Needs to know for Afm Delete

8 hours ago, crushNchowda said:

AFM delete - I thought you meant actually getting rid of that crap hardware & replacing entirely new lifters/valves/springs/rockers/pushrods/cam - in which case you should probably start by speaking w/ a performance shop specializing in GM vehicles like Livernois Motorsports for instance.

There are off the shelf "DOD/AFM Delete kits" out there w/ everything you'd need.

My '15 Sierra 6.2 has already dropped a couple lifters & needed replacement + fuel rail for some reason. Didn't wipe my cam out b/c I noticed it well ahead of time. Since I have a '15 w/ 100k warranty I'd let them go & replace 'em again since I'm @ 61k miles....but if I start having issues again & I'm out of warranty or close to it if the rest of the truck is holding up fine (which seems to be the case) then I'll swap mine out too - knock a few birds out w/ a single stone. Get rid of the AFM, improve the longevity of the engine w/ some preventative maintenance of wear parts, increased performance/power, better sound. 

I do think tuning it off permanently helps w/ lognevity - you're asking the dod lifters to do less work & I also feel like there could be increased chance of carbon buildup on those as well if you're the type to set cruise control for long distances & live in a relatively flat state if you know what I mean. For real world reference on my G8 GT I had it tuned out along w/ complete custom tranny/engine tune then ended up yanking the AFM stuff entirely but it did last 90k while being turned off, meanwhile my '15 Sierra that is bone stock w/ "upgraded" latest & greatest GM AFM technology couldn't hit 40k before dropping/sticking valves....take that FWIW

Lastly...if it were my $$$ I Wouldn't waste it on a range device, I'd pay a little more & get a handheld tuner OR better yet a more customized mail order tune from someplace like Black Bear OR even better a truly custom dyno tune by a reputable local shop. They can always flash back to stock should you have an issue....& to be honest for the most part the issues you're going to have w/ drivetrain on these trucks seem to concern the AFM hardware more than anything......only warranty items I'd be concerned w/ would be the torque converter....which I'm on the fence as to whether its really the culprit in the shifting issues...but I'd happily swap it out for a higher stall heavier duty aftermarket unit & also the driveshaft, which if you decide to run @ drag strip or tune out governor & routinely run the truck up over 100mph then I would consider replacing it or anticipating an issue

I get what you’re saying and I just got to 3000 miles on the ODO...90% of my miles are run in L7, I have driven a 320 mile round trip with it in Drive and it switched between V4 & V8 a few times so I’m guessing I have maybe 20 miles max while in V4. Now I would love to have a tuner (especially when I figure out WTH they do and why) but I believe I would have to have a custom mail order/unlocked TCM to really make it right. So with all that said, I still have 57,000 miles under warranty and as I understand, a tune can be returned to stock but it leaves a trail, I am not 100% sure but I think so. The Range will keep AFM OFF, allow me to use the 8th gear, keep me from wearing off the cheap white print on the shifter stock from pushing the +- button and not be discovered by the dealer if I need warranty work. If that’s all true, then $189 shipped is (at least for me) a no brainer and a tune when I hit 60K

Edited by SS502