought an older diesel and thought I'd take care of it and keep it for a long time, but with some advising they told me I could either spend my money or I could let Uncle Same spend it, one way or the other I wasn't keeping it in the bank so I went and got a new one.

We will be in the market for a new (or newer) vehicle in the next one to two years.  We really like the looks of the new Silverado, however coming from an Avalanche we are used to more flexibility and storage options.  If there are legitimate solutions available at the time we need a vehicle, we will definately look at the Silverado.  However, being that we will be keeping the Avalanche (my twins turn 16 in 3 years...their first car), we don't really need another truck at this point so we may go the SUV/Crossover route.  But with the current trend of new car prices, it is looking more and more like we will be going with something used.

Edited by woyster_00z71

Technology wise, I'd like to upgrade just to see the differences. However, being that I have projects in the works and planned for my current truck, I won't be looking until this ones all paid off.

A lot of my decision will based on the pricing.   I would like to have a new High Country but won't be interested if they jack the prices way up.  Besides my '16 has most of the options of High Country, including the moonroof, and it's paid for.  No reason to pay a lot more just to have the latest and greatest.  I am anxious to actually see one in person. 

On 3/20/2018 at 8:29 AM, Donstar said:

Well said, Tyler.  Truck (and cars) have improved significantly over the years.  If people want to keep buying their beloved V8's then they should embrace technology.  I've owned V8 pickups from the previous 5 decades and the steady improvement in efficiency and reliability is outstanding. The new "Skipfire crap and start stop junk"  is brilliant and the only way I'd consider a future V8.  In this day and age having all cylinders firing at all times is  nothing to brag about.  Having them available when needed is the new boast worthy attribute for us truck lovers!  Welcome change. This is a good thing!  

I agree and the skipfire is a big improvement over the present gen. The ability to alternate so that the same cylinders don’t shut down each time is a big improvement.  We have more power and more torque with smaller engines.

Unfortunately the EPA has changed the industry to the point that if anything goes wrong we are so screwed!

On 3/22/2018 at 11:23 AM, aseibel said:

They are not an investment, but a luxury. An investment is intended to make money. no one purchases a new vehicle with the intent of making money. The amount you are willing to lose is the only question.

I've never moved on from a vehicle with less than 100k miles on it. My average length of ownership is probably 7+ years. And this truck is my first "new" purchase. I intend to keep it for at least 10 years. I mostly use it on the weekends to do truck stuff. I work from home about half the time, so when I have to put miles on for work/commuting I rack em up on my beater. I purchased that used for $9,000 and have since put on 140,000 miles on it. The next vehicle I purchase will be another beater in the $10k range. My wife has a newish Terrain that we found used with 9,000 miles on it. She can keep that a few more years as well.

It always makes me chuckle when I hear people use the word investment and a vehicle in the same breath... Constantly deprecating assets cannot be investments lol...

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 9:44 AM, Donstar said:

I wanted a Granada but ended up with a demo '78 Fairmont with a 302.  I recall being upset by the heavy use of plastics and the overwhelming complexities under the hood after coming from a series of 50’s to 70’s cars and trucks. .  It was also my first new and "unleaded fuel only" vehicle.  I thought at the time that vehicles had become too complex, cheaply built and would never hold up.   That car proved me wrong.  Since that time, I’ve watched automobiles progress/change and I don’t second guess the manufacturer’s motives.  They strive to produce a product that will sell to the greatest number of consumers while maximizing profit and adhering to government safety/environmental regulations.  Cars and trucks have improved steadily in efficiency and quality.  I get excited when I see an older vehicle with an all metal dash with some padding on top but I also recall the breakdowns and frequent stops for gas, oil and topping off the radiator!  I am always excited to see the new cars and trucks roll out and next year will be no exception.  My only reason for not wanting a new generation GM truck will be money, or more specifically,  my lack of it!

