Deals were just too good...Picked this up yesterday.

Cool deal! Nice truck!

I had to order mine since I couldn't find one with the options I wanted.  That left me with far less negotiating power.  I still ended up paying about 10K off MSRP due to the rebates/incentives in March.

On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 1:17 PM, RadoRage said:

2018 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab LT Z71 4x4. Only additional options were the 20" wheels, center console w/ wireless charging and the trailer brake controller.  Love it!

truck pic.jpg

Very nice.

6 hours ago, Kubs said:

Cool deal! Nice truck!

I had to order mine since I couldn't find one with the options I wanted.  That left me with far less negotiating power.  I still ended up paying about 10K off MSRP due to the rebates/incentives in March.

How does that leave you "with far less negotiating power"?

2 hours ago, duquephart said:

I'd say a little less... Bonus tags and what not don't get applied to ordered trucks...

1 hour ago, duquephart said:

Sure they do. You get whatever is going on at the time of delivery.

Bonus tags are put on trucks that have been sitting on the lot a while I believe, not one that is ordered in and never 'sits' on the lot waiting to be sold... Otherwise yes all incentives apply at time of delivery but, you can't really dig in for that extra discount at the end of a quarter or the end of the year when the dealer wants to get a vehicle off their lot... It's probably worth the extra cost to get the truck just like you want though.

6 hours ago, Imcrazy said:

Bonus tags are put on trucks that have been sitting on the lot a while I believe, not one that is ordered in and never 'sits' on the lot waiting to be sold... Otherwise yes all incentives apply at time of delivery but, you can't really dig in for that extra discount at the end of a quarter or the end of the year when the dealer wants to get a vehicle off their lot... It's probably worth the extra cost to get the truck just like you want though.

Bonus tags are (were) put on whatever the dealer wanted to put them on. They were totally up to the dealer to use as they saw fit. I was promised a tag when I ordered my truck. I got exactly what I wanted at less than 80% of MSRP.

Bonus tags are (were) put on whatever the dealer wanted to put them on. They were totally up to the dealer to use as they saw fit. I was promised a tag when I ordered my truck. I got exactly what I wanted at less than 80% of MSRP.

Well that’s sweet I stand corrected! I think I’ll b ordering my next truck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, duquephart said:

If you find one on a lot that has already been ordered and waiting to be bought you can haggle the price down further because the dealer is losing money the longer it sits there.  When you order you are choosing not to get what they have in stock and get exactly what you want.  You are not committed to the order but now they know this is what you're looking for and you ordered it because you couldn't find one nearby.  Chances of you walking out to go buy a vehicle elsewhere are slim.  That works to their advantage.

2 hours ago, duquephart said:

Sounds like you got a pretty good deal!  I wouldn't count on that every time though.

59 minutes ago, Kubs said:

If you find one on a lot that has already been ordered and waiting to be bought you can haggle the price down further because the dealer is losing money the longer it sits there.  When you order you are choosing not to get what they have in stock and get exactly what you want.  You are not committed to the order but now they know this is what you're looking for and you ordered it because you couldn't find one nearby.  Chances of you walking out to go buy a vehicle elsewhere are slim.  That works to their advantage.

Chances of you walking out to go deal/order elsewhere are the same. They prefer you take one off the lot because it's an immediate sale, but once they understand you to be an "order customer" it's basically the same game. They still want to move a unit. One could argue that you get a better deal on a factory order because it's a "sold unit" and is gone as soon as it hits the ground. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kubs said:

Sounds like you got a pretty good deal!  I wouldn't count on that every time though.

Getting exactly what I wanted for about the same as someone who compromises and grabs up whatever is lying around? Yeah, I think that's a "pretty good deal".

You have to time the order just right. The deals/offers/tags are based on the day you buy it not order it. So the dealer will give you whatever is available from GM the day your truck arrives. You have to play the guessing game and decide how long it will take your truck to get built, and how long to ship then try to order so it falls in the window you want. 

There can be additional deals if a car ages out. Meaning if it sits on the lot around 90 days. But if they sit to long those go away. For example a 2017 RCSB cost more then a 2018RCSB right now because it sat past the rebates. I tried buying a 2017 last week. Dealer was hell bent on getting more then a 2018 that was also on his lot. I moved on. An ordered truck wont get those deals since it wont age out. These are specifically up to the dealer. Small dealers often need the cash and will blow out a car. Large dealers don't care and will let the car sit. of course there are always exceptions. I have seen dealers that I worked for turn the aged out trucks into there parts truck. They just keep them rather then blow them out at a loss. 

I got my 2015 Z28 for around $38,000 off MSRP because the dealer had the car for over a year and wanted it gone. The dealer actually lost money. After 180 days the dealer has to actually pay for the car and they basically own it. Under 90 days the dealers kinda gets the car for free. After 90 days they often have to pay "rent". Those days are an estimation and can change from dealer to dealer, brand to brand but they work to make my point. 

23 minutes ago, frenchsquared said:

You have to time the order just right. The deals/offers/tags are based on the day you buy it not order it. So the dealer will give you whatever is available from GM the day your truck arrives. You have to play the guessing game and decide how long it will take your truck to get built, and how long to ship then try to order so it falls in the window you want. 

There can be additional deals if a car ages out. Meaning if it sits on the lot around 90 days. But if they sit to long those go away. For example a 2017 RCSB cost more then a 2018RCSB right now because it sat past the rebates. I tried buying a 2017 last week. Dealer was hell bent on getting more then a 2018 that was also on his lot. I moved on. An ordered truck wont get those deals since it wont age out. These are specifically up to the dealer. Small dealers often need the cash and will blow out a car. Large dealers don't care and will let the car sit. of course there are always exceptions. I have seen dealers that I worked for turn the aged out trucks into there parts truck. They just keep them rather then blow them out at a loss. 

I got my 2015 Z28 for around $38,000 off MSRP because the dealer had the car for over a year and wanted it gone. The dealer actually lost money. After 180 days the dealer has to actually pay for the car and they basically own it. Under 90 days the dealers kinda gets the car for free. After 90 days they often have to pay "rent". Those days are an estimation and can change from dealer to dealer, brand to brand but they work to make my point. 

No such thing as timing the order right. Future incentives are unknown. The manufacturer is constantly adjusting to inventory and market conditions as well many other factors. Ordering is a crapshoot in that regard - will the incentives be more or less attractive? You can, however, control how much you are going to pay the dealer before rebates, etc. It really surprises me how little seems to be known on a vehicle specific forum about the best way to buy one.