Help me decide between a 2014 Model All terrain or between a 2016 Model All terrain

Guys, I have been searching for a gray 2014+ GMC Sierra all terrain with low miles priced right. 

I finally found a Crew cab 2014 Sierra SLE All terrain with 35k miles for $32,800. I really wanted the SLT becasue of the sliding back window and the leather, but I really like this truck.

i originally wanted a 2016 model due to the headlight issues in 2014-2015, but I’m willing to swap out to some LED’s or HID’s.

Whats the main differences between 2014 & 2016 other than front ends?

The VIN starts with a 3, so I am assuming assembled in Mexico?

It says z71 on fender and has all terrain badges.. what all comes on the z71, how can I tell if it has transmission cooler, tow package, etc?

I do not swap vehicles often so this is something i plan on keeping, what would you all do? 2014 model or wait and find a 2016 priced right?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Make sure to test drive them to 80 to be sure you aren't getting one with the shakes. The 2014 halogen reflectors do exceptionally well with HID's and have enough of a visible cutoff to aim the height well also. So well, I am considering going back to my OE reflectors over some new LTZ replica projectors I just installed. If you have reflectors, do HID's in them, they work really good in them, without your really missing out. The 2016 is mostly cosmetic for change. There are some improvements that were found with the 14/15 trucks made to the 2016+ trucks. Much of them are the same overall. You can check the RPO sticker in the glove box to verify what options the truck has. 

The available Z71 Off-Road Package includes: 

•Z71 Off-Road suspension
•46mm twin-tube high-pressure gas-charged shocks
•Skid Plate Package with a frame-mounted shield
•GM segment-exclusive automatic locking rear differential that provides added grip when you need it
•Available Z71 Appearance Package: 18" aluminum wheels, body-color mirrors and door handles, body-color grille with chrome insert, and Rancho® shocks

I have a 15 and as stated above I have a set of 55W 4300K hids in my headlights and honestly have ZERO issues seeing at night. Its a mere 40-100$ for everything and your lighting issue is solved. I would buy the truck you can simply get the best deal on because at the end of the day the only differences are the front end, a charging pad and the Apple careplay. It doesnt bother me to charge my phone normally and I keep it on bluetooth 99% of the time so no issues for me.

You can probley save 5-10K going with a 14 or 15. Your choice..

I would go for the 2016 because of the updated front end, headlamps and taillamps.  Subtle change but noticeable with the C shaped LED accent lights/DRLs.  2016 has the T4L High Performance LEDs available which are dang good.

Also available is Apple Car Play and Android Auto which I would like to have but wasn't available for 2015 and older.

Have the Morimoto GMC Spec HID kit in my 2015 All Terrain and have had a couple of minor issues.  The major issue was the headlamp housing developed condensation so it was replaced under warranty.   Don't know if this was caused by the fact the headlamp bulb caps were no longer sealed tight.

The 2016 is 2 years newer as well compared to the 2014 and may still have bumper to bumper warranty. 

If you are willing to spend $32,800 on a truck, look on the lot for a new truck that may have been sitting for awhile.  It may not be exactly as you want, but it will have full warranty and be 4 years newer!  There is not a bad choice in the GM 1/2 ton lineup, imo.

The 16 will have Android Auto / Apple Carplay, improved headlights and because it's the updated model you'll enjoy a little better resale value... As Donstar said, $32k for a used truck seems a bit steep but, depends on your area... I saw a nice 2016 All-Terrain model double cab in my area for about $28k a few months back... Depending on why you want an AT model you might be able to find a nicely equipped new truck for around $32k however, after a few years the warranty won't matter but, your appreciation of the options you've chosen will matter for the life of the truck... I recently bought a newer Colorado and gave up on my Silverado because I was worried about it being out of warranty... I wound up trading that Colorado back in and getting my old Silverado back because you don't have drive the warranty.... My point is get the truck you want within reason that makes you happy IMO for me that is more important than warranties etc...

6 hours ago, Rambodog said:

The 2014 halogen reflectors do exceptionally well with HID's and have enough of a visible cutoff to aim the height well also. So well, I am considering going back to my OE reflectors over some new LTZ replica projectors I just installed. If you have reflectors, do HID's in them, they work really good in them, without your really missing out. The 2016 is mostly cosmetic for change.

Do not do this, it is illegal and you will blind the crap out of everyone else on the road and ust be that person everyone hates. Enough light cutoff :lol: no they don't, reflectors still have tons of scatter. HID's require a projector style headlight to cutoff the light as HID's are much much brighter than the stock headlight bulbs, you are essentially putting in a bulb that is many times brighter than the high beams. Do it right, there is a reason why all HID & LED headlights come in those type of housing (projector style), to cut off the incredible light output from shining in to oncoming traffics eyes. To put HID's in a reflector setup is the cheap and wrong way to do it and associatied with ricers and brodozers going for the "look" with little gained in additional visibility.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html

An excerpt from a letter from the NHTSA...

"Because replaceable light sources are, by regulation, designed to be non-interchangeable, it would not be possible for an HID headlamp conversion set to meet the standard�s photometry requirements for an original equipment headlamp system using a halogen light source"

Tyler

Used or new, trucks will (or will not) have options that you want or don't want. (or don't care about).  GM will only allow certain options on certain models with certain combinations.  There are no Frankenstein trucks direct from the factory.  When I look, I set my broad "must haves" c/w price and let the salesperson earn his/her commission. My current truck has the power train and cab/ box configuration I was after.  It didn't come with power fold mirrors (wanted) but it came with heated leather (didn't want- but now love)  It has features like power adjust pedals that are no use to me but may come in handy later.(don't care about)   If you restrict your search too much you may miss out on a great truck.  My last two GM truck buying experiences resulted in trucks that exceeded my want list at better prices.

1 hour ago, amxguy1970 said:

Do not do this, it is illegal and you will blind the crap out of everyone else on the road and ust be that person everyone hates. Enough light cutoff :lol: no they don't, reflectors still have tons of scatter. HID's require a projector style headlight to cutoff the light as HID's are much much brighter than the stock headlight bulbs, you are essentially putting in a bulb that is many times brighter than the high beams. Do it right, there is a reason why all HID & LED headlights come in those type of housing (projector style), to cut off the incredible light output from shining in to oncoming traffics eyes. To put HID's in a reflector setup is the cheap and wrong way to do it and associatied with ricers and brodozers going for the "look" with little gained in additional visibility.

"Because replaceable light sources are, by regulation, designed to be non-interchangeable, it would not be possible for an HID headlamp conversion set to meet the standard�s photometry requirements for an original equipment headlamp system using a halogen light source"

Tyler

2014-2015 have a projector housing, I thought? It’s not going to look terrible like these kids who put HIDS in 2007 Chevy Tahoes & Silverados with light scattering EVERYWHERE.

I am dead set on the all terrain because of paint matched bumpers, the gauge cluster and interior trim and the wheels. I have never spent more than 20k on a vehicle so if I get something I want it to be something I am going to want.

I have searched and searched. Where can I find exactly the options that the all terrain is? And the z71?

this truck is all terrain and z71... which is kind of confusing? 

2 hours ago, amxguy1970 said:

Tyler

Every single aftermarket HID kit is illegal even if the vehicle has factory HID's. That's in those regulations. All of em. Read into it. Or Google it. Now unless you have put HID's in that housing you don't know what you are talking about. I have and I guarantee that anyone that has a 14/15 reflector housing and HID's in them will tell you the same thing. These buckets just have the right curve and there is a definitive cutoff and no scatting. It works in these housings. Most don't work but these do. I have never gotten flashed by anyone when I run them. I change headlight housings a lot and have some experience with other housings too. I am over on SS.com and have a build thread if your interested. I am Rambodog. Looks like the Build thread over here is locked.

"

HID Kits: Are they Legal?

The short answer is: NO. HID Kits are not legal.

The long answer is this: NHTSA (National Highway Traffic and Safety Administration) has ruled that HID conversion kits are not only undoubtedly unsafe, but also illegal. People who I have personally talked to have received fines upward of $250 for their use of an illegal modification. They are not DOT approved, and are specifically sold as “for off-road use only.”

While your local police officers may not pull you over for having illegal HID bulbs in your car, they may be more than happy to tack on a fine if they have reason to pull you over for something else or if you’re unlucky to catch an officer who is having a bad day or needs to meet a quota".

Sources:

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/rulings/glare.html

36 minutes ago, 99Mastercraft said:

2014-2015 have a projector housing, I thought? It’s not going to look terrible like these kids who put HIDS in 2007 Chevy Tahoes & Silverados with light scattering EVERYWHERE.

I am dead set on the all terrain because of paint matched bumpers, the gauge cluster and interior trim and the wheels. I have never spent more than 20k on a vehicle so if I get something I want it to be something I am going to want.

I have searched and searched. Where can I find exactly the options that the all terrain is? And the z71?

Good luck finding the exact truck that you want. You may be lucky!  Keep reading this forum while you continue to search for the perfect match as you will find that the "must haves" you have listed can be done "after market".  

3 hours ago, 99Mastercraft said:

Z71® Off-Road Package

Includes:

• Z71® Suspension  (ie Rancho shocks/struts) 
  • Z71 specific skid plates (fronts still plastic if want metal have to upgrade)
  • Z71-specific 18" wheels and Off-Road tires (All Terrain wheels are different)
  • Z71-specific grille design (cosmetic only)
  • Z71-specific running boards 
  • Fog lamps (most other packages/trim levels get these anyway)
  • Front and Rear Park Assist1  (comes on other packages/trim levels)
  • Black Recovery hooks  (any 4x4 gets these, 2wd Z71 only get them)
  • Z71-specific front sill plates (cosmetic only)
  • 3.42 Rear axle ( option on all 5.3L trucks except tow pack/tow pack only 6.2L)
  • 2-speed transfer case 
  • Z71-specific rubber floor mats with logo (oh boy...)
  • Decal on cluster (different on A/T) ,pillar and liftgate badge (cosmetic only)
  • Hill decent control (low speed cruise control down hill)
  • High-capacity air cleaner (they are all the same replacement filter now)
. 1 Safety features are no substitute for the driver’s responsibility to operate the vehicle in a safe manner. The driver should remain attentive to traffic, surroundings and road conditions at all times.  Read the vehicle’s owner’s manual for more important safety information.

If you scroll down on this link you’ll find the description of the All-Terrain package this is the info for a 2016 not sure if a 14 would have the bed liner or not? Otherwise it should all be the same info. As stated in addition to the Z71 options. Basically different wheels, color matched exterior, different badging exterior/cluster/sills, and auto dim mirror on a SLE.

http://media.gmc.com/media/us/en/gmc/vehicles/sierra/2016.html

16 hours ago, Rambodog said:

Make sure to test drive them to 80 to be sure you aren't getting one with the shakes. The 2014 halogen reflectors do exceptionally well with HID's and have enough of a visible cutoff to aim the height well also.

FYI: All K2 GMC Sierra's have projectors.... 14-15 LT and lower trim silverado's have reflectors.... The 14-15 GMC's were not up to snuff for me and it was one of the reasons I traded mine in... If I had kept it I would be running HID's.... I would agree with others - putting HID's in reflector housings is an A-hole move and could get you pulled over by the 5-0..

Archived