Sign in to follow this  
bronyaur

NV3500 Transmission

I recently inherited a 2002 Silverado 1500 Standard cab 4.8L 4x4 manual NV3500 transmission.  It has 208k miles on it.  My oldest son is 14 and we plan to restore it so he'll have something to drive when he gets his license.  It drives very nicely.  There's some slop in the front end and I expect it's due a pitman and idler arm, ball joints, and probably tie rod ends.  Aside from that, the only thing that concerns me is shifting from 2nd to 3rd.  It's really hard to find 3rd gear, and when I do it takes a little force to get it in there.  Downshifting from 4th to 3rd is smooth.  Any ideas as to the cause and fix?

I recently inherited a 2002 Silverado 1500 Standard cab 4.8L 4x4 manual NV3500 transmission.  It has 208k miles on it.  My oldest son is 14 and we plan to restore it so he'll have something to drive when he gets his license.  It drives very nicely.  There's some slop in the front end and I expect it's due a pitman and idler arm, ball joints, and probably tie rod ends.  Aside from that, the only thing that concerns me is shifting from 2nd to 3rd.  It's really hard to find 3rd gear, and when I do it takes a little force to get it in there.  Downshifting from 4th to 3rd is smooth.  Any ideas as to the cause and fix?
Change the transmission fluid to start...make sure you use the right fluid, the NVs didn't all use the same fluid.

The NV is finicky with fluid and the sychronizers...my NV5600 liked Redline MTL which is thin like an ATF (it called for sychromesh). My NV5600 disliked Pennzoil Synchromesh, Royal Purple, and Amsoil's synchromesh...it shifted hard or "sticky" with any of those. So you may need to try various brands of the correct fluid to find one that works.

My father's NV4500 was the same way...fluid would make or break the quality of shifting...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, rjgti said:

shifter bushings

I did a little research and see people talking about a plastic cup that fits in the end of the shifter.  Is this what you're referring to?

Hmm, one gear, and in one direction...

I give up...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Sky Blakeman
      Well, I was just reading an article/post about push button 4wd. I was thinking I was pretty smart for getting the manual shift transfer case. I should have paid more attention to the poster who said auto locking hubs are still a week point. 

Now we are stuck on the side of the road waiting for a tow truck. The hubs went from squeal to grind in about 20-30 miles on the way back from Glacier National Park, an easy fix if I was home. 

So this is just a heads up if you're close to 150k miles & curious, auto locking hubs cost about a grand to replace. Manual conversion kits can be had for under $2k.
      Wish I had done more PM.

• By LojanTheGreat121
      Howdy! New to the forum, not sure if I’m doing this right. Anyhow, I’d like to install true duals with an X pipe on my Silverado. It’s a 2002 1500 Extended cab with the 5.3L. Is there a bolt on exhaust system like the one I’m looking for, or would I need to have it custom built and fit at a shop? If I need to have it built, is there a good exhaust shop in Western Kentucky you could recommend? Thank you!
    • By MorrisGray
      I was hoping some of you might give me your thoughts and recommendations for which plugs to buy... ?
      I have a 2002 Silverado 5.3L v-8 Vin code T

The manual list Denso PTJ14R15
      and NGK PZTR5A15 AND the manual list a .060"gap.
      When I go to local auto parts websites there is no help for these part numbers and I am unsure of what plug and what plug gap I should use. I currently have a misfiring truck that runs like crap. Looking to replace the plugs, and possibly all of the coils, maybe the spark plug wires. My truck sits for months at a time unused but did run good before all this happened. Initially I thought it was bad ethanol gas from sitting unused but have used a lot of SeaFoam and have run through three tanks of pure gas. When I discovered possible coil failure could be the problem I started reading about issues that could cause the misfiring. Plugs are relatively cheap and I thought maybe I would replace them anyway and if that doesn't fix the problem take it to a shop for evaluation. I am not equipped with any specialty tools or knowledge to know much about what I am doing. I can change plugs if my standard sockets and wrenches will fit in the tight spaces and I can plug in new parts but don't want to buy parts I don't need either. My truck only has 70k miles on it. I have a friend coming over with a code reader to see what it might show but I don't believe it will tell you exactly what part to replace, just what the general symptom is and possibly which cylinders are misfiring. Could be fuel injectors too?

