Traded my Silverado for a Colorado and I HATED IT!

4 hours ago, m3n00b said:

I'm 6'6" 250# and initially went shopping for a Colorado. It was definitely too small. 1500 was just right.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I'm glad the Silverado worked out for you.. My 2010 Silverado was a great truck. In 2WD with aggressive tires, it had no issues in 6-7" of snow.

It had all the HD towing options; it towed a +5K dry weight camper fully loaded effortlessly. Click tow mode and set cruise and forget it even in the mountains. It was a great truck. 

So far my Canyon is a great truck and my same as an orangutan body fits quite well. I wish you the same with your 1500.  Based on my 140K experience with my 1500; I doubt you will be disappointed.

I spent a lot of time considering the Colorado when I was truck shopping, like the way they look (inside and out). Ended up buying a 2018 Silverado because...A. You just couldn't beat the deals they're throwing out there on them now...B. I figured I could get similar gas mileage (I'm averaging 26)...C. I just didn't like how it felt sitting in the Colorado - I thought they looked like good sized trucks - but when you sit in them you feel like you're sitting right on the floor. The Silverado has a comfortable higher position. The truck is so smooth and quiet. The power is effortless. Love the thing.

But the Colorados are nice trucks...see them all over the place and if  you look quick you think you're looking at a full sized truck (but one that is much easier to maneuver around parking lots).

As the consumer push leans more towards the Canyon/Colorado than the Sierra/Silverado;  or so my salesman said.. My answer was I have a good truck; so I don't need yours. 

As I mentioned, towing a 29'-06" camper; the Silverado was a need not a want. Now we have a cabin which doesn't tow at all... 

Today, my towing need is for a fiberglass 18'-3" bass boat with a 150 HP.  Probably, an ATV could tow it .1 mile from the boat launch.

The only thing I don't miss about my Silverado is parking it. 

My big criteria for cars or trucks is do I fit. I fit in the Canyon and Corvette; her Volvo S-60 T5 is not so good.. 

The Pitts miss the Sierra as there was more room between the front and rear seats when they jumped in and up on to the seat.. However, wanna go bye bye still works.. :D

1 hour ago, Doublebase said:

I spent a lot of time considering the Colorado when I was truck shopping, like the way they look (inside and out). Ended up buying a 2018 Silverado because...A. You just couldn't beat the deals they're throwing out there on them now...B. I figured I could get similar gas mileage (I'm averaging 26)...C. I just didn't like how it felt sitting in the Colorado - I thought they looked like good sized trucks - but when you sit in them you feel like you're sitting right on the floor. The Silverado has a comfortable higher position. The truck is so smooth and quiet. The power is effortless. Love the thing.

But the Colorados are nice trucks...see them all over the place and if  you look quick you think you're looking at a full sized truck (but one that is much easier to maneuver around parking lots).

Item C was what made my HATE owing the Colorado, honestly I would have gone $5000 in the hole just to get rid of it... I thought I was back in my '98 ZX2, the interior was just too cramped for me... They should make the Colorado as tall as the Silverado and move the seating position up, also they should make the interior about 3" -4" wider, the truck isn't that much narrower than the Silverado on the exterior because they put those cool fender flare styling points into the truck the cab has to be as narrow as a chevy cruze.... I'd consider a Colorado again if they increased the cab width and height... Also I couldn't get over the styling, looked too much like a euro SUV - the Canyon on the other hand is pretty cool looking BUT, that last point is just all personal preference.. Really the interior sizing is personal preference too, I'm sure that it fits a lot of people well or they wouldn't be selling so dang many of them... .

Test drove the new Colorado. Maybe if I had never driven a full size before I would be ok with it but I can't see myself being entirely happy in a mid size truck either.. Looking at the dealerships around here, full size trucks are definitely out selling the mid anyhow.. so I can't be in the minority. 

As I mentioned, I'm built like an orangutan.. 34-36 inseam depending on who made the jeans. I fit well in the Canyon, but my arms match my legs. In the 66 and 69 Corvettes, my right leg had a red spot from rubbing the console..

Something that most are missing is the impact of out of proportion body sections. I am 6 feet tall, with a 30 inch in-seam. It leaves me with a body length normally seen on 6'6" men. Add to that, I have had two spinal fusion that have reduced my flex ability to the point I have issues getting into the full size truck. I got as far as trying to get into a Canyon, but it was just too awkward. I am also a broad shouldered person as well. On air planes if I sit in the aisle seat I get my shoulder walked into by every person walking by. My weight is approx 250, with a 36 waist. I was initially going to get the Canyon with the 5.3 engine. That came to a stop when I couldn't get into it easily, and once I noticed the price with the 5.3 was just over $5k more than I got a full sized GMC with a 4.8 for.

