Tore apart my headlights and smoked all lenses

Finally cracked open my headlights on my 2016 Silverado Z71. The first one took forever to figure out, but the second one was much easier. Baked them at 240 degrees for 20 min the first time then each additional time 240 degrees for 10 min until I was able to crack the entire seal. Once they were apart, it was pretty straight forward. Applied 2 coats of VHT nightshade to everything and sealed back up with silicone. I applied a generous bead where the original seal was and put back together then baked for 240 degrees for 10 min to help cure. Once put back together I put another bead of silicone on the outside of the housing to ensure a tight seal. Washed my truck 2 days later and got rained on last night, no leaks!

IMG_0215.JPG

IMG_0222.JPG

IMG_0226.JPG

IMG_0228.JPG

IMG_0232.JPG

IMG_0235.jpg

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WHY? Headlights too bright? Seems the theme around here is headlights can't be bright enough. Oh, I know. Now you will add a light bar.

7 minutes ago, tbarn said:

WHY? Headlights too bright? Seems the theme around here is headlights can't be bright enough. Oh, I know. Now you will add a light bar.

The exterior lense is still clear so the actual headlights are the same brightness. I only smoked the interior lenses for the turn signals, corner markers, and driving lights.

How hard are they to take apart? I've very much been looking at the LTZ headlights, but they're something like $900 each new from GM. I mainly want to paint the trim but I quite dislike the amber lense on the bottom as well. 

I'm not really a fan of the TOTAL blackout look, but the headlights look great. Nice work!

1 hour ago, Ashleyfox118 said:

How hard are they to take apart? I've very much been looking at the LTZ headlights, but they're something like $900 each new from GM. I mainly want to paint the trim but I quite dislike the amber lense on the bottom as well. 

I'm not really a fan of the TOTAL blackout look, but the headlights look great. Nice work!

Cracking the first one open was a pain... but once I figured it out, the second one was much easier. I baked them at 240 degrees for 15 min... pried on the seal until it stopped coming loose then put back in the oven at 240 for 10 min each time. The first one took 5-6 times baking, second light only took 3 or 4 times. Just use a screwdriver or something to get in and pry apart that black seal. Let me know if you have any questions. I enjoyed working on them, might do my brothers next. 

4 minutes ago, Kubs said:

Looks cool. Any pictures with the lights on?

I'm adjusting my headlights tonight, so I'll try to get some just before dark. I went way too dark on my fogs, so they're basically useless now.. but they look cool :lol:

I only use the fogs for close up peripheral light anyway, they're not super useful for dark roads. I also use them for "technical headlights" in the rain. I put the park lights on and use them, I figure LEDs last longer than HID bulbs? I might be wrong on that..

Yea I'd love to see what that looks like at night! 

See, theres this company that makes cleared out light parts

http://klearz.com/2016_silverado_headlight_markers

But you have to do what you did with yours to install them. I've been hesitant cos of how expensive these are if I goof. 

11 minutes ago, Ashleyfox118 said:

I only use the fogs for close up peripheral light anyway, they're not super useful for dark roads. I also use them for "technical headlights" in the rain. I put the park lights on and use them, I figure LEDs last longer than HID bulbs? I might be wrong on that..

Yea I'd love to see what that looks like at night! 

See, theres this company that makes cleared out light parts

http://klearz.com/2016_silverado_headlight_markers

But you have to do what you did with yours to install them. I've been hesitant cos of how expensive these are if I goof. 

Ya I saw those from Klearz too. But I went with a $5 can of Nightshades instead of $200 on the Klearz. If you do tackle it, just make sure you have a full day and don't rush it. Once you get the seal cracked it goes pretty smooth. My biggest fear was getting them re-sealed with no condensation. Used silicone in the original seal and on the outside once put back together. Baked them at 240 for 10 min once put back together. Hit with a pressure washer 2 days later and rained/snowed 3 days later.. no leaks :cool:

Granted they look really cool... I hope you guys know that they are illegal in most states. There is usually a state requirement for a reflective material and must be amber in color, not just the light bulb (you can use 3m replective tape, but who wants to do that..?)

14 minutes ago, a_salazar08 said:

Granted they look really cool... I hope you guys know that they are illegal in most states. There is usually a state requirement for a reflective material and must be amber in color, not just the light bulb (you can use 3m replective tape, but who wants to do that..?)

The nice thing about living in a big city is they have better things to do than look for illegal marker lights.

Archived