I bought the Granada. 351W. Was my first new car and the last new Ford ever bought. Had a rust hole in it you could pitch a soccer ball threw in under six months. After the FMC Rustproofing. Every piece of plastic was broke and many replaced Ford recalls. Gas doors were a major Ford SNAFU. Pop rivet's in my new Ford? Finally I was told that I could sue them if I thought I could out gun FMC.

Out gun? Nope. Out last, oh yea. I was a young man just making his way. Four brothers, six children and fourteen grandchildren. Twelve niece and nephew and their children.  Cousins and Uncles galore. Not a single new Ford sold to any of them and it WAS a Ford crowd. Hasn't been for 40 years now.

I'm patient. The car after about six years of service caught fire burnt to the ground. I don't remember the plastic to be any less of a bother than my string of 65/66 Customs and Mustangs. Old Iron was just as reliable as anything today IF taken care off properly. Something no one seems to fancy or include in their tales of woe. NO, no-no-no-no. NO T1XX. 

50K for a disposable truck indeed? And do this ever five year product cycle? Nope! :loser:

I hate buying something I really, REALLY  like and having it made unavailable to me later. Like Levi 517 boot cut in full weight denim. FE Ford motors. I hate having less being shoved down my throat as 'more' when the only thing it is more of is less. 

Edited by Grumpy Bear
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

I bought the Granada. 351W. Was my first new car and the last new Ford ever bought. Had a rust hole in it you could pitch a soccer ball threw in under six months. After the FMC Rustproofing. Every piece of plastic was broke and many replaced Ford recalls. Gas doors were a major Ford SNAFU. Pop rivet's in my new Ford? Finally I was told that I could sue them if I thought I could out gun FMC.

Out gun? Nope. Out last, oh yea. I was a young man just making his way. Four brothers, six children and fourteen grandchildren. Twelve niece and nephew and their children.  Cousins and Uncles galore. Not a single new Ford sold to any of them and it WAS a Ford crowd. Hasn't been for 40 years now.

I'm patient. The car after about six years of service caught fire burnt to the ground. I don't remember the plastic to be any less of a bother than my string of 65/66 Customs and Mustangs. Old Iron was just as reliable as anything today IF taken care off properly. Something no one seems to fancy or include in their tales of woe. NO, no-no-no-no. NO T1XX. 

50K for a disposable truck indeed? And do this ever five year product cycle? Nope! :loser:

I hate buying something I really, REALLY  like and having it made unavailable to me later. Like Levi 517 boot cut in full weight denim. FE Ford motors. I hate having less being shoved down my throat as 'more' when the only thing it is more of is less. 

You lost me at the end but I followed your Ford story.  My attachment to Ford trucks lasted until their F150 design change in the late 90's.  When they got back to a more appealing look, their engine choices kept me away.  (My worst rust story would involve my '76 Sierra Grande!)  I suspect purchasing your Granada in '76 was more of a struggle for you than it would be to purchase a new truck today at today's prices.  I know the sacrifices we had to make to finance our '78 Fairmont go beyond anything I'd need to or consider today!  I often see vehicles on the road similar to the ones I once owned decades ago.  I try to imagine how things would be different if I kept and maintained that vehicle.  I think I'm going to cater to this curiosity and skip the next couple of design changes!

I will be getting the '19 Trail Boss crew cab with the 6.2 in about a year.  Leather seats for sure and hopefully they offer a sunroof, unlike the current LTs.

If they bring back green, that is what I will get.  If not, white it is.

I will be interested to see what the Sierra AT will look like with 20's and what colors they will offer.

Waiting to see what the Duramax looks like in both the Sierra and Silverado before I decide on my next move. Plan is to get one in an LTZ or SLT trim level, hoping they offer color matched options like the current LTZ midnight edition. Will be running a similar setup to now (6” lift, 37s this time instead of 35s, throw the AMP steps on, custom sound system, hard retractable or folding cover, etc).

Will likely buy all new aftermarket and sell my truck as is with current similar mods...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk