Traded my Silverado for a Colorado and I HATED IT!

50 state compliant is really tough and it usually means less at the wheels. From what I've read and I don't know for sure... Metallic CATS are better for emissions than OE (original equipment) ceramics. However, as they aren't OE, they are illegal in California.. I honestly don't know; so, we'd need someone from California to weigh in and explain it..

From quick google search:

"EO stands for Executive Order. This is a number given to the emission upgrade component by the California Air Resources Board (CARB). The EO number indicates the performance upgrade part is California emissions legal."

Once something gets the EO from CARB it becomes emission compliant in California, and, anything that passes CARB, automatically becomes 50 state legal. Every new vehicle sold in the USA for highway use must pass federal emission standards(49 state compliant) and if it is going to be sold in California it needs to pass their standards, becoming 50 state compliant.

I can't imagine any catalytic convertor manufacturer not bothering to get a CARB EO Number if they plan to retail in the USA. Who is the "metallic cat" manufacturer you are talking about? Doesn't take a resident from California to find out the details.

Sent from my KII-L05 using Tapatalk

Simply said  what CARB wants may be what I want or not.

Here are some links, go read them.

https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/aftermarket-catalytic-convertors

" Aftermarket Catalytic Converter Database * (searchable by vehicle information or ARB Executive Order number)

NOTE: Windows Internet Explorer (IE) users, encountering database display issues, should check the Compatibility View, in the IE Address Bar.

*Alert: Please view Executive Orders that were rescinded or withdraw and the catalytic converters that cannot be installed, sold, offered for sale or advertised."

https://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermktcat/catrescind.pdf

If you can figure it out; let me know because I can't.. My blower is CARB complaint.  How about the injectors  and all the rest??  

None of CARB applies to my vehicles which is all I care about. You live in Ontario, CA. Do you care about what applies here?

Simply said  what CARB wants may be what I want or not.

Here are some links, go read them.
https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/aftermarket-catalytic-convertors
" Aftermarket Catalytic Converter Database * (searchable by vehicle information or ARB Executive Order number)
NOTE: Windows Internet Explorer (IE) users, encountering database display issues, should check the Compatibility View, in the IE Address Bar.
*Alert: Please view Executive Orders that were rescinded or withdraw and the catalytic converters that cannot be installed, sold, offered for sale or advertised."
https://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermktcat/catrescind.pdf

If you can figure it out; let me know because I can't.. My blower is CARB complaint.  How about the injectors  and all the rest??  
None of CARB applies to my vehicles which is all I care about. You live in Ontario, CA. Do you care about what applies here?

You may not understand the concept of web forums. It is not important if I care because it does not apply to me. You are a skiing for help, I am offering to help. I am just as happy going back to watching America's Got Talent. Up to you.

On 6/18/2018 at 12:06 PM, Yonah_Mtn said:

Some of those lumps might be aerodynamic more than styling. All the OEMs spend time and money in wind tunnels.. Today, every manufacturer is trying to squeeze as little as a few decimal points in MPG.. As Ford is bringing back the Ranger in MY 2019; there is $$$ in mid-size.

OTOH, a bud owns an old F-150 and his new F-150 totally dwarfs it in every direction.. Including MPG.

Due to the shape of their sport seats; I'll guarantee you'd hate my Corvette. :)

Oh no I like the seats in a vette and a camaro but, those are sports cars and they deserve sport seats... Not that it's sporty but, the seats in my 2016 Malibu are great for me too..

On 6/19/2018 at 10:14 PM, Doug_Scott said:

You may not understand the concept of web forums. It is not important if I care because it does not apply to me. You are a skiing for help, I am offering to help. I am just as happy going back to watching America's Got Talent. Up to you.

Since the late 1990s, I've been on a variety of forums (cars, drag racing, firearms, shooting, Veterans etc)  and an admin at a a few simply because I'm adept with *nix. I'm not asking for your help and apologize if I somehow gave you the impression you help was needed, so enjoy the TV show.

On 6/19/2018 at 10:18 PM, Imcrazy said:

Oh no I like the seats in a vette and a camaro but, those are sports cars and they deserve sport seats... Not that it's sporty but, the seats in my 2016 Malibu are great for me too..

LOL, I know what you mean.. I'd prefer if the Canyon's seats were air adjustable same as the Corvette's... Start the Corvette and the seats pump up to lock the driver and passenger in place... However, that is asking a bit much for a PU.. To be honest I find the Canyon's dead pedal silly.. :D It's a good truck which is all that counts.. My Silverado was a good truck also. IMO, they are all good...

As once warranty is over, I do my own repairs; all I can say is the Canyon has way too many electronic gadgets..  

• 4 months later...

Seems like you should have taken your own advice and put your butt in a Colorado more than once to see if downsizing was for you.  I am 6-2, 160 with my height in my legs not upper body, I am in my fourth Canyon after driving the full sized trucks for many many years and love the smaller size.  I have taken two trips to Texas in my 2017 Denali and was amazed at the comfort in the seats, the interior is spacious enough for a three day drive (2500 miles one way) and the return trip on one of the jaunts we drove straight through something that would not have been possible if we were uncomfortable.  By the way my friend that I visit and hunt with in Texas always flys to Washington and then drives back with me.  He is 6-4, 210# and drives a crew Silverado normally, he has told me he prefers the size and driveability of my Canyon over his  full size.   It’s all in your perspective.

• 4 weeks later...

I have been driving a 2016 colorado for work for the last 2 years/ I personally have a 06 1500 silverado i drive. Yeah the colorado is smaller like the old S10 i had before. Drove it fine. Loved my 1994 S10 from the past.  You just have to get use to the truck when switching

By the way just bought the wife a 2016 Canyon to drive. lol will see who drives it more.

Seats dont adjust like the silverado which is not a good thing for me at 6' 260 but i can drive it. Drive 75-100 miles no issues.

• 2 months later...

Well i didn't trade in my 06 Silverado when i bought the 2016 GMC Canyon for wife and I to drive. I tell you what i am not impressed with it after a month or so owning/driving it.  Has the V6 in it and gets terrible gas mileage.  My V8 silverado gets the same mileage doing the typical driving we do. So why go to the smaller truck.  I am probably going to sell or trade in when i retire to buy my 2020 Silverado double cab.  At least i will be more roomy when in and probably better gas mileage.  

Just my input on my 2016 GMC i just got with now 8K miles. Found out after it was a california rig so dont know if that makes a difference with all the crap they have on cars.

Edited by lryfer

11 hours ago, lryfer said:

Well i didn't trade in my 06 Silverado when i bought the 2016 GMC Canyon for wife and I to drive. I tell you what i am not impressed with it after a month or so owning/driving it.  Has the V6 in it and gets terrible gas mileage.  My V8 silverado gets the same mileage doing the typical driving we do. So why go to the smaller truck.  I am probably going to sell or trade in when i retire to buy my 2020 Silverado double cab.  At least i will be more roomy when in and probably better gas mileage.  

Just my input on my 2016 GMC i just got with now 8K miles. Found out after it was a california rig so dont know if that makes a difference with all the crap they have on cars.

Poor fuel mileage has been a common complaint going back quite  few generations. The old0 4.3 engine was a pig on fuel.  I don't think there is much difference between 49 and 50 state akls there used to be. Have to wonder what the seemingly yearly wildfires have done to the environment.

• 7 months later...

I drove nothing but full size trucks for last 20 years, but after test driving a Colorado Duramax, I took it home. More than enough grunt for what I do. High 20's for MPG is nice as well.

Edited by oak 1971