Traded my Silverado for a Colorado and I HATED IT!

Okay guys here is the bottom line: I had been driving a K2 platform truck since 2013... Switched to a 2017 Colorado about 2 months ago and it was a terrible choice for me..

My lease was coming up to the end on the 2016 Silverado LT 4x4 I had been driving and I thought, hrm maybe a Colorado would be nice: smaller size would fit better in the garage and be easier to park plus maybe save a few bucks on gas along the way..

Holy crap the Colorado was  a MAJOR mistake for me.... It is small inside I just couldn't get comfortable with it, the truck I had for about 50 days was a 2017 Colorado Z71 crew cab 4x4....

The seats are too small for me: I'm not a real big guy 210# 5'11" size 36" pants, after about 30 minutes my legs would start to tingle and lose some circulation / hurt moderately...

The seats have no adjustment for tilt either just up and down front to back and lumbar which was really irritating to me and exacerbated the seat discomfort issues... 

I could not put the seat close enough to the steering wheel to comfortable reach it without putting my feet to close to the pedals and my knee so close to the steering column that I would have the dang truck remote tapping on my knees when I had my foot on the brake.. I blame this on the telescoping steering wheel not coming out far enough, also it's just telescope not a true tilt...

There was not enough room for my left leg next to / below the steering wheel so I couldn't steer with my left hand outside the wheel because my leg was in the way of my arm operating the steering wheel...

Door height was too short for me to get in and out without either bumping my head or seriously tilting my neck in an awkward to clear the door... This also played into the steering wheel vs leg problem as there is not enough overall height inside the cab IMO...

I've owned about 15 cars over the years and this Colorado was by far the worst fit for me and given how happy I was with the K2 trucks I've had and how pleased we've been with the Malibu my wife has I was pretty surprised how poorly the Colorado worked out for me....

Wound up finding the exact truck I turned in at the end of my lease for sale and they made an even swap for the Colorado and I'm pleased to be back in the Silverado.

The point of this: if your driving a Silverado and considering a Colorado I would go rent one for a long weekend and spend some serious time behind the wheel before making the switch, I wish I had....

More discussion here on Coloradofans.com if you're interested in the discussion... http://coloradofans.com/forums/114-2nd-gen-chevrolet-colorado-forum-2015-gmc-canyon-forum/385346-considering-dropping-colorado-silverado.html

Edited by Imcrazy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5ft10 230 and I fit completely fine in mine.  Yes, the seat bottom could be a tad longer.  I also went from K2 to Colorado and I love the Colorado.  Should have test drove before you spent 50 days and then ended up hating it. 

• Like 1

To each their own.

This truck and all small pickup trucks are built to compete with the jap imports.

My brother bought a Ranger and I would not get in it.

Cramped feeling.

Nose in the windshield.

:)

In the early 90's I tried the Sonoma route after two decades in a full sized cab.  This was a fun truck to drive but comfort was no comparison to a full sized pickup.  I appreciate that a Sonoma may be even smaller than a Colorado but I understand your disappointment  I will accept smaller engines, shorter bed, 17" wheels, and less conveniences in my truck but there is no compromise on interior space.

• Like 2

To me it is apples and oranges. If you are a big guy size wise you will never be happy with a Colorado/Canyon. And that is not to say the smaller trucks are bad. I have had two of them and had fun with them but there is nothing like the roominess of the full size trucks. My wife always told me that I looked very uncomfortable in my Colorado's.

5 hours ago, newdude said:

5ft10 230 and I fit completely fine in mine.  Yes, the seat bottom could be a tad longer.  I also went from K2 to Colorado and I love the Colorado. Should have test drove before you spent 50 days and then ended up hating it. 

I test drove it for about 1/2 hour.... I usually buy a new vehicle at a different dealer that allows overnight test drives... Oh well cost me $4000 in the long run and its the only big vehicle mistake I've made... I'll probably just stick with fullsize trucks from now on...

4 hours ago, Likarok said:

To me it is apples and oranges. If you are a big guy size wise you will never be happy with a Colorado/Canyon. And that is not to say the smaller trucks are bad. I have had two of them and had fun with them but there is nothing like the roominess of the full size trucks. My wife always told me that I looked very uncomfortable in my Colorado's.

Yeah I was surprised, I am very comfortable in my wife's Malibu - plenty of interior space, nice ride etc...

5 hours ago, diyer2 said:

To each their own.

This truck and all small pickup trucks are built to compete with the jap imports.

My brother bought a Ranger and I would not get in it.

Cramped feeling.

Nose in the windshield.

:)

I agree, it's a Taco competitor not a mini Silverado..

4 hours ago, Donstar said:

In the early 90's I tried the Sonoma route after two decades in a full sized cab.  This was a fun truck to drive but comfort was no comparison to a full sized pickup.  I appreciate that a Sonoma may be even smaller than a Colorado but I understand your disappointment  I will accept smaller engines, shorter bed, 17" wheels, and less conveniences in my truck but there is no compromise on interior space.

I am with you, 17" rims are fine by me, just keep mine with a V8, power heated seats, power windows & locks...I don't need many other luxuries.. Just enough room to move around and spread out a bit... Cost on the Colorado is damn near the same as a Silverado... No doubt it was easier to park and fun to drive..

At 6'2" I was NEVER comfortable in the S-10s I had to drive and I am not comfortable in the Colorados and Canyons I've sat in.  I love the looks both inside and out of the twins, but not comfortable to be in. 

I’m 5’7”, 175lbs. I had a 2008 Taco for 10 years. It was a great little truck. While I never felt uncomfortable in it, after purchasing my 2017 Silverado, I don’t think I could ever go back to a small/midsize truck.
I’m getting the same mpg with my 5.3 Silverado that I was getting in my 4.0 Taco and I love all the extra interior room. If my new Silverado is as trouble free as my Taco was, I’ll be very happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Donstar said:

Ease of access and ride height are also  major advantages to the full-sized trucks.  

I agree... If you measure the distance from the ground to the bottom of the door on both trucks they're about the same distance but, the roof line on the colorado is very low and I think the floor board is a little higher off the ground on the colorado as well which makes for a pretty small window of entry & exit...

• Like 1

I'm 6'-2" and 203#, 34" waist and 36", 36" sleeve. Built similar to an Orangutan, but hairless and she says a lot better looking.. :D

I owned a 93 Sonoma with the tuned port, 98 Sonoma same engine designation but no tuned port, the low wide tired one, and a 2001 Sonoma. 2010 Silverado and now a Canyon SLT.

I fit with no problems.

The thing I found coming from Colorado's the 1500 with the big wheel wells just out maneuver the smaller trucks.

It's easier to drive the full size..

The older Gen Colorado to me was more comfortable  I did look at the new Canyon's 

• Like 1