Zane

Chevy Cruze Sales Bomb - Lordstown Plant To Lose Shift & Jobs

For one the new Cruze isn't very good looking in my opinion, and if it the resale on them tanks like my 2014 did then no wonder no one wants one.

Yeah well the Hyundai's and Crapotas are not very good looking either but they still sell..

Posted (edited)

Honda saw a record high last month, so it's not industry wide. And it wasn't their new Accord, it's actually selling worse. :dunno:

And resale on most Chevy's tank anymore. The Camaro guys moan like they put 50k in stocks that tanked.  

And the corporate look is pretty meh.

Would you rather have a loaded equinox or sam-is-a-butt.jpg

Edited by SnakeEyeSS

With a big ugly grill like that, i'll take the Equinox!

I'm just not into the "foreign" cars...most feel too utilitarian to me.

I owned several Subarus, most uncomfortable car you could buy. We drove several Toyota, Hyundai, etc. when looking for a car...kept coming back to the Equinox for ride and comfort. A lot of them were too gadget-laden for our liking...call us old school, but I grew up with trucks that didn't even have AC let alone power windows, heck power steering was an option then!

Even the "HD" truck options are a glorified 1500 (have yet to see one with a full-float axle)...the Toyota and Nissan do nothing for me...if I want a Cummins, I'll buy a Dodge with a real drivetrain. Not to mention those "full size" trucks seem small to me...

I could care less how fast they are, how many gadgets they have...

2012 2500hd 6.0l CCSB 4wd

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The Honda Civic has been the number 1 selling car in Canada since 1997, and continues to lead the pack.  If I ever needed a car, a 2 door Civic Coupe would be my choice.

GM has a ton of catching up to do.

They should add extra SUV production to that plant, follow Ford’s recent move.

Edited by WilliamBos

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Zane

A 2019 Trail Boss From The Media First Drive In Wyoming
      Zane Merva
      Executive Editor, GM-Trucks.com
      9/4/2018

It hasn't moved one inch. Our 2019 Silverado has sat outside the Fort Wayne Production Factory for a few days shy of one month after being built. Why? We're still not sure. Also, according to Chevy.com's Chat, our order doesn't have an event code. Without an event code we're not sure where our Silverado is in the system or what its status is. 

As we said early last week, the reasons for our truck still being at the factory a month after completion range from quality defect to shipping issues. No matter the reason, this is starting to all look pretty silly. In reality, ordering a truck may have been the wrong move. Buying the first random truck to hit our dealer's lot may have been the better move. 

The 2019 Silverado and Sierra launch is arguably one of the most important the company has ever worked on. Are they moving slow and making sure things don't go wrong? Or is GM secretly having issues producing and moving the all new platform? We're not sure. We want to say the former, but the longer our truck sits in Indiana, we're inclined to believe the later. 
    • By Zane

Zane Merva
      7/30/18

Right on cue, our 2019 Silverado has been loaded onto the factory computers and will be built at some point in the next few days.  If you've been following our adventure of being one of the first to take delivery of a new 2019 Chevy Silverado LTZ then you've seen us go through each step of the process. 

First we ordered.  Then we got our order number.  THEN we found out when our order would be produced. Today we have confirmation that our Silverado has reached event code 3400, which means that our options have been loaded onto the plant's computer. Our optioned out sleek blue beauty will soon go from our imagination to real life sheet metal. 

The next step is Event Code is 3800, which will indicate that not only has our 2019 been built but also has a VIN assigned. Shortly after that is 4000 and 4200 which will mean our Silverado is ready to be shipped and then on its way. 

Thanks to Chevrolet Chat for giving us the skinny on our order. Stay tuned for more updates as they come in. 
    • By Gorehamj

John Goreham
      Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
      6-12-2018

General Motors is scaling back the production of its sedans to match the declining sales the company has been seeing for those models. One example is the Lordstown, Ohio production facility that builds the Chevrolet Cruze. Last year the Lordstown plant had about 4,000 workers building the sedan. That count will be reduced to about 1,500 after the latest buyouts. The plant first eliminated the third shift. That reduced the jobs in the plant by about 1,000. Now GM is planning further cuts to eliminate the second shift. 

To encourage workers to quit, rather than be laid off, GM is offering workers a financial incentive to move on to other work or to retire. Local news affiliate WFMJ reports that those workers who qualify for and accept an early retirement will receive a $60,000 incentive payment. Workers who opt to quit their union job will receive a buyout of between $50,000 and $5,000 depending upon their length of service with the company.  

With unemployment near historic lows in America, 3.7% as of the last report, 4.0% in Ohio overall, this would seem to be the best of times to be making the difficult transition to new work. In Trumbull County Ohio, where Lordstown is located, the unemployment rate is higher than the national average at 5.5%. However, one neighboring county, Geauga County, has a 3.8% rate.  

Local employment groups are stepping up to help out. Last year, the Youngstown/Warren Regional Chamber provided a list of companies in the area that were hiring to GM and United Auto Workers.
      “We would certainly be pleased to offer that service [again],” said Sarah Boyarko, the chamber’s senior vice president of economic development. “I think there are employment opportunities for these folks when they go through that separation, and oftentimes, it’s a matter of knowing where to go.”

Year to date sales of the Chevy Cruze were down 26% year over year when reported by GM in March. The Cruze competes with cars like the Honda Civic line and the Toyota Corolla line. This month, Toyota released an all-new Toyota Corolla Hatchback. Its gasoline engine is expected to be rated at 36 MPG combined, higher than the current Cruze diesel hatchback. It is also expected to be quicker and will have more standard safety features included than the Cruze.   

Related Stories:
      GM Announces Factory Location For Self-Driving Vehicle Production
      GM Will Add 700 Jobs To Crossover Plant in Tenn. - Partly To Build Vehicles For Export - Guess Where To
      GM Picks Kansas, Rather Than China, For Next Premium Crossover
      FCA Moving Ram HD Production From Mexico to Warren Michigan
      Canadian GM Strike Over - Guess Who Won?

• By Zane

These are 2014's... but imagine this as a line of 2019 Silverado
      Zane Merva
      6/4/18

Only eight more weeks until GM-Trucks.com's all new 2019 Silverado roars to life. That is, as long as our LTZ's scheduled production week holds firm. 

If you've been following along, you know we've already put in our order for an all new 2019 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ. About three weeks ago we visited our local dealership, Banks Chevrolet in Concord, NH  and placed our order into the system on the very first day we could. Not long after we received our official order number. Now, we can report our order has gone at least a few steps further in the production process and has been assigned a build week and entered Status 3300 in GM's production system. 

If all goes to schedule, we've learned that our 2019 Silverado LTZ will be built during the week of July 30th, 2018. This assignment of a production week means that all of the parts Chevrolet will use to assemble our truck have been ordered, allocated, and assigned to our vehicle. All we have to do is wait for it to come together at the factory. 

So if all goes to schedule, when will we take delivery? That's the million dollar question. We assume some level of delay leaving the factory during the first few months of production. Assuming our truck rolls of the line during production week two, we expect a  hold before the truck starts the journey to New Hampshire. We're hoping for a late August delivery but are prepared for September instead. No need to rush- we'd like a quality truck please. 

So how did we get such "insider" information about our truck build? Surprisingly, the Chevrolet.com Website Chat. Yes, the brand's website customer assistance chat app. Which means- if you have an order in for a 2019 Silverado or Sierra, all you have to do is ask the Chevy or GMC website chat representative for help with your order. All you need is your order number. It was quick easy, and we found out our truck's production week in about 5 minutes. 

We'll keep you updated as we get more details about our LTZ's build progress.