Issues with Rodents in Truck

So, to chime in on this,

My truck was 2 months old and I had about $1000 worth of work from the dealer taking a part half the dash and cleaning up the damage after rodents ate my cabin air filter and made a nice nest. chewed up some stuff etc...

I did what another poster said and put in some steel wool around the windshield cowl area. (my dad who has has a GMC said his dealer told him to do this).. I also took some screen mesh and cut it to the size of my cabin air filter. once I inserted the filter, I placed the mesh in on top of it. to keep any rodents from chewing up the filter. 

So far it has done well, we will see this winter since that's when the last time this happened. I think they want a warm place to go so they head up in there but I have no idea. I live in Maine, and the first time this happened was in January with snow and negative temperatures. 

• 2 months later...

It’s a shame to spend that kind of money on a new truck and have to deal with problems like this. I’m on my fourth filter with only 24k on truck. After doing some research on this I found there can be a major problem with breathing that horrible odor it called hantavirus pulmonary syndrome and can be fatal.the factory will do nothing to help. 

Edited by R Jandura

On 6/3/2018 at 10:20 PM, Stihl3500 said:

The mice are coming in from under the windshield cowl. Take your windshield wipers arms off and remove the plastic cowl under the wipers. There are a few plastic clips and disconnect washer hose and radio antenna. Once that is removed on the passenger side there will be a plastic access panel that is siliconed on. Remove that also. There is no protection to keep rodents out of cabin air filter. Once you are in there u will see what I am talking about. I had a nest in my filter twice. Today I made a screen out of galvanized metal today and used aluminum hvac tape to secure it. I should keep them out now. I know it sucks to have to do this to a new truck but it is poorly designed with no protection. Hope this helps

How difficult is it getting the cowl off? Any advice or tips appreciated

On ‎11‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 5:56 AM, Midnight Black said:

I get a lot of calls with issues like this, and they have turned into 15k worth of damagaes to their main wiring harnesses. All the home remidies unfortunately will not work. You need to park In A garage if at all possible when the rodent pressure is high. If you can’t park inside, the best defense is poison stations next to your tires and around any outbuildings. Yes this will be a pain to move them every time you take off and park, but better than mouse damage. 

Mice have no problem getting into my garage but Louise da Cat keeps the population in there to zero the last three years. A mouse trap in the cabin with peanut butter bait gets any that get by her while she's out killing rabbits or the neighbors dogs. That is one mean cat :rolleyes: 

• Thanks 1

• 2 years later...
On 7/13/2018 at 6:00 AM, Yeti1007 said:

Lol, then I'd have to get Dogs to get rid of the Cats so on and so forth 

And lions to get rid of the dogs, elephants to get rid of the lions, and mice to get rid of the elephants. 

Good luck. 

• Haha 1

Do you have access to slag from a metal facility? I live in Saskatchewan and we have Evraz in Regina that you can buy slag in 0”-3/4” and to 2”

lots of people use the 0-3/4” for making parking pads. Once you pack it and it rains a couple times, it sets up like asphalt. Also use it as a perimeter around buildings rather than crushed rock. Its really abrasive and rodents wont walk across it. 

i did a huge pad for parking trailers and vehicles on in my back lot. Also used it around my shop. 
i used the larger stuff in my maintenance free flower beds. It stays a nice blue/grey color too. 

but them little f*ckers wont cross a 4” wide strip of it. Its like walking on glass and razor blades to them. 

havent had a mouse in a camper, enclosed trailer, boat, truck or shop since. 

• Like 1