Electronic Rust Protection Module

On 4/15/2018 at 2:15 AM, 300 Blackout said:

I purchased a 2014 Sierra that had a Sym-Tec system installed. It doesn’t appear to have been effective at all. The amount of rust on my frame was so excessive that it required grinding/stripping and a rust converter just to be able to treat it with POR-15. There was also rust in the interior of the vehicle around the bolts where the rear seats attach to the floor.

I wouldn’t be surprised if someone smarter than I figured out that my frame was actually acting as the “sacrificial anode” referenced above.

IMG_3727.thumb.JPG.3c7a7f5f2bba9f33067cb056a3cbc566.JPG

IMG_3832.thumb.JPG.0a158e1c5dffa1e226ca787d235dabe5.JPG

That bolt is leaking through from the under side...  You need to re-seal it.  I had the same issue on a a 2007 Colorado. 

I just knocked it down and re-sealed it, but salty water is coming up the threads..

Just make sure it can be knocked down if not seal it at the floor from the inside and some sealer on the threads will help.

On 4/14/2018 at 9:15 AM, MapleBud said:

I’ve got one in my Sierra, it was thrown in because I was requesting undercoating and they stated they no longer offered it. I did some research on it but am still sceptical. One website stated the US Navy uses them on their vessels, of course on a larger scale. My own experience I’ve found my brake rotors don’t rust. Every car I ever owned within hours of washing and sitting in the driveway, the rotors would rust. On my Sierra with this electronic rust protection my rotors have never rusted/oxidized.

These don't do anything on vehicles.  As others have said they only work on things like ships where you have saltwater mixed with air and mixed with different metals.

Your brake rotors on your new Sierra don't rust because GM started using a new process in 2014.  They now coat the rotors with a special process (called Ferritic Nitro-Carburizing or "FNC") that bonds a thin layer of nitrogen atoms on the rotor.  It hardens the surface and prevents rust and warping:

http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/news.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2011/Nov/1130_fnc.html

That why you should not turn the rotors on these trucks (and many of the newer GM vehicles now have this as well).