In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  
LadyStrantz

New from Michigan, and PLEASE HELP! 2011 2.4 engine swap to newer model year

Hello!  I am a new member from Michigan.  I am pretty sure I have another account on this forum, but it's been a few years since I last logged in, and my email has changed, so I can't get into it.  My former screen name was Pinky.  :)

I came to this forum several years ago prior to having the drive train swapped from my '93 Suburban 2500 to my '94.  I got a lot of great advice & information here, and everything worked out well with that project. I have returned because I have a specific repair challenge, and I'm hoping that I can get some answers once again.

My current challenge involves a (piece of junk) 2011 Chevy Equinox 2.4 liter (Ecotec).  The engine is shot due to the excessive oil consumption issues that is very common with this vehicle.  We would like to avoid encountering the same problem, once we replace the engine, so we'd like to find out what would be involved with retrofitting an engine from a newer model year that doesn't have this same issue.  I spoke with a parts supplier who recommended trying to find out if it's possible to retrofit even a 2015 or 2016 into this vehicle.  I know this involves changing additional parts that would not be required if we just did a direct swap, but we want to get away from the years that this engine had this problem.

I just do not want to end up with an eternally on CEL because of incompatible emissions, etc... Lol.  So, we need to make sure we do this correctly.

My Equinox does NOT have the AUA option, was manufactured on 3/18/11, and has K as the 8th digit of the VIN.

Please give me any info and suggestions you can provide.  It's much appreciated!

(We still owe on this vehicle, which is why we're putting time, $, and effort into repairing it.  So, while setting it on fire or pushing it off a cliff have definitely crossed our minds, neither seems to be a viable option. LOL.)

Edited by LadyStrantz
Needed to add more info

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Mfsr2005
      My truck has 131K miles on it. After an oil change by the dealership. I started the truck the next day and noticed a very loud squeal from the engine. It goes away after about 20 secs. But if i drive and give it a good acceleration, you hear the squeal around 3500 to 4500 RMP.
      Movie 3_2.mp4
    • By CremeSierra
      Currently working on a 6.0L V8 (2000 LQ9 I believe) and cannot seem to locate the PCV valve and hose (see image for reference).

I was under the impression that they weren’t integrated into the valve cover until around 2005. The body of this truck is a 2000 Sierra 1500 but the engine was replaced from the 4.8 to the 6.0 at some point so I’m guessing for a lot of the component locations.

First time poster, any helps appreciated.

• By Christopher Root
      I'm trying to update an old 51 pickup that hasn't run in years. What's the most affordable way to put a newer engine in it?  I was thinking something like a small block, but I'm out of my depth. 
      The end goal is a dessert runner, mild offroad capability. 
    • By Cschwartz
      While driving my 2014 Silverado, I never have a problem if I accelerate quickly. However, there has been skipping/sputtering when I coast or slowly accelerate. This is not a clicking, loud knocking sound like I see most describe on here... Anyone have any idea what it could be?  Thanks in advance! If needed I can try and video the sound later on today.
    • By EDeller
      On Sunday March 8th I was driving my Sierra home from my parents-in law. I pulled out from a stop sign and was just getting up to speed when there was a loud bang followed by loss of power, Loud ticking noise,  vibrations and a sulfur smell coming from the exhaust. I knew this was lifters instantly as it Happened to me in August of 2018, a short 11,000 miles ago. So, I took it in to my dealer who ran diagnostics and gave me the news That I would need lifters replaced yet again. Unfortunately, my power train warranty ran out December of 2019, so they told me I would owe a balance of $2900+ tax. Of course I was very upset with this news as I would have imagined the dealer would talk to GM and get this issue sorted out.. I mean it was only a few months over a year and less than 11,000 miles since they replacedall of the lifters and the cam shaft. I contacted GM myself and over the course of the last week have been working with the dealer and trying to talk to someone at GM who could help. Finally I reached a “senior analyst” who is apparently the top tier of customer assistance and she told me there was absolutely nothing they can do and I am responsible for the entire bill. I insisted that GM must know about the issues this engine has By now and should acknowledge and help their clients, but she offered no help.

How can I trust this engine again? I have read many posts people have put on this forum alone with this issue of failing lifters. How can anyone be expected to pay this much for an issue that is derived likely from GMs design of the afm system? Especially after we pay $50,000+ for the truck to begin with! I do not pretend to be an Mechanical or financial expert,  but I feel I have been severely wronged in this situation. I have no choice but to eat this cost and sell the truck before the lifters have a chance to fail again.

I would suggest anyone doing research considering buying one of these trucks (I believe Sierra and Silverado 14-18 at least) that has the active fuel management system to rethink it. I would also go out on a limb and suggest my friends with 14-15 year Silverado and Sierras (with expired powertrain warranty’s) to consider selling them before the lifters fail on yours and you are stuck with a $3000-$5000 bill. Good luck all.