Sent from my KII-L05 using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, Imcrazy said:

Item C was what made my HATE owing the Colorado, honestly I would have gone $5000 in the hole just to get rid of it... I thought I was back in my '98 ZX2, the interior was just too cramped for me... They should make the Colorado as tall as the Silverado and move the seating position up, also they should make the interior about 3" -4" wider, the truck isn't that much narrower than the Silverado on the exterior because they put those cool fender flare styling points into the truck the cab has to be as narrow as a chevy cruze.... I'd consider a Colorado again if they increased the cab width and height... Also I couldn't get over the styling, looked too much like a euro SUV - the Canyon on the other hand is pretty cool looking BUT, that last point is just all personal preference.. Really the interior sizing is personal preference too, I'm sure that it fits a lot of people well or they wouldn't be selling so dang many of them... .

Some of those lumps might be aerodynamic more than styling. All the OEMs spend time and money in wind tunnels.. Today, every manufacturer is trying to squeeze as little as a few decimal points in MPG.. As Ford is bringing back the Ranger in MY 2019; there is $$$ in mid-size.

OTOH, a bud owns an old F-150 and his new F-150 totally dwarfs it in every direction.. Including MPG.

Due to the shape of their sport seats; I'll guarantee you'd hate my Corvette. :)

12 hours ago, Doug_Scott said:

Something that most are missing is the impact of out of proportion body sections. I am 6 feet tall, with a 30 inch in-seam. It leaves me with a body length normally seen on 6'6" men. Add to that, I have had two spinal fusion that have reduced my flex ability to the point I have issues getting into the full size truck. I got as far as trying to get into a Canyon, but it was just too awkward. I am also a broad shouldered person as well. On air planes if I sit in the aisle seat I get my shoulder walked into by every person walking by. My weight is approx 250, with a 36 waist. I was initially going to get the Canyon with the 5.3 engine. That came to a stop when I couldn't get into it easily, and once I noticed the price with the 5.3 was just over $5k more than I got a full sized GMC with a 4.8 for.

We'd be a match on the wide shoulders... Usually, I'm forced into buying XXL tee-shirts to fit my shoulders and at the stomach and waist it looks similar to a tent. LOL

With my legs, air travel is highly uncomfortable.. I studied aircraft interiors to find which seats had the most room. When I traveled for business; I'd pay out of pocket to upgrade to first class where the seats have more room..

People here are open and honest about I bought this vehicle because my physique said I had to go this way..

17 hours ago, Doug_Scott said:

The Canyon with the 5.3?? Didn't realize they offered that. That sounds like a truck that would be a lot of fun.

2 hours ago, Doublebase said:

The Canyon with the 5.3?? Didn't realize they offered that. That sounds like a truck that would be a lot of fun.

That was the last generation Canyon.  Notice he was comparing it to a 4.8L Silverado

• Thanks 1

My father in law has one in the old generation and it is really cool. Dealers don't even believe that it exists.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The V8 sound would be cool, ifs that’s what you’re into. The new mid sized with the V6 is quicker. I looked at those they were the same price as the full-size just like now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Want seriously crazy RWHP, add a blower.

GM Authority offers a Mallet screw type which adds 85 at the tires..

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2016/02/mallett-cars-releases-supercharger-kit-for-chevrolet-coloradogmc-canyon-v6/

It is probably emissions compliant; but, I don't know. My guess would be at +85; it is emissions compliant; but again, I don't know..

Aftermarket Centrifugal type kits for the 3.6 add +100 to 150 RWHP.

https://rippmods.com/products/chevrolet-colorado-gmc-canyon-supercharger-kit

A centrifugal supercharger is the compressor side of a turbocharger. Parasitic losses are about the same as an alternator.. 

The drive pulley  (at the blower) come in various diameters; the smaller the diameter the more power. What the ad doesn't mention is injectors and fuel pump etc. If you live in a smog state; this is a no-no.

Most blower kits are similar to what I have on my Corvette

https://www.aacorvette.com/c5superchargers.html

My Corvette has calibrated 75# injectors, an aftermarket fuel pump, and a Kenne-Bell boost-a-pump which boosts the voltage to the fuel pump.   There are a lot of hidden extra cost items. A pressed on dampener (the crank pulley) needs to be swapped for pinned on one.

C5.jpg

Here is my baby.. What I didn't mention is have a tolerant wife which I have.. :lol:

Edited by Yonah_Mtn
changed mentioned to mention a tolerant wife..
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Doug_Scott said:

They say "CARB EO Number Received" on their website for that supercharger kit, that Ge really means 50 state emission ready. 

50 state compliant is really tough and it usually means less at the wheels. From what I've read and I don't know for sure... Metallic CATS are better for emissions than OE (original equipment) ceramics. However, as they aren't OE, they are illegal in California.. I honestly don't know; so, we'd need someone from California to weigh in and explain it..