2019 Engine HP/TQ guesses? 5.3

I believe the motivation to produce the most appeal to the largest number of consumers is the goal of all manufacturers.  When a manufacturer stops producing a particular model or component that I really liked I attribute this to the broader market not sharing my preferences.  Personally, I am very surprised that GM is keeping the V8's and not focusing on V6's like Ford.  I still am very curious how anyone is going to be able to take advantage of increased horsepower with DFM architecture.   If cylinder activation is going to be dependent on need, then the joy of V8 ownership will be realized only under extreme conditions.  I wonder what they will sound like at idle? 

Is DFM going to be active at idle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

45 minutes ago, Loco-diablo said:

Is DFM going to be active at idle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha... Come to think of it - will it even idle? (Start/Stop tech)  I understand DFM to be quite different than AFM.  Your truck will run on any number of cylinders, not just 4 or 8.  I think we will have all kinds of interesting new sounds!

8 hours ago, Donstar said:

Haha... Come to think of it - will it even idle? (Start/Stop tech)  I understand DFM to be quite different than AFM.  Your truck will run on any number of cylinders, not just 4 or 8.  I think we will have all kinds of interesting new sounds!

Start/stop is one technology I want no part of. I'm not interested in saving a few sips of gas at the expense of the starter/battery. The Wife's Volvo has it. I disable it when I take the car.

DFM will be interesting for sure. I'm not sure that I'd like to be part of the 'DFM Experiment' on the first iteration.! LOL! 

Many members can relate to the major changes over the years to the home computer.  Many of the terms/comparisons that were once significant are typically no longer asked.  (Floppy discs, green , amber or paper white screen -Your monthly internet access was measured by the number of minutes in a month!)   I think the same about hp/tq.  I believe we are reaching a point where discussions will focus more on how and when power will be distributed.  Of course, car manufacturers appreciate we need to be eased into change but I believe we are in for some significantly new ways of talking about powertrain.  

20 hours ago, Donstar said:

I believe the motivation to produce the most appeal to the largest number of consumers is the goal of all manufacturers.  When a manufacturer stops producing a particular model or component that I really liked I attribute this to the broader market not sharing my preferences.  Personally, I am very surprised that GM is keeping the V8's and not focusing on V6's like Ford.  I still am very curious how anyone is going to be able to take advantage of increased horsepower with DFM architecture.   If cylinder activation is going to be dependent on need, then the joy of V8 ownership will be realized only under extreme conditions.  I wonder what they will sound like at idle? 

They are offering 5.3 /8 speed for the common trucks and a optional 6.2/10 speed for Ltz/Slt trucks.  The only reason for this is to push people into higer tier trucks.  Ford allows just about every engine with the 10 speed in every trim.  

GM is saying they're willing to lose sales for the sake of turning some sales from a LT/SLE into a higher trim and therefore higher transaction prices.  This really upsets me and makes it obvious why they're losing market share.  

A LTZ and SLT should offer a compelling enough product to not have to manipulate people into buying it.  This attitude of GMs is far and away the most frustrating part if the brand.  

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, shift_grind said:

They are offering 5.3 /8 speed for the common trucks and a optional 6.2/10 speed for Ltz/Slt trucks.  The only reason for this is to push people into higer tier trucks.  Ford allows just about every engine with the 10 speed in every trim.  

GM is saying they're willing to lose sales for the sake of turning some sales from a LT/SLE into a higher trim and therefore higher transaction prices.  This really upsets me and makes it obvious why they're losing market share.  

A LTZ and SLT should offer a compelling enough product to not have to manipulate people into buying it.  This attitude of GMs is far and away the most frustrating part if the brand.  

I understand your frustration, but I'm sure their marketing plan isn't to reduce sales.  Their reasoning (I'm guessing) is that consumers looking for basic trucks are looking for basic engine and transmission combinations.  The opposite applies to those looking for higher end trucks.  My preference has always been for base motor/trans in a well optioned truck.  This last time around for me I was able to find a 6 cylinder 6 spd SLE with all available options including leather.  I am disappointed at the prospect of a V8 potentially becoming the base motor for SLE and above but I understand it isn't profitable to produce unpopular combinations.

36 minutes ago, Donstar said:

I understand your frustration, but I'm sure their marketing plan isn't to reduce sales.  Their reasoning (I'm guessing) is that consumers looking for basic trucks are looking for basic engine and transmission combinations.  The opposite applies to those looking for higher end trucks.  My preference has always been for base motor/trans in a well optioned truck.  This last time around for me I was able to find a 6 cylinder 6 spd SLE with all available options including leather.  I am disappointed at the prospect of a V8 potentially becoming the base motor for SLE and above but I understand it isn't profitable to produce unpopular combinations.

