In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Hey there I am a proud owner of a 2016 Chevrolet Silverado. The issues I wanted to discuss is the new technology in the truck. What I'm referring to is the E assist system. Only 500 of these were released in California, I own one and love my truck but I believe this system is making the truck drive weird. I'm not sure if it's because it's trying to improve fuel economy or just faulty but when I am coming to a stop I can feel a clunk almost like I was rear ended, I can also feel it when taking off and it's annoying. I wanted to see if any of you have had similar problems in your truck and any advise you had or your experience. I brought this issue to the dealer twice and both times they found issues but none with the e assist system or transmission they claim. I have posted a link to a video of what happened on my last experience to my local dealer. Thanks for any help.

Hey there I am a proud owner of a 2016 Chevrolet Silverado. The issues I wanted to discuss is the new technology in the truck. What I'm referring to is the E assist system. Only 500 of these were released in California, I own one and love my truck but I believe this system is making the truck drive weird. I'm not sure if it's because it's trying to improve fuel economy or just faulty but when I am coming to a stop I can feel a clunk almost like I was rear ended, I can also feel it when taking off and it's annoying. I wanted to see if any of you have had similar problems in your truck and any advise you had or your experience. I brought this issue to the dealer twice and both times they found issues but none with the e assist system or transmission they claim. I have posted a link to a video of what happened on my last experience to my local dealer. Thanks for any help.

How long have you had it? Have you looked up the transmission problems with all 2014-2018 Gm trucks?

Also WTF did I just watch? Was expecting a video of you showing the truck’s problems, not just a 2.5 minute selfie speech on why you’re frustrated. Forums aren’t the best for venting your problems, but they can definitely help you find a solution if you can give us more info.

Yes, GM only released a small amount of 2016 e assist models. But 2017+ they have made a ton more compared to 2016. This technology is in all of the new model Silverado/Sierra coming out in 2019 as well. So don’t really get that statement about 500 being made in 2016.

I’ve got heavier tires, aftermarket wheels, aftermarket suspension, aftermarket exhaust, you name it. My 2017 E-Assist drives super clean, but all 2014-2018 GM trucks get the occasional clunk.
  • Like 1

Thanks for the reply @ChevyRoofer I have had the truck since 2016 and bought the truck new. The statement of the 500 was because when they first released it these were one of those 500 and I'm not sure if they have improved the technology since then ghttp://media.chevrolet.com/media/us/en/chevrolet/news.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2016/feb/0225-silverado-eAssist.html I am glad to hear your truck is running smooth I also brought up transmission to dealer many times and they say both that and e assist are in perfect condition. I will try to get a video up in a day or two of me driving it so you can hear what I am talking about hard to convey with words but hopefully with the video you may have some input that could help me resolve this also sounds like you have an awesome truck I'll have to check out your page to see if you have pictures up. In addition sorry for the frustration video 

Edited by Shawnslife

Hmm.. I just watched my first video on Silverado with e-assist.

Do you guys like it? 

Can you disable the start/stop feature? What are you getting for mileage? How much does Chevy charge for e-assist feature?

Sorry for all the questions, LOL!

• Like 1

Check your spare to make sure it’s snug. I had a 99 Tahoe that would do this and it was the spare bouncing back n forth

Will do that today you are the first person to suggest this and it makes a lot of sense will let you know results 

@Loco-diablo ithasits pros and cons , you can't disable the feature without a tune I believe , it's rated 18 city and 24 highway but I can get up to 28 or 29 mpg  on the highway. And in the city it really depends on driving style and traffic, as far as price it's only a $500.00 add on 

I have had 2- 6 speeds and 2- 8 speeds in this new platform. The first three all had some trans issue, clunking, bad shifting, TC, delayed engagement. My 2017 8 speed is by far the best with no "real" issue. Programming is greatly improved and is a much a better trans. BUT all of them have had the off the gas coming to a stop bang like you just got rear ended. Again the 2017 is much better but the prior 3 were much worse. GM has lousy programming although it has improved from 2014. I think it's a characteristic of the trans and their programming. 

• Like 1

[mention=129643]seamus2154[/mention] I wonder if a tune would help the issue of their bad programming 

I’ve been told by BlackBear they cannot tune the e-assists. Haven’t asked anyone else and haven’t asked about a 2016.
  • Like 1

BBP can tune the engine but not the 8 speed. GM locked down the TCM on the 8 speed and it hasn’t been unlocked by a tuner *yet*

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 2009GMC said:

BBP can tune the engine but not the 8 speed. GM locked down the TCM on the 8 speed and it hasn’t been unlocked by a tuner *yet*

I have been told the same thing by several people since 2014.  But I think that has changed recently. I had a 2015 with 100k warranty so wasn't considering it and now my 2017 is pretty damn good by comparison so i am leaving it alone, although not perfect it's really good.  

• Like 1

On 4/12/2018 at 6:29 AM, Loco-diablo said:

Hmm.. I just watched my first video on Silverado with e-assist.

Do you guys like it? 

Can you disable the start/stop feature? What are you getting for mileage? How much does Chevy charge for e-assist feature?

Sorry for all the questions, LOL!

I just posted a video on how to turn it off here's the link https://youtu.be/AgKYkOEgXek

Just purchased a new truck, the dealer had trucks with the Eassist, the price on the sticker for this option, was $2500.00.   I went with a regular truck, when the salesman could not properly explain the system, to my satisfaction.

The 8 speed trans clunk feeling is a known issue to GM aswell as there is an active bulletin retaining to the issue. The solution to this problem only fix's the 8 speeds and is a trans service. Drain the dexron ATF, change filters, and fill with Mobil 1 full synth ATF as well as a trans reprogram. My truck has had this issue for 30,000km as I was trying to see if it was just trying to learn and "break in". If your still covered by warranty go and get it checked out!