2019 Engine HP/TQ guesses? 5.3

Ok thanks for the clarification.  I too would like a hybrid as long as it could pull my boat which is approximately 5000 lbs loaded. Which wouldn't be too much to ask.

On 4/18/2018 at 10:52 AM, shift_grind said:

And adding more displacement will make the 5.3 more powerful.

Yes, I believe the "truck engine" 5.0 is a bit different as it has different use requirements.  Different exhaust manifolds, intake manifold, lower compression and different cams.  All tuned for lower rpm power were the differences up to the new 2018, but I haven't seen a lot of info on the 2018 engines.  I know both use the same compression ratio now. 

Do you really think you could throw 1500lbs in a Mustang and then 12000lbs behind it and not have the engine knock like crazy in its present 460hp setup?  I promise you it will.  That's not to discredit the 5.0, it seems like a fine engine since the 2018 update, but I haven't driven one of the 18+'s.   I know the pre 2018's were very soft in the torque department and were not even in the same ballpark as the 6.2.  I imagine it now slots in very nicely between the 5.3 and 6.2 for performance.

Don't get defensive because all your facts were inaccurate and your point was irrelevant.

You can disagree without being rude. 

A turbo does change the old the old adage about  “no replacement for displacement”.  I have a tuned 6.2 Denali and an Audi with a turbo 3.0 making 100 less HP.  I have towed about 3000 lbs with both longer trips in mountainous terrain. The smaller Audi actually performs better with much better economy. No it won’t pull 12,000 lbs but my truck won’t either, you need the max tow package for that. I have towed 8000-9000 with my 6.2 and it works but not well.  

A 3 liter engine wouldn’t tow 12,000 but that’s not my point. A smaller turbo can be designed to work as well as a larger block engine and with a 10 speed tranny, the right chassis and cooling I don’t see a problem. A lot of us run at altitude and a Turbo doesn’t lose HP as the air thins.  Towing is all about torque and if you are towing a lot of weight you need a diesel not a gas engine.

We may never get past measuring the beauty of our trucks by the hp rating.  The higher the number, the more capable the truck.  This may be true when all other variables are the same and the potential need exists but I can't imagine where this could ever occur except on a race track.  I would like to hear more about the potential impact of DFM on horsepower and torque.  If GM has introduced a way to deliver hp on an as need basis, why/when do you care for 300+ hp?  It's like driving around with a speedometer that reads 200 mph.  

The masses care about HP. In most ads HP ratings and performance is near the top in mentioned ads. People don’t realize adding gears in the transmission does just as much as HP as far as performance. I’d rather see a smaller V8 turbo than cylinder deactivation. I never thought I see the day where a reg truck could do 0-60 in 5 seconds. Same with the performance of 4-6cylinders while getting the fuel mileage they do. All the mods I did in the 80-2000s I never thought I would say good enough like I do today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Ron.s said:

A turbo does change the old the old adage about  “no replacement for displacement”.  I have a tuned 6.2 Denali and an Audi with a turbo 3.0 making 100 less HP.  I have towed about 3000 lbs with both longer trips in mountainous terrain. The smaller Audi actually performs better with much better economy. No it won’t pull 12,000 lbs but my truck won’t either, you need the max tow package for that. I have towed 8000-9000 with my 6.2 and it works but not well.  

A 3 liter engine wouldn’t tow 12,000 but that’s not my point. A smaller turbo can be designed to work as well as a larger block engine and with a 10 speed tranny, the right chassis and cooling I don’t see a problem. A lot of us run at altitude and a Turbo doesn’t lose HP as the air thins.  Towing is all about torque and if you are towing a lot of weight you need a diesel not a gas engine.

I'm confused as I was not being rude.  I corrected his incorrect facts and he got defensive and rude about it, so I said you don't need to get defensive, and that's in turn, rude?  I don't agree with that.

The discussion was not about the Ecoboost or turbo engines, it was about Fords 5L v8 making 460hp and GM's 5.3 only making 355hp which I stand by my original statement of apples to oranges.  One is tuned for a car running premium gas and one is for a truck running 87 octane and a tow rating of around 12k lbs.  It's irrelevant. 

My dealer told me 85% of the trucks he sells never see a plow, most of them he says never go off road. I asked him about towing and he said probably more than half truck owners don;t even have a camper to tow. If he is anywhere near correct then without doubt there could be a market for a small turbo model if gm choses or any mfg  I suppose. 

Turbo engines lose power at altitude just not as bad as NA engines...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m shocked that the power ratings stayed the same. I know it will be 450 lbs lighter in some models. Then the 6.2 goes down 10 lbs of tq down to 450? Then you have to get 4wd to even get the 6.2? Disappointing. 

• Like 1