2019 Engine HP/TQ guesses? 5.3

5 hours ago, Colossus said:

I have a feeling that the engine and HP options that will be offered will not be very appealing to many on here, at least at first?  Just a feeling I have. 

I agree. I think many of us are in for an adjustment on how we talk about our truck's prowess!

13 hours ago, shift_grind said:

No kiding? I didn't know they offered the K2xx with a manual.  What was the setup? 

We know about 3 engine/combos right now and GM said they would offer 6 combos.  I thought for sure the 5.3 would be a 10 speed in top trims and 8 in lower trims, but it sounds like they will be 8 speeds across the board.  That means there are potentially 2 more engines yet to be unveiled.  They will offer something smaller and more of a gas sipper than the 5.3, hopefully we find out soon.

Perhaps they are giving up and doing a boosted 6 too, but I still want my big ol v8.

I wouldn’t count out the 10 spd for the 5.3 in the LTZ and the high country. That would bring the powertrain combinations to 4. We have 3 now, the diesel with the 10 spd, the 6.2 with the 10 spd and the 5.3 with the 8 spd. 

Then one more engine that uses the 8 spd and the 10 spd then you have your 6 combinations. Highly doubt there will be 2 more engine choices. Either gonna be the turbo 4cyl that has been rumored or a V6 either with a turbo or not. 

8 hours ago, Jeffro19 said:

I wouldn’t count out the 10 spd for the 5.3 in the LTZ and the high country. That would bring the powertrain combinations to 4. We have 3 now, the diesel with the 10 spd, the 6.2 with the 10 spd and the 5.3 with the 8 spd. 

Then one more engine that uses the 8 spd and the 10 spd then you have your 6 combinations. Highly doubt there will be 2 more engine choices. Either gonna be the turbo 4cyl that has been rumored or a V6 either with a turbo or not. 

I'd originally thought the 5.3 would have the 10 speed in top trims but they specifically have said 5.3 8 speed and 6.2/3.0 in 10 speed.  

There will be some sort of hybrid / electric setup, perhaps like an advanced version of the currently available e-assist and some sort or base engine, either a turbo 4 or a 6 cylinder.  

On 4/10/2018 at 11:47 AM, crushNchowda said:

Oh you mean like the 365 lb/ft the LS1 had in my GTO? Oops - that's lower than what the new 5.3 ecotec is rated :P

The 5.3 is DI & can absolutely be tuned for more power than it originally debuted w/  - I would imagine we will see bumps in power for the entire lineup moving forward to keep pace w/ the competition from Dodge/Ford

That was back in 2004 when the 5.3 was 295 hp and 335 torque. The GTO was 350 hp 365 torque and the LS6 5.7 vette engine was 405 hp and 400 torque. What would the 5.7 do with DI? I also had a 2001 camaro ss and on a highway trip i was able to get 30 mpg. THe 5.3 is a good engine but the 5.7 would better in every way.

If it’s similar to the intro of the 2014 redesign then the engine specs will be out a few weeks prior to retail orders.  GM trickles info out to build up the hype and get some free advertising. 

Pricing was available when I ordered mine the first week that retail orders became available. There was about two weeks before that a dealer could order for you blind without pricing but the orders were in limbo, not accepted by GM. That’s my recollection of how it worked. 

Here is to 400/400.  This is where the competition is at for 5 liter V8s

but because the truck is overall lighter I don’t see that happening. More like 375/400.  Would be more like it. 

On 4/13/2018 at 7:37 AM, Gagliano7 said:

That was back in 2004 when the 5.3 was 295 hp and 335 torque. The GTO was 350 hp 365 torque and the LS6 5.7 vette engine was 405 hp and 400 torque. What would the 5.7 do with DI? I also had a 2001 camaro ss and on a highway trip i was able to get 30 mpg. THe 5.3 is a good engine but the 5.7 would better in every way.

There's no replacement for displacement......kinda sorta, need I remind everyone what the measly Ford *gasp* 5.0 can make for power? 460hp/420tq.....and its actually 4.95 liters, & w/ a minor bore & stroke to just under 5.2 liters they're pumping out 526hp/429tq - & while those are the numbers made in "mustang form" the displacement is what we're discussing here right? Your MPG's mean nothing my 450whp cammed C5Z gets 27hwy too, but it weighs 3080 lbs !!!!! apples to oranges

So do you still think 5.3 liters is "too small"? If so, wtf is wrong w/ GM's fabled 7.0 nearly TWO MORE LITERS of displacement & it barely beats out Ford's 5.2 in tq & gives up 21hp, AND speaking of that, how about the 6.2 ecotec V8's getting matched in power & torque by a 4.95 liter motor?

