GMC Drops Awesome New 2019 Sierra AT4 Premium Off-Roader

Gorehamj

2 hours ago, gearheadesw said:

Show me a desert racing truck built by Chevy, Tyler. It’s all built by teams. Same with all the Trophy trucks. ZR2 can’t even complete with the Tacoma OR,  never mind the Raptors. Not what I want , have what I want, get off your brand loyalty. Hell, I was sticking up for the work truck looking off roader, just would like to see GM put together a longer travel truck with good tire size

2017-chevrolet-colorado-zr2-hall-racing.thumb.jpg.8735e8a23920d21bab336720cadea44d.jpg

Stock ZR2 that competed in Vegas to Reno 550.

6-700x525.jpg.751fa8088590e121b531e490e5760427.jpg

GM backed 69 C10 that competed in the Baja 1000...

They are out there, just like Ford and Dodge, GM works with race teams to develop vehicles. If you think the Ford developed the Raptor on their own you give them much more credit then I, because I've seen what they built and they can't even master an electrical system.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't particularly like Ford, GMC in the garage. Minimum market for a desert racing truck, or even a very dedicated off road truck. Stock for stock, nothing touches the Raptor in the high speed off road arena. Even in the slow stuff, it has  great clearance to clear most obstacles that stop other stock trucks. Dodge Power Wagon has all kinds of off road credit, both of these trucks don't sell all that many units, so I can see why they don't put a lot of emphasis on these models, but I also don't see why they , GM, wouldn't want something in that segment to compete. Not a real Raptor fan, but there's nothing out there to compete with it.

I used to own, gasp, a Tacoma Off Road, locker rear, posi front, leveled with bigger tires. It went great off road, would go out with groups of vehicles at a time. One time a ZR2 came with along with a couple of Jeeps , stock ZR2, modded Jeeps. While I had a modded truck, apples to oranges, the ZR2 just couldn't get the power to the ground in the sandy conditions that we where in most of the day, and wasn't able to hang with the group. Everything was there, it looked great, but just seemed to tie itself in knots in sand and whoops, and tight tricky stuff. Really wanted that truck to do well, but it just didn't put it to the ground somehow. Now on the 60 mph trails, it blew my Tacoma off the trail. It was able to hang with some very modified long travel trucks , but jumping and landing at those speed was tearing it up. Bumper started to fall off, fuel gage crapped out, just that day. So I don't know how long that could have went on with out throwing some money at it to cope with that pounding.

On 3/30/2018 at 8:07 AM, gearheadesw said:

Show me a desert racing truck built by Chevy, Tyler. It’s all built by teams. Same with all the Trophy trucks. ZR2 can’t even complete with the Tacoma OR,  never mind the Raptors. Not what I want , have what I want, get off your brand loyalty. Hell, I was sticking up for the work truck looking off roader, just would like to see GM put together a longer travel truck with good tire size

Ditto with Ford, they partner with multiple race teams to build and run their trucks. Have you not read of the development or historical articles on their racing and raptor background?

"ZR2 can’t even complete with the Tacoma OR" you lost all credibility with this comment...

" The ZR2's new technology put the TRD Pro in a tough spot here. The 2017 TRD Pro does swap out the previous year's Bilstein setup for a new Fox shock absorber with remote reservoirs in the rear. This new equipment is a big improvement over the old system, but when compared to the ZR2's Multimatic technology, it just couldn't keep up."

I can agree with your last sentence but you sure did come off differently as it was very clear it sounded like you were complaining there wasn't one and wanted one...

On 3/30/2018 at 10:27 AM, Daly said:

2017-chevrolet-colorado-zr2-hall-racing.thumb.jpg.8735e8a23920d21bab336720cadea44d.jpg

Stock ZR2 that competed in Vegas to Reno 550.

6-700x525.jpg.751fa8088590e121b531e490e5760427.jpg

GM backed 69 C10 that competed in the Baja 1000...

They are out there, just like Ford and Dodge, GM works with race teams to develop vehicles. If you think the Ford developed the Raptor on their own you give them much more credit then I, because I've seen what they built and they can't even master an electrical system.

100% this, off road racing is a different game, all manufacturers that dabble in it do so teamed up with other race teams. Toyota is pretty open they team with Ivan Stewart on their off road game.

22 hours ago, gearheadesw said:

I don't particularly like Ford, GMC in the garage. Minimum market for a desert racing truck, or even a very dedicated off road truck. Stock for stock, nothing touches the Raptor in the high speed off road arena. Even in the slow stuff, it has  great clearance to clear most obstacles that stop other stock trucks. Dodge Power Wagon has all kinds of off road credit, both of these trucks don't sell all that many units, so I can see why they don't put a lot of emphasis on these models, but I also don't see why they , GM, wouldn't want something in that segment to compete. Not a real Raptor fan, but there's nothing out there to compete with it.

I used to own, gasp, a Tacoma Off Road, locker rear, posi front, leveled with bigger tires. It went great off road, would go out with groups of vehicles at a time. One time a ZR2 came with along with a couple of Jeeps , stock ZR2, modded Jeeps. While I had a modded truck, apples to oranges, the ZR2 just couldn't get the power to the ground in the sandy conditions that we where in most of the day, and wasn't able to hang with the group. Everything was there, it looked great, but just seemed to tie itself in knots in sand and whoops, and tight tricky stuff. Really wanted that truck to do well, but it just didn't put it to the ground somehow. Now on the 60 mph trails, it blew my Tacoma off the trail. It was able to hang with some very modified long travel trucks , but jumping and landing at those speed was tearing it up. Bumper started to fall off, fuel gage crapped out, just that day. So I don't know how long that could have went on with out throwing some money at it to cope with that pounding.

The tacoma doesn't have a posi front, it has an abs type limited slip (a-trac) through an open diff or the newer version crawl control. I'm a fan of those trucks I looked at them before GM came out with the new Colorado/Canyon (though I got a Silverado). Always had GM and they haven't once let us down or failed to last, so I continue to get what has worked. I do look and appreciate the others, heck I worked at a Ford dealer once.

I get your points (especially the Raptor having an advantage with the bigger tires and clearence to help as it does) but I see more driver error in the ZR2 not getting through sand. It has better traction with a locked front (though smaller tires) and the suspension shouldn't have struggled compared to the others in the whoops. The driver could have been over or under zealous with the throttle, not aired down, left all diffs open, ect. Either way tires, driver, rig, line, ect all matter, a truck can get through an obstacle once then fail a second time so who knows, I wasn't there so I am by no means calling bs just don't let that one performance dictate all...

Sounds like we are more aligned on views and thoughts, y'all have a good easter weekend with the families.

Tyler

Archived