Forward Collision Alert Issue. No “off” setting.

Got a new 2018 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT Z71 today. I’m very tech savvy, however, perhaps I’m missing something. My truck has the Enhanced Driver Alert package. On my way home, 65 miles from the dealership, I was playing with the lane keep assist and forward collision. I noticed that I could toggle through the alert distances using the forward collision button on my steering wheel, but it would not go “off” like many YouTube videos show. All I get is high-med-low and distances no “off”. Anyone else having this issue?

I have the same package and I was looking for and off setting. After playing around with the head unit I found the settings. There is a place in the settings page on the head unit where you can adjust and or turn off different features. Fortunately there is a off setting for the forward collision alert system. The settings on the steering wheel only change the distance for the alert. To turn it off you must go into the vehicle settings in accessed in the head unit " radio". You can also change and or turn off many other features such as changing from the seat vibration to a tone sound. Man I'm glad I found that one, I hated the vibrating seat.

Edited by Crobinson16

Re: Vibrating seat ------too cheap to modify the existing dash to beep and project a multi LED "heads up" visual alert system on the windshield like in my new Traverse and Malibu instead of that uncomfortable vibrating seat......probably coming in the '19 trucks.

9 hours ago, Crobinson16 said:

I have the same package and I was looking for and off setting. After playing around with the head unit I found the settings. There is a place in the settings page on the head unit where you can adjust and or turn off different features. Fortunately there is a off setting for the forward collision alert system. The settings on the steering wheel only change the distance for the alert. To turn it off you must go into the vehicle settings in accessed in the head unit " radio". You can also change and or turn off many other features such as changing from the seat vibration to a tone sound. Man I'm glad I found that one, I hated the vibrating seat.

Thanks man! That was it! Found some other cool stuff in the settings too.

It is irritating that many have put out videos showing the ability to toggle on/off using that wheel button.

5 hours ago, Thomcat said:

Re: Vibrating seat ------too cheap to modify the existing dash to beep and project a multi LED "heads up" visual alert system on the windshield like in my new Traverse and Malibu instead of that uncomfortable vibrating seat......probably coming in the '19 trucks.

Actually mine does have the HUD, it flashes a red light. It caught me off guard the first time I pulled out to pass. 

lol traction control, stability control, abs, vibrating seats, forward collision, lane departure, automatic braking. Not looking forward to the future personally. Does anyone know how to, or enjoy driving anymore? It's like the Soyboys at the DOT and the government wont be happy until all people are in autonomous electrics playing on their phones 24/7.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Crobinson16 said:

Actually mine does have the HUD, it flashes a red light. It caught me off guard the first time I pulled out to pass. 

More preferable to scare the $hit out of you than shake the $hit of you.......problem with the seat motors is they are still there and affect comfort even if you disconnect the power.

My guess as to why they moved it to a radio setting to turn it off is, too many people were "accidentally" turning it off and rear ending people.  

You'd be surprised how many people blame accident on safety features not working properly, when the driver just doesn't want to take responsibility for not paying attention.  

• Like 1

It will vibrate or beep...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Mine will vibrate the seat, flash a red light on the windshield and ding. I don't mind the vibration, and don't find it uncomfortable at all. Then again, it doesn't go off that often.