They're either telling people what they want and not listening or caring what many customers want or prioritizing ATPs over sales numbers.  Perhaps a mix of both.  

I and many others want a LT level truck, cloth and a 6.2 in a crew cab.  Since the new trucks allow for bigger tires I want to see more aggressive gears too. 

Ford allows you to build their version of that setup and they sell a lot of them.  

32 minutes ago, shift_grind said:

They're either telling people what they want and not listening or caring what many customers want or prioritizing ATPs over sales numbers.  Perhaps a mix of both.  

I and many others want a LT level truck, cloth and a 6.2 in a crew cab.  Since the new trucks allow for bigger tires I want to see more aggressive gears too. 

Ford allows you to build their version of that setup and they sell a lot of them.  

Yes, you and the many others probably aren't a huge number according to GM.   I know many of us were upset when GM systematically phased out the manual transmission but their response was always about poor sales. (Manuals also hurt EPA targets)  If Ford offered a decent trim level 4X4 crew with a six cylinder manual, I'd be driving a Ford. 

Some say they can't offer 6.2 because of fuel mileage standards. I call bullshit on that as it gets about the same as the 5.3. Also how come the other mfg's let you pick any engine in any model including regular cabs. Think about it they get no better mileage than GM trucks and maybe a little less lol. And on top of that they offer more gear ratio options.

37 minutes ago, Donstar said:

Yes, you and the many others probably aren't a huge number according to GM.   I know many of us were upset when GM systematically phased out the manual transmission but their response was always about poor sales. (Manuals also hurt EPA targets)  If Ford offered a decent trim level 4X4 crew with a six cylinder manual, I'd be driving a Ford. 

Dropping the manual saves money because they no longer have to build and service that transmission along with the hundreds and hundreds of other components that go along with it.  

Not allowing people to configure the truck they want it in a effort to force them into a higher trim is completely different.  

I don't say this to sound condescending at all, but it sounds like you work for GM!  I assure you the people that want a LT/ SLE 6.2 truck may not be the majority, but they are a large amount if people  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shift_grind said:

Dropping the manual saves money because they no longer have to build and service that transmission along with the hundreds and hundreds of other components that go along with it.  

Not allowing people to configure the truck they want it in a effort to force them into a higher trim is completely different.  

I don't say this to sound condescending at all, but it sounds like you work for GM!  I assure you the people that want a LT/ SLE 6.2 truck may not be the majority, but they are a large amount if people  

No concerns from me and I enjoy the discussion.  I don't work for GM but I defend my choice of vehicles.  If I preferred another brand or trim level, I'd have chosen differently.  I like the SLT but a V6 isn't included in this trim level.    I was able to find a SLE with most of the options and the engine I wanted.  Just like you, I find engine choice important.  I accept that  I may have to give up or add features to get this engine or other desired features.  BTW GM did produce this generation of trucks with a manual transmission but did not offer/allow in US or Canada.

54 minutes ago, Donstar said:

No concerns from me and I enjoy the discussion.  I don't work for GM but I defend my choice of vehicles.  If I preferred another brand or trim level, I'd have chosen differently.  I like the SLT but a V6 isn't included in this trim level.    I was able to find a SLE with most of the options and the engine I wanted.  Just like you, I find engine choice important.  I accept that  I may have to give up or add features to get this engine or other desired features.  BTW GM did produce this generation of trucks with a manual transmission but did not offer/allow in US or Canada.

No kiding? I didn't know they offered the K2xx with a manual.  What was the setup? 

We know about 3 engine/combos right now and GM said they would offer 6 combos.  I thought for sure the 5.3 would be a 10 speed in top trims and 8 in lower trims, but it sounds like they will be 8 speeds across the board.  That means there are potentially 2 more engines yet to be unveiled.  They will offer something smaller and more of a gas sipper than the 5.3, hopefully we find out soon.

Perhaps they are giving up and doing a boosted 6 too, but I still want my big ol v8.

I have a feeling that the engine and HP options that will be offered will not be very appealing to many on here, at least at first?  Just a feeling I have. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, shift_grind said:

No kiding? I didn't know they offered the K2xx with a manual.  What was the setup? 

The base model V6 in Mexico was paired with a 5 spd. manual.  The truck carried the name Cheyenne.