Too Hot for my Liking

I have a 2017 Chevy 2500hd High Country 6.0l and backing the 5th wheel into the uphill driveway, the transmission temperature was up into the 230-240f. I have the opening with a grill. Since the trans cooler does not have air going through it while backing, what kind of suggestions does anyone have to add cooling to this problem.

Randy

• Sad 1

I have a 2017 Chevy 2500hd High Country 6.0l and backing the 5th wheel into the uphill driveway, the transmission temperature was up into the 230-240f. I have the opening with a grill. Since the trans cooler does not have air going through it while backing, what kind of suggestions does anyone have to add cooling to this problem.

Randy

My suggestion is to park faster. Bahaha. Just kidding. You can probably buy a small electric fan and clip it behind the trans cooler. I would set up a relay to trigger off of your reverse lights so it’s only on when in reverse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How long is your driveway??  Or did you just basically come of the highway from a long haul? Heat soak etc? I cannot see any reason for your trans to get that hot while just backing into the driveway unless you have a trans issue or you have done one of the things i asked?  Was the engine fan locked and on and what was the engine temps?

NEVER put your truck in 4wd while backing the trailer this will cause drivetrain binding when turning the front wheels left to right.

As to the original poster I wouldn't worry about it if the trans needed more cooling it would lock the motor fan on and you will know it by the wind noise from the fan. Those temps are fine and if they were not the truck will let you know as you will get a warning message at 270 degrees for trans temp.

Edited by Silverado4x4

6 hours ago, djv1951 said:

If you have 4 wheel drive put it in low range, this should take some of the load off of the transmission

This is exactly what my transmission service person said to do while backing up with my 4l80e trans and the newer 6 speed is a variant of it. Reverse is the weak link on these transmissions. He recommended using the 4-low method also to help take a load off the trans. Yes, I'd agree making a tight turn in 4x4 is not suggested, but when straightening out, it's 4-low for me and no more problems. 

This is exactly what my transmission service person said to do while backing up with my 4l80e trans and the newer 6 speed is a variant of it. Reverse is the weak link on these transmissions. He recommended using the 4-low method also to help take a load off the trans. Yes, I'd agree making a tight turn in 4x4 is not suggested, but when straightening out, it's 4-low for me and no more problems. 
I do this as well...if it's a level straight shot, I don't bother. If it's a tricky or steep attack, it's 4wd and low range. People act like a short 50ft reverse stint is going to frag a transfercase...think of the abuse they get when actually used offroad. I do miss my Dodge and the Dynatrac hubs it had...I found 2wd low was very useful.

I watched a guy with a 1500 Hemi Ram literally smoke his trans backing a smallish camper into a slot last year...he was all rev'd up trying to get into this slot, the RPMs skyrocketed, and a huge cloud of "I'm too hot" ATF smoke drifted by my campsite...

2012 2500hd 6.0l CCSB 4wd

• Like 1

I do this as well...if it's a level straight shot, I don't bother. If it's a tricky or steep attack, it's 4wd and low range. People act like a short 50ft reverse stint is going to frag a transfercase...think of the abuse they get when actually used offroad. I do miss my Dodge and the Dynatrac hubs it had...I found 2wd low was very useful.

I watched a guy with a 1500 Hemi Ram literally smoke his trans backing a smallish camper into a slot last year...he was all rev'd up trying to get into this slot, the RPMs skyrocketed, and a huge cloud of "I'm too hot" ATF smoke drifted by my campsite...

I can’t imagine how these things happen in reasonable way. Backing up a tow length and smokes his transmission? There has to be more to that failure than just the 50’

• Like 1

I can’t imagine how these things happen in reasonable way. Backing up a tow length and smokes his transmission? There has to be more to that failure than just the 50’

1500 Dodge and too heavy a trailer backing up an incline...my 2500 would've struggled with it...

1500 Dodge and too heavy a trailer backing up an incline...my 2500 would've struggled with it...

Ok... when you mentioned smallish. It creates this image of a lighter weight trailer and not a 3/4t pull of a trailer. My bad.

Thanks everyone,

My driveway is 100' long, up hill, trailer is 8' wide and the driveway is 11 1/2' wide, coming from 90 degree angle. I am on a street that everybody uses as a bypass thru town, so at times, there will be 10 cars waiting on both sides. I have found a better direction to come in, so hope It will be alright. I was used to my 2015 1500 and a different 5th wheel. So your expert opinions have eased my might some. Thanks to all. 

I also use 4wd low range when pulling my boat up the ramp and hills in Lake Cumberland.  Roads are STEEP, and even though my boat and trailer is around 9k...getting going on the huge incline is tough on the trans.  Add a 95 def day, and you may not even have the power to move the rig up the steep hills.