3 hours ago, crushNchowda said:

There's no replacement for displacement......kinda sorta, need I remind everyone what the measly Ford *gasp* 5.0 can make for power? 460hp/420tq.....and its actually 4.95 liters, & w/ a minor bore & stroke to just under 5.2 liters they're pumping out 526hp/429tq - & while those are the numbers made in "mustang form" the displacement is what we're discussing here right? Your MPG's mean nothing my 450whp cammed C5Z gets 27hwy too, but it weighs 3080 lbs !!!!! apples to oranges

So do you still think 5.3 liters is "too small"? If so, wtf is wrong w/ GM's fabled 7.0 nearly TWO MORE LITERS of displacement & it barely beats out Ford's 5.2 in tq & gives up 21hp, AND speaking of that, how about the 6.2 ecotec V8's getting matched in power & torque by a 4.95 liter motor?

The 460hp/420hp version is actually 5.04L as they changed the engine for 2018.  Ford doesn't use this in a truck because it's not a good fit.

The version they see fit for truck duty makes 395hp/400tq.  And the 5.2 is a completely different engine than the 5.0 using a flat plane crank and makes NO low end torque, not even for the GT350.  It makes that insane hp because it can spin up to 8250 rpm.  HP is a function of torque and RPM, so one way to make more HP is to make power and higher rpms.  

Can you tell me how the 5.04L making 420tq is matching a truck engine making 460tq?  To be more accurate, how is the Ford truck 5L making 400tq matching the GM Truck 6.2L 460tq?  That's 60 ft lbs of torque difference.

Can you tell me how that's at all relevant to a truck engine?

Edited by shift_grind

5 hours ago, shift_grind said:

The 460hp/420hp version is actually 5.04L as they changed the engine for 2018.  Ford doesn't use this in a truck because it's not a good fit.

The version they see fit for truck duty makes 395hp/400tq.  And the 5.2 is a completely different engine than the 5.0 using a flat plane crank and makes NO low end torque, not even for the GT350.  It makes that insane hp because it can spin up to 8250 rpm.  HP is a function of torque and RPM, so one way to make more HP is to make power and higher rpms.  

Can you tell me how the 5.04L making 420tq is matching a truck engine making 460tq?  To be more accurate, how is the Ford truck 5L making 400tq matching the GM Truck 6.2L 460tq?  That's 60 ft lbs of torque difference.

Can you tell me how that's at all relevant to a truck engine?

Topic seemed to be that GM needed added displacement to make power....first of all, you can't seriously believe that the "truck engine" 5.0 is so much different than the 5.0 in the mustang right? Its all ECM tuning for the power figures, DOHC flat pane or SOHC pushrod - we were talking displacement, no? No FI, all motor, Ford makes "smaller" engines (not architecturally - they're actually much bigger than GM smallblocks) that make more power - not just per liter - more power period. I've owned multiple GM V8 vehicles, I currently own (IMO) arguably the best bang for the buck performance car they've ever produced (and inarguably the most bullet proof/reliable) - believe me, I'm no Ford fanboy.....but a GM koolaid drinker I am not.

A question to make everyone's eyes roll...Do you think a hybrid engine option will be available? Didn't GM state there would be six engine options? So 5.3, 6.2, Deisel....what would the other options be?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, BigZed said:

A question to make everyone's eyes roll...Do you think a hybrid engine option will be available? Didn't GM state there would be six engine options? So 5.3, 6.2, Deisel....what would the other options be?

Does not make mine Roll?  I would be interested and hope GM takes the last Silverado Eassist and ups the game even more.  Similar to Rams but even more robust getting the 5.3L up to 400Hp/420tq and 25 mpg's I could do that any day of the week.  I also hope it's the last of 12V batteries starting with this big slug too!  Done with that crap...Lead Acid too? See Ya!

6 hours ago, crushNchowda said:

Topic seemed to be that GM needed added displacement to make power....first of all, you can't seriously believe that the "truck engine" 5.0 is so much different than the 5.0 in the mustang right? Its all ECM tuning for the power figures, DOHC flat pane or SOHC pushrod - we were talking displacement, no? No FI, all motor, Ford makes "smaller" engines (not architecturally - they're actually much bigger than GM smallblocks) that make more power - not just per liter - more power period. I've owned multiple GM V8 vehicles, I currently own (IMO) arguably the best bang for the buck performance car they've ever produced (and inarguably the most bullet proof/reliable) - believe me, I'm no Ford fanboy.....but a GM koolaid drinker I am not.

And adding more displacement will make the 5.3 more powerful.

Yes, I believe the "truck engine" 5.0 is a bit different as it has different use requirements.  Different exhaust manifolds, intake manifold, lower compression and different cams.  All tuned for lower rpm power were the differences up to the new 2018, but I haven't seen a lot of info on the 2018 engines.  I know both use the same compression ratio now. 

Do you really think you could throw 1500lbs in a Mustang and then 12000lbs behind it and not have the engine knock like crazy in its present 460hp setup?  I promise you it will.  That's not to discredit the 5.0, it seems like a fine engine since the 2018 update, but I haven't driven one of the 18+'s.   I know the pre 2018's were very soft in the torque department and were not even in the same ballpark as the 6.2.  I imagine it now slots in very nicely between the 5.3 and 6.2 for performance.

Don't get defensive because all your facts were inaccurate and your point was irrelevant.

3 hours ago, BigZed said:

No they said 6 different powertrain combinations. So probably one more engine option left.