Someone who tuned my truck years ago put in Denso TT16 plugs or something like TT but definitely 16 was the number. 
      I do have long tube headers and a cold air intake but no power mods on the engine otherwise.

Any and all help or suggestions are welcomed. And thanks in advance for any assistance.
    • By bearded_warrior
      Hello, 

Has anyone else experienced any shifting issues on their 2019's? The big one I seem to get a hard shift point around 2-4k RPM coming off a stop under light gradual acceleration shifting from 1st to 2nd gear. It's fairly random but seems to be more common after the transmission heats up 150-160 degrees or more, though it'll happen cooler too. The other is when feathering the throttle in traffic the downshifting seems a little harder than it should be, not as hard as the upshift and it doesn't clunk like my old 16' but it's a feeling like driving over a small bump occasionally but it's happened enough while watching the RPM needle shift to think it's not just the coincidence of running over a little bump. Typically during low traffic speeds < 30mph. 

All in all, the transmission is a vast improvement and is way smother compared to my clunky 2016 5.3L 6 speed Z71 which I traded in with 35k miles after valve sticking issues and a transmission rebuild replaced a fair bit of the transmission (torque converter, valve body, transmission pump).  

I cant tell if i'm just sensitive to the transmission or if I have something worth pursuing, service department says to give it 1500/2000 miles while the truck is "learning" as mentioned in other threads, I currently have just shy of 1100.  After that I dread the "normal behavior" discussion. 

Overall it's a great truck, really smooth overall and a beast on the open road, in fact it's so smooth most of the time I think it might make the slow speed hiccups seem worse than they are.  It's just a concern knowing that if it starts shifting issues at 500 miles, what's it gonna be doing at 20k miles etc.. 

Thanks everyone for reading! What's your experience?

2019 Silverado 5.3 V8, 4x4, Z71, RST 
    • By Jack D
      How many 2019 GM truck owners following this forum have actually read their manuals? Not just a section here or there, but the entire manual? 

I am wondering this because I have been following the new generation of GM trucks since the first announcements were made. I read many rave reviews, and watched all the online reviews and comparisons on the new trucks prior to placing an order during the 1st week of December. As time passed, and the new trucks were rolling out of the dealership doors in large numbers, more & more "issues/problems" started to pop up in the forums. 

These trucks are sophisticated well beyond any previous generations. The systems in my loaded '15 Camaro SS pale in comparison to what's in these new trucks. Our '19 LTZ CC with 6.2, 10-speed, Max Towing, Performance Upgrade, and Trailering Camera packages is due in this week, but I downloaded an owners manual from the Chevrolet website so that I could start to familiarize myself with how everything worked. The Chevy & GMC websites also have many instructional videos that show you just how everything works, and how different systems integrate with each other.

Much to my surprise, at least 2/3rds of the forum complaints with the new truck can be attributed to owners being unfamiliar with systems and settings. In many cases, the owner has a choice of what systems they want operational, and several choices of how they want them to function. Many of the ERROR messages were simply due to owners not following the instructions in the OM. What made things even worse was their dealer being just as unfamiliar, trying to troubleshoot a "problem" that wasn't a problem, just simply operational ignorance on the part of the owner and their dealership. Maybe GM should have stepped up their dealer training, and dealerships should step up their customer training. One dealer near us holds monthly new vehicle training sessions.

The new trucks have also had their share of genuine issues, but a thorough understanding of the manual may have helped some of those owners to better understand how each system is supposed to operate, which may help the dealer troubleshoot the problem. These trucks are much closer to the Jetsons than the Flintstones.
      BEST OF LUCK WITH YOU NEW TRUCKS!