Rear Bumper cost? Fender bender brand new 2018

3 minutes ago, 2009GMC said:

I didn't call it in. The other driver called it in and now there is a claim open on both his and my insurance. My deductible is $500 but since they want to do 50/50 blame it would be 250 deductible. I'm still fighting that It was not my fault but will have to see how that goes.

OK but he isn't having any repairs. (?)  With my insurance, if no claim is made then no report.  It is worth checking into this because if I made a claim and lost my safe driver's discount, my increase would probably exceed the cost of a new bumper in my first year of premiums!

I've argued my case with insurance and pretty much got nowhere. They will not budge from 50/50 fault since we were both backing up in a parking lot. Even though I was stopped when collision happened. 

My options are:

A) Pay $500 deductible and have insurance pay for repair. May get $250 from other guys ins. Accident then shows on carfax? I will not loose my accident free discount but use my "freebie" and next accident I loose discount.

B )Try and cancel claim and look for a clean used bumper or pay $600 out of pocket for a new GM bumper. I believe claim still shows but is a $0 payout so won't affect my insurance.

Third option, see if you can beat the dent back out.  Won't be perfect but it will be cheaper and your truck will have it's first scar.  I try to keep my trucks clean but I also use it for what they are made for which means plenty of scratches and dents over the years.  

For just a bumper you should just buy a new one and put it on yourself.

I see you already took it to insurance, that was a mistake.

Its after the fact but what I would have done is just ask the guy if he would settle outside of insurance. just ask for a couple hundred and be on your way. If he said no then just take the hit because you would be out your deductible anyway. 

Skip it for that dent. My used 2500 has a nice "bruise", and once I saw cost of bumper, it's more than livable.

Besides, we all know we'll shell out $300 for a new bumper, and someone will rear end us the next week making it a moot point!

I have a dent that I put in my bumper almost at the exact same spot. Although mine is a bit smaller.

Here is my thought and pretty much what I'm going to do - take it to a paintless dent repair place, maybe for like $50-100 they could pop it out. If not, I was going to take the bumper cover off and try to pop the dent my self. If that doesn't work i would just pay the $500 and put the bumper on myself. It looks like a very easy job.

These bumpers are apparently very wimpy. I now have a small "dent" in mine in the same exact spot after backing up into a ice (formerly snow) bank in a parking lot. Couldn't have been going more than about 2-3 mph. I'm going to try to just use a hammer and a dolly and try to lightly bang it out.

After talking to my insurance the claim is already on it because of the 50/50 parking lot blame. So I might as well go through insurance.

I’ll try and get check to me and repair myself. Don’t think I can go for diminished value since it’s 50/50 fault which I’m still arguing about.

The other guy felt bad and turned in claim to his insurance to get my truck fixed. He’s claiming no damages to his truck but his insurance then opens claim with my ins and they decide 50/50.

What a PITA.

Time to lawyer up ;-)

These bumpers are apparently very wimpy. I now have a small "dent" in mine in the same exact spot after backing up into a ice (formerly snow) bank in a parking lot. Couldn't have been going more than about 2-3 mph. I'm going to try to just use a hammer and a dolly and try to lightly bang it out.

Yes. You can grab bottom of bumper with your hands and deform it. Talk about light duty.

In the name of cutting weight for fuel economy. I’m sure cheaper to produce as well. Although GM charges 500 - 700 shipped for a bare bumper without plastic pad or sensors.

Hey all,

Currently working with insurance on 50/50 claim and getting estimates for damage, etc. In my state parking lot accidents are default 50/50 blame.

I would just cancel the claim but its already on each insurance so might as well get it fixed for half of the deductible (50/50)

Going to try and just get a check and find a clean bumper for sale (chrome not painted). Then swap my sensors, etc over. 

Drop the claim and make it a 0$ payout.  You'll thank me later.  Also, you can get bumpers on eBay that are new takeoffs with brackets and all the plastic on them for around 3-400.  Someone hit an ran my truck last week and I have been through all this with my bumper already.  However, my bumper is painted.  It takes about an hour to swap the bumpers.