Stupid question about height

If I measure both front wheel wells to the ground (ground to top of wheel well), should it be the same for both front wheels even if the pavement is uneven?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eh... That's kinda a tricky question. Yes and no. In theory if there were no weight then yes... But if the truck is leaning then it is going to add extra weight to that wheel area (shock spring ect) and is going to cause it to be lower. In theory... Yes unless your ride height is off.

Eh... That's kinda a tricky question. Yes and no. In theory if there were no weight then yes... But if the truck is leaning then it is going to add extra weight to that wheel area (shock spring ect) and is going to cause it to be lower. In theory... Yes unless your ride height is off.

That is what I’m trying to determine. I think my ride height is off.

It appears that my truck is about 2” higher on the passenger side. How do I level it out to get rid of the lean. Do I need to replace the coil spring and rear spring leaf on the drivers side?

Almost all parking lots have a slight slope for drainage.

To be absolutely sure measure one side. Then turn truck around and measure other side to account for parking lot slope.

My 97 is maybe 1/2” of from driver to passenger due to my garage. Garage looks level but when you put a level on floor it’s got a slight slope.

If your truck is off more than an 1” or you can noticeably see it then you can crank a torsion bar up in half turn increments to level.

No adjustment in rear.

Gas tank on drivers side only so if you have a full 26 gal it might lean a bit on that side

Almost all parking lots have a slight slope for drainage.

To be absolutely sure measure one side. Then turn truck around and measure other side to account for parking lot slope.

My 97 is maybe 1/2” of from driver to passenger due to my garage. Garage looks level but when you put a level on floor it’s got a slight slope.

If your truck is off more than an 1” or you can noticeably see it then you can crank a torsion bar up in half turn increments to level.

No adjustment in rear.

Gas tank on drivers side only so if you have a full 26 gal it might lean a bit on that side

So I would need to replace the rear spring leaf in order to level the rear?

Pretty much all mass produced cars and trucks are off half an inch. If your off two inches your likely out of tolerance and could get a new spring under warranty. 

It’s an 09, so warranty isn’t going to happen.

11 minutes ago, kevin79 said:

It’s an 09, so warranty isn’t going to happen.

Cheap fix is a pair of air shocks. Get a second line kit and you can put more air in one side then the other.  Under $100 and your truck is level. 

New leaf springs might fix it, might not. Depends on the cause. 

So I would need to replace the rear spring leaf in order to level the rear?

If you have an 2007.5 - 2018 you have coil spring front suspension and leaf spring rear suspension.

First measure from frame to ground to determine what side is sagging. Then look closely at rear leaf springs and bolts, hangers ,etc to see if a spring is broke or a hanger damaged.

If only the rear is off I’d install a pair of new leaf springs.

Fun fact Chevy gmc truck suspension:

1973 - 1987 leaf spring front and rear 4x4. 2wd had coil front
1988 - 2007 torsion bar front. Leaf spring rear 4x4. 2wd coil front.
2007.5 - 2018 coil spring front. Leaf spring rear 4x4 & 2wd.

GM HD trucks still use torsion bar front suspension.

Full size SUV used coil spring rear suspension 2000 - 2018.