GMC Drops Awesome New 2019 Sierra AT4 Premium Off-Roader

Gorehamj

2019-GMC-Sierra-AT4-025.jpg

John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
3-26-2018

GMC launched a new off-road special edition Sierra today. The AT4 comes standard with a 2" lift, standard 4WD with a two-speed transfer case, locking rear differential and skid plates, and off-road-tuned Rancho monotube shock absorbers. Customers can choose between 18-inch wheels with all-terrain tires or mud terrain-rated Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac tires, or available 20-inch wheels with all-terrain tires. We will pause momentarily to let you catch your breath.

2019-GMC-Sierra-AT4-032.jpg

The 5.3-liter V8 is standard, but both the 6.2L V-8 and Duramax 3.0L inline-six turbo-diesel are optional. Hill descent control is just one of the many off-road technologies available, but the AT4 is more than just and off-road capable truck. It has industry first multi-color head up display and rear-view mirror options.

2019-GMC-Sierra-AT4-028.jpg

“The 2019 Sierra AT4 is designed for the customer who wants an elevated presence on the road and the capability to venture off life’s beaten path,” said Duncan Aldred, vice president of Global GMC. “It’s also the beginning for the AT4 brand, which will be seen on every vehicle in our lineup in the next two years.”

2019-GMC-Sierra-AT4-026.jpg

We love the look of the "Black Chrome" accents inside and out. And of course, the AT4 will have the MultiPro tailgate and available carbon fiber CarbonPro box when it becomes available later this year.  

• Like 2

I like it. From the interior pics, it can be had with the ventilated seats, unlike the current AT. Also has the digital gauges like the Denali. Sure looks better without all that chrome.

I wonder what will be exclusive to the Denali now? Just the magnetic ride, power step rails and “real wood trim”?

Edited by 2Speed
  • Like 1

This is really disappointing. GM did such an awesome job with the ZR2 that it's almost shocking this is so far off. My understanding is they are attempting to compete with the Raptor, Rebel and TRD Pro line correct? In which case it's great to see the transfer case upgrade but really weak in terms of appearance and overall story. Would have liked to see more aggressive details on the exterior like front fender, larger fender flares for larger aftermarket tires, better lighting (I know the photo is a denali but the actual truck isn't much different). Interior has a HUD, cool and all but thats it?

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, RyanbabZ71 said:

Why are the tires so small?

I agree. Must be the wheel arch design. The Trailboss looks just right with its same size 33"? Wheels and fender design. 

Will be interesting to see if the suspension is designed differently than the GMT900 / K2XX design. I guessing its very similar since you can add a 2" lift to the current generation without any suspension wear problems.

Couldn't GM at least add the ZR2 DSSV Multimatic shocks? Tuned for full size of course. 

Edited by 2009GMC

Somewhat renewed my interest in GM, but still leaning towards a 2019 Ram with factory Mopar 2-inch lift, 35-inch tires, and factory beadlock wheels.  I like the Trailboss, however, knowing GM you will not be able to get the "luxury" features like leather, heated cooled seats, and full camera system.  

I bet the modified the price the most....  I highly expect them to all be over priced.

It just the current offload package with a lift in reality. Though adding all of the engine choices is nice.

However, I think all three engines should be available in all the truck platforms not just the high price trim levels.

So the off-road package is now a Trim level.

Overall i like it and I am glad they didn't restrict options like the current model does.  It looks like it will have everything you get in an SLT even the cooled seats.  I think it would look better with body color wheel well openings and the black chrome on the door handles and mirror caps.  I think this will be my next truck in about a year or 2.  I hope it will fit 34-35in tire with the suspension as it is.  I am still hoping they do a mid cycle refresh with a new interior to at least come close to how much better the Ram and Ford interiors are.

6.2' bed in a double cab only?  That sucks.  Hopefully it is wrong information.  In my situation, I need a crew cab and want the 6.2' bed.  This release of info little by little sucks.  Just let us know what is going to be already.  It is almost April for heavens sake.

3 hours ago, Penguin VII said:

This is really disappointing. GM did such an awesome job with the ZR2 that it's almost shocking this is so far off. My understanding is they are attempting to compete with the Raptor, Rebel and TRD Pro line correct? In which case it's great to see the transfer case upgrade but really weak in terms of appearance and overall story. Would have liked to see more aggressive details on the exterior like front fender, larger fender flares for larger aftermarket tires, better lighting (I know the photo is a denali but the actual truck isn't much different). Interior has a HUD, cool and all but thats it?

Think they said they are aiming for a price point below a full out Raptor when revealing the Trailboss.