Truck sag while towing

There's your answer right there.  It does look like you have a fair amount of tongue weight, added spring rate in the rear will help your truck handle the load much better.  Sumo springs can certainly help as well and are cheap and easy to install, airbags offer more capability/adjustability but take a bit more effort to install. 

I'll probably still pick up a set of the sumosprings... Just for the extra support when needed. We have never taken the camper on long trips everything we have done has been within 50 miles from where we live.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'll probably still pick up a set of the sumosprings... Just for the extra support when needed. We have never taken the camper on long trips everything we have done has been within 50 miles from where we live.

I wouldn't waste the money on suspension dohickies for 50 miles...your WDH is all you need.

2012 2500hd 6.0l CCSB 4wd

I'd go with sumo springs in addition to the WDH.  Remeber that truck is empty right now. I assume it's full of family when you go camping
I think so too. They aren't expensive, and piece of mind is good.

That looks like total crap--I wouldn't drive it a mile like that.  The answer is air bags--worth every penny and the azz pain of dropping your spare to mount 'em!!!  I mounted  air bags w/o the compressor with each line coming to a different valve under my license plate light.  I wish I had run them to a single valve, but I thought I would run different air pressure for side to side leveling...I never do that though.   When I know I am going to tow or pick up some lumber, I put 20-30psi in them.  Makes all the difference in the world.   When I'm done, I let air out until I get to 5psi.   

That looks like total crap--I wouldn't drive it a mile like that.  The answer is air bags--worth every penny and the azz pain of dropping your spare to mount 'em!!!  I mounted  air bags w/o the compressor with each line coming to a different valve under my license plate light.  I wish I had run them to a single valve, but I thought I would run different air pressure for side to side leveling...I never do that though.   When I know I am going to tow or pick up some lumber, I put 20-30psi in them.  Makes all the difference in the world.   When I'm done, I let air out until I get to 5psi.   
Total crap?!?! Seems a bit extreme. I know what they say about opinions but damn. Lol I'll get it leveled out soon but it handled well enough for the trip I had to make.

I would look at a Ride Rite system also.  They use Firestone brand air bags and very heavy duty.  You can either plumb them to a shrader valve or install and on board air pump.

is the WDH adjusted for the truck? Am I wrong saying the brackets are pulled in on the trailer and the hitch angle itself seems off? 

My trailer is pretty close to yours in size. I have sumosprings but even before them, it didnt squat nearly as much as yours. 

I messed with a WDH like yours but found I could level better with a bar system.  I can hit my rear end levels less than half an inch with the trailer on.

The other issue is you may have to re-distribute  your load and shift a little more of the heavy weight to the rear.

The storage is always near the front on older style campers like yours and mine and everyone tends to load the fronts up to much.

If you look at newer travel trailers they've started allowing for more rear storage for this reason.

I take my family to the MIS NASCAR race in Michigan so we have a heavy load for that.

I always add extra weight to the rear for that trip. IE pops, Water, the food coolers.  That helps balance out the extra nose weight we have.

I also put allot of weight in the mid section but I'm lucky my table and sofa are right over the axels so it acts like a bowl to hold all of our junk...

23 hours ago, bcbz71 said:

That looks like total crap--I wouldn't drive it a mile like that.  The answer is air bags--worth every penny and the azz pain of dropping your spare to mount 'em!!!

Don't need to drop spare to install airbags.

OP - get this and your worries are done:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001FEOSPS

Easy to install too, with basic tools. 

I have the fill valves routed next to the trailer hookup plug.  Fill them up individually.   I use this to fill them up: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0012WHBSO

Archived