Transfer case leak - What is this?

What the heck is this on the rear transfer case half and why would it be leaking?  Obviously corroded, but why does it go all the way through?  Replacement case halves do not show any holes there.  Ideas for fix?

IMG_20180402_171959993.jpg

Case.JPG

Closer inspection shows the case has a ridge that sticks out about mm from under the corroded part, formed when the case was poured and so original. Might have been one of those GM fast assembly gimics (ie, snap in heater hoses)

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

The corrosion probably pulled the fastener out. I would remove the fastener, clean the area, and reinstall the fastener with some JB Weld or even some RTV (there is no pressure inside the case, so it won't take much).

That's my best guess given what is posted...

2012 2500hd 6.0l CCSB 4wd

• 2 weeks later...

Well its not the fastener.  Thanks to the good old Northeast Ohio winters, the road salt has corroded the case wall because of this tag.  Hopefully I can get some epoxy to seal this leak, although I have been experiencing a growl from 65mph up.  Someone has diagnosed a similar thing on their truck as the transfer case.  I don't really want to have to replace this thing!

IMG_20180412_185403441.jpg

• 2 months later...

Just to update this thread, I did drain the case and sand/grind the area and applied epoxy (see first pic).  It seems to have sealed the leak nicely.  BUT! Now the very bottom case half bolt area is also corroded and leaking!  This one won't be so easy since I won't be able to fully drain the case so there's no leaking fluid while I make the repair.  What a PITA 

Fix.jpg

Fix